push ups and sit ups for improved sprint?

ToffoIsMe

Aug 19, 2005
I was told by a local cat 2 racer that push ups and sit ups help to improve power during sprints, especially standing sprints. Is this genuine information, or just another cycling rumor? Anyone notice any power increase in their sprints after doing sit ups and push ups for a few weeks?

Having a strong upper body and core is essential for good sprinting on a bike. Don't forget to work your lower back and pulling strength. Say hello to deadlifts and bent-over rows.

ToffoIsMe said:
I was told by a local cat 2 racer that push ups and sit ups help to improve power during sprints, especially standing sprints. Is this genuine information, or just another cycling rumor? Anyone notice any power increase in their sprints after doing sit ups and push ups for a few weeks?

The sides of your trunk are very important so don't just rely on regular sit-ups. Pilates is really good for strengthening your core for sprinting. Push-ups would be okay, but you can do more, like VeloManCT mentions, especially movements that pull towards you instead of pushing away.

Or you can do lots of standing starts and uphill sprints.

Interesting Warren as usual.

I must confess I am pretty bad in the hills. I think I'll begin this summer season with some of those sprints, just to get power up. Then I'll work on longer sustained L5 pace.

Now I only got to convince my knees about this plan :)

SolarEnergy said:
Interesting Warren as usual.

I must confess I am pretty bad in the hills. I think I'll begin this summer season with some of those sprints, just to get power up. Then I'll work on longer sustained L5 pace.

Now I only got to convince my knees about this plan :)

I prepare for the very high stresses on ligaments, tendons and lower back during the uphill sprints with about 6 weeks of the SFR training: big gear, low cadence, on hills. Some other people prepare for these stresses with gym training.

I do what you call L5 later on too, but that's not related to the uphill sprints. It's because I need to do plenty of preparation work before the longer (>30") L5 intervals. Gradual progressions, always.

As far as hill sprints and standing starts, they won't strengthen your muscles like lifting weights will. 2 years ago I did a lot of hill sprints and big gear sprints, then started lifting. Even 100lbs felt heavy in the squat when I started. I think all sprinters, maybe even the roadie sprinters should do some total body resistance training, yearround. A good example would be to do just a few heavy sets of 2-3reps in each week: squat/deadlift/step-up, incline weighted sit ups, bench press, bent-over row. It's very unlikely that a total volume this small (5-10reps) will cause any soreness or have any negative effect on your riding or endurance. And remember, you only gain weight when you eat more than calories than you burn.

velomanct said:
As far as hill sprints and standing starts, they won't strengthen your muscles like lifting weights will. 2 years ago I did a lot of hill sprints and big gear sprints, then started lifting. Even 100lbs felt heavy in the squat when I started. I think all sprinters, maybe even the roadie sprinters should do some total body resistance training, yearround. A good example would be to do just a few heavy sets of 2-3reps in each week: squat/deadlift/step-up, incline weighted sit ups, bench press, bent-over row. It's very unlikely that a total volume this small (5-10reps) will cause any soreness or have any negative effect on your riding or endurance. And remember, you only gain weight when you eat more than calories than you burn.

Starting with, different things work for different people... I know masters nat's champion sprinters who use weight training almost all year, and some that never do weight training.

Pettachi, et al, will do some gym work for about 5-6 weeks at the beginning of their winter training but that's about it.

My own experience going from doing uphill sprints and then to the gym is different from yours. Up until about 4 years ago I did squats, leg press, etc. from December to June for 2 years straight. Once, about 2 years ago I tried some squats just to see what the carry over was from the uphill sprints and all the other sprints I do, to squats. I did pretty much my (previous) squat weight on the first attempts.

Two weeks ago I got a fractured scapula in a race so I've been going to the gym and doing leg presses, curls, extensions. The weight I used the second day at the gym is pretty much the same as what I used 4 years ago after months and months (over 2 seasons) of weight training in the gym.

I am much better at sprinting now than I was 4 years ago.

2-3 reps sets... how would that transfer over to bike efforts lasting 15+ seconds that require many more reps? How would 2-3 reps sets be different from the effort done during the first 2-3 pedal strokes on the bike during a hard jump or standing start, especially when going uphill?

WarrenG said:
2-3 reps sets... how would that transfer over to bike efforts lasting 15+ seconds that require many more reps? How would 2-3 reps sets be different from the effort done during the first 2-3 pedal strokes on the bike during a hard jump or standing start, especially when going uphill?

I say 2-3 rep sets because the only goal would be strength. I do believe there is a crossover, even though the velocity and movement is not the same as pedaling. From what I experienced, 10-20 rep sets with weights don't help my sprint, especially if my sprint is already good. I wouldn't look to train my long sprint in the gym. That should solely be done on the bike IMO.

