Sick of the heat!

rule62 said:
Home commute was 97 degrees yesterday and it actually felt like a cool snap had come through compared to the 107's of last week. :p

Oh man, I'm anxious for anything under 100. That seems to be my breaking point for enjoyability.

JTE83 said:
I hate heat. Quit my recent workout at 88F and high humidity. I did bike in 95F heat last year, but this year I'd rather just stay inside and waste away in air conditioning.

This is why I stay in Chicago where it's usually cool, I'd hate to live in the hot states like FL, NV, or TX.
+1 here, I lived in Dallas for a few years and I had enough of that heat.

Heat index in kansas where I live has been up to 117 degrees. I've been leaving every morning at around 5:30 a.m., but I get back at about noon and by that time I'm about ready to die. I ended up pulling over to the road today and puking my guts out, combination of gel, bagels and boiling hot syrupy gatorade...yummy.

My main problem is the promoters of the my next race this weekend made the start times at 11:30 a.m.. Thats going to be torture to say the least. It's also been really windy lately, so training has been less than fun and is turning into more of a drudgy. Oh well last race of my season. I'm looking forward to taking a week off before I start cyclocross training.

I'd love to live in Oregon where my sister lives, the climate and surroundings seem much more moderate than the extremes you find in the midwest.

We"ve just had the hottest July on record here in the UK with the 25th being the hottest day since records began.3 words best describe it.HELL, MISERY and TORMENT.As you can guess l don"t do heat and l have complete sympathy with you.All the best.

JTE83 said:
This is why I stay in Chicago where it's usually cool, I'd hate to live in the hot states like FL, NV, or TX.
My afternoon run home, yesterday was 108 degrees (heat index) along the lakefront. Today is going to be much of the same. Even the wind feels like a blast furnace.

-GN

This just makes me thankful for air conditioning... I can scarcely imagine how people could have survived for millenia without it.

DiabloScott said:
95°F is usually when I say no to an afternoon ride. I've done 98° a few times and it's just not fun. Tomorrow's supposed to be 105°... I think I'll go work out at the club instead.
Rode 4 hours (83 miles) in 109 degree ACTUAL TEMPERATURE last week. Stayed hydrated and ate frequently and it was no issue. Of course in Nebraska this was at least the 10th time I have ridden in temps over 100 degrees, so I am used to it.

I rode (fitness rides, higher cadence) twice last week in the peak heat of the day, somewhere around 97deg. I don't know what the heat index was, but I got heat exhaustion both days (headache, nausea) and had plenty of warning about it from my body. It wasn't a big deal because I took a nap and the bad feelings went away, but I wouldn't deliberately do that again. I rode home from work Tuesday, it was about 91, and it wasn't that bad. I drank a lot of water and didn't push too hard. I guess I would not do any training/fitness rides until afternoon or early morning to avoid the heat, but since my commute times are off hours and the afternoon commute falls in the peak heat time(2:30pm) I really don't have much choice in that. I just slow down a little and listen to what my body is telling me. I won't ignore the warning signs again.

I spent all day from 9:00 a.m. until 6 p.m. today in hopes of getting used to the heat for my race coming up this saturday. I couldn't seem to get my diet just right and the water was hot and nasty. Started getting the shakes and feeling like I was going to throw up. I think the temp was around 102 degrees and I did about 130 miles with a few stops in the gas stations along the way to cool off. Seemed about the only thing that would settle my stomach was strawberry pop tarts.

Anybody ever use gel with caffeine such as the power bar double caffeine tangerine on a hot day. I had three of those and I wonder if that was upsetting my stomach?

heathb said:
Anybody ever use gel with caffeine such as the power bar double caffeine tangerine on a hot day. I had three of those and I wonder if that was upsetting my stomach?
On high heat days, you really have to watch the caffeine/water intake ratio. You need to take in more water and salts than you do caffeine.

Personally, on high heat days, I watch my HRM to keep my pace within my endurance zone (75-80%) regardless what it does to my cadence/speed, and I pound down the fluids as I ride. Every 10 minutes, I am sucking on the bottle. Since I my expelled fluids (sweat) are wicked away as I ride, it is difficult to pick up on that first warning that a heat injury is on the way. So, I keep the tanks well hydrated. Plus, I increase the sport drink/water ratio as the mercury rises, to ensure I get my salts and electrolytes.

-GN

You Yanks are SOFT!! (jk :) LOL - come on down and do some hills in South Australia through January ! For four days this year it AVERAGED 46C! (114.8F) Sometimes the heat is SO damn intense, you can do 4 hours and barely REMEMBER any of it !

~gm~

heathb said:
I spent all day from 9:00 a.m. until 6 p.m. today in hopes of getting used to the heat for my race coming up this saturday. I couldn't seem to get my diet just right and the water was hot and nasty. Started getting the shakes and feeling like I was going to throw up. I think the temp was around 102 degrees and I did about 130 miles with a few stops in the gas stations along the way to cool off. Seemed about the only thing that would settle my stomach was strawberry pop tarts.

I would watch the caffine intake on those extreme days. As for the gels a buddy of mine gets sick every time he sucks one down, no matter the flavor or brand. Try one when your not on the bike and see how your body reacts. if all is well it was probably the heat (along with being on a bike in it for 9 hours).

Caden said:
I hear ya. I'm in Texas and we can go many days without a high below 100. Asphalt roads and parking lots actually get sticky and soft.
Yea im in Texas also, havent had the roads be sticky but the roads around here are pretty decent and have wide sholders on the highways where everybody rides. I have only not rode 1 day this summer due to heat with it was like 110 a few weeks ago. When going into strong headwinds even with it being 100+ outside it helps quite a bit since you are getting some sort of airconditioning. I have to ride with my jersy unzipped for more ventiliation pretty much every ride.