I believe a higher total body strength will allow for more improvements to be made in bike sprinting. Although I don't think it would directly improve your sprint. Strength training is a means to elevate your limit capacity for more improvement in high power sprinting (5sec).

Veloman,

What does your yearly weight training program look like? How many workout per week, what's the workout duration?

velomanct said:
I say 2-3 rep sets because the only goal would be strength. I do believe there is a crossover, even though the velocity and movement is not the same as pedaling...

I agree there would be some crossover, but how/why would the gym 2-3 reps be better than the uphill standing starts for 4-5 pedal strokes? Don't you exert just as much effort/force during those uphill standing starts as you do when you move the weight bar?

WarrenG said:
I agree there would be some crossover, but how/why would the gym 2-3 reps be better than the uphill standing starts for 4-5 pedal strokes? Don't you exert just as much effort/force during those uphill standing starts as you do when you move the weight bar?

The effort would be same, but the force would be less on the bike. This was covered in one of my previous threads. We came to the conclusion that when you are on the bike you are in a more disadvantaged postion for producing maximal force compared to using weights. I still think uphill/big gear sprints are very useful, but it's good to supplement them with heavy weights.

SolarEnergy said:
Veloman,

What does your yearly weight training program look like? How many workout per week, what's the workout duration?
My training is not too structured. Over the past few years I unfortunetly haven't been too consistent with my training for more than 3 months. I want to stay on track now. My plan is to do moderate weight resistence training, while building up my overall condition for the next month. In april I will focus completely on heavy weights, low reps, trying to build max strength. In may I will switch to power movements with weights (cleans, explosive squats, etc.) I will repeat this alternating pattern through sept. And starting in April, my volume for weights will be low - 8-12 total reps, so as to not hinder my sprinting(no soreness!). The key is to not get stuck doing the same thing for very long. Your body will adapt and your training will not be as effective.

I lift 3 times a week, alternating between squat, deadlifts, step-ups as my core workouts. Upper body - I get lazy and usually hit that twice a week.

My only goal is sprinting. I expect to completely destroy all my previous personal bests from last year.

WarrenG said:
I agree - all you can do is all you can do no matter what the venue. Whether you can do more on x or y machine at the gym vs on the bike is irrelevant since you can produce maximal efforts either way (and the bike is more specific).

velomanct said:
Having a strong upper body and core is essential for good sprinting on a bike. Don't forget to work your lower back and pulling strength. Say hello to deadlifts and bent-over rows.
i love all the rowing exercises, it give the back the strength and pulls the fat from the front of the body to make it look slimmer too:)

velomanct said:
rows are great just start easy at first , probably 3 weeks to get used to the new movements high reps then increase the weight and go low reps

Old Junker said:
i love all the rowing exercises, it give the back the strength and pulls the fat from the front of the body to make it look slimmer too:)
You dont get to choose where you want to burn fat! Trust me if this was the case I would be working on getting rid of fat on the knees and calves so I have more muscle definition :D . I have fatter legs than arms yet I haven't done upper body exercises for 6 months :eek: ...yet I ride a minimum 400km's a week.

velomanct said:
A good example would be to do just a few heavy sets of 2-3reps in each week: squat/deadlift/step-up, incline weighted sit ups, bench press, bent-over row. It's very unlikely that a total volume this small (5-10reps) will cause any soreness or have any negative effect on your riding or endurance. And remember, you only gain weight when you eat more than calories than you burn.
I do entire body resistance work at the gym every other day. I find that appart from the occasional fatigue my body feels afterwards and slight tenseness the next day I am able to ride without problem. Just make sure you stretch before and after to avoid injury and increase recovery. If you're weight concious monitor urself. If you begin to build muscle it will weigh you down. Remeber muscle weighs more than fat. But it should help as it acts as a trade off for more power.

dm69 said:
You dont get to choose where you want to burn fat! Trust me if this was the case I would be working on getting rid of fat on the knees and calves so I have more muscle definition :D . I have fatter legs than arms yet I haven't done upper body exercises for 6 months :eek: ...yet I ride a minimum 400km's a week.
maybe you should just call the excess fat on your legs, un-trained muscle ;)

You guys ( and you know who you are) just cant resist the the weight training subject ??:) In the same way it takes the body some time to learn to make power in circles, it takes more than a few winter months to teach the CNS to learn the firing patterns to bring out your full lifting capabilities . This is even more true for the squat and deadlift. If you tall, even more time.....the pulling of the chin up and pushing of push ups will help out with sprintng . Then you have to do tons of various sprints and learn to push and pull in the bars. Warren and veloman have a phd in that subject