@sshole Driver Statistics

"Geoff" <[email protected]
> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Your missus rides and she doesn't want a BT in the house?!?! ;o)

> It's not that she does not want it in the house (Kitchen walkway where
> parking space is getting a little tight) it's more of the $5000 for a
> frame that you only use for half the year mentality I have to crack.

If the car is used all year and it's more than $10k..
you're on a winner!

hippy

LotteBum wrote:

>We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
>
>Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
>on the roads?
>
>I, personally, am always very careful around Commodores. Even the
>newer ones tend to - again, generally speaking - be driven by
>Bogans/Westies/Bevans (but with a tad more cash).
>
>It seems I am too often right when I tell my partner (who hasn't been
>riding on the roads nearly as long as I have) "Just watch out, it's a
>Commodore" and then we get cut off/almost killed by the said vehicle.
>
>I'm interested to see what everyone here thinks.
>
>Cheers,
>Lotte
>
>P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven
>by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.

Greetings,
I don't think you can tarnish all Commodore drivers with
the same brush. Early model VKs and the like, however, with mag wheels
and souped up exhausts, can often be prime candidates.
But I don't think asshole drivers are restricted to any specific type of
vehicle. Pet hates of mine: any 4WD, Subaru WRXs (certifiable wankers at
the wheel), these stupid crew cab monsters (waste unbelievable amounts
of fuel), and oddly enough, late model Commodore and Ford utilities,
which frequently seem to be driven by morons.
But then, in the late 1970s, it was panel vans, Monaros (the original
ones) and Valiant Chargers. Plus la change. Except that there are now
twice as many vehicles on the roads as there were then, so it's
inevitably worse.
Regards,
Ray.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> without doubt the idiot-factor amongst drivers is mutiplied 10-fold if
> there are multiple young males in the car.
>
> Out at Panton Hill a passenger yelled something wierd at me and
> gesticulated and then passed blah and yelled something wierd and seemed
> to slow down then sped off just as a bunch of about a dozen guys came
> by.
> Numbers do work in our favours sometimes :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Yeah, but I've found the car load of hoons to be noisy but relatively
harmless. Far worse, I found is the self-important **** who NEEDS to squeeze
past in chicanes, NEEDS to beat me through a roundabout, etc. Usually in an
upspec Holden or Ford. Not limited to males, either but 'business clothing'
is common.

The 'nobody else on the road but me' 4WD goes without saying...

Frank

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There was a survey done once about 2 or 3 years back by the NRMA regarding
> who were supposed to be the safest allround drivers on the road in
> Sydney......I was tottally flabbergasted when the results came back as
> Tradesmen are generally the safest and I thought WTF???? who are they
> kidding? I reckon they'd have to be among the worst I've struck whilst on
> my bike.
>
> From the bloke doing the local lawn cutting job in a hurry to get as many
> done before the sun goes down to the young builder's apprentice who has

just
> gotten his P Plates back somehow able to get his **** behind the wheel of

> black SS Holden Ute, to the Luigi's in their early 80's hilux van with

paint
> dripping from the back door yackin away to his offsider........the list

goes
> on....they are among the worst with one exception............the BLOODY
> VOLVO driver!!
>
> DJ

I can understand about the tradies. I often drive (sometimes ride part-way)
to work early in the mornings (5.30/6am). The roads are full of tradies and
other blue-collar workers. Traffic is fast and thick (everyone is in a
hurry!) but there seems to be a tacit understanding of who's doing what.
Much less agression and with (the appearance of) more control, albeit 20kph
over the limit. Traffic flows and I get NO grief when riding.

I wonder if tradies and blue-collar, manual workers are more spatially adept
than others and have better proprioception than non-manual workers, leading
to a better use of the space on the road.

Come 8am, traffic slows and becomes a little thinner, slower and bloody
dodgy on a bike. Office workers, shop-assistants and parents taking kiddies
to school come out to play. If I'm due in at work later and am on the road
after about 7.30, I drive. Too fraught with the non-manual people driving
and their lesser spacial intelligence.

Just a theory...

Frank

On 2005-01-24, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>> Any vehicle can contain a ******. Most common
>> wankerbox would be the car with p's displayed.

> Any vehicle can contain a '******', is there more suitable terminology
> for female drivers?

Well, surely, in this day and age of equality amongst the sexes, the
appropriate term is "******" -- after all, failure to treat a woman the
same way as you would treat a man under identical circumstances could be
construed as sexual discrimination, right?

Stuart, not sure if he's joking or not... ;)

LotteBum wrote:
> We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
>
> Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the
> worst on the roads?

Pink Corollas!

Theo

Theo said

>Pink Corollas!

Thanks a lot Theo, I'll keep that in mind next time I see one of those bl00dy cyclists on the road. Actually, she's at the panelbeater at the moment. Having said that, I've never had an at fault accident in her, but plenty of people have tried to kill me whilst driving her.

She's semi retired now and only does about 30km each week. I'm saving her in case I one day have a son - he would absolutely have to drive her. How adorable.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> without doubt the idiot-factor amongst drivers is mutiplied 10-fold if
> there are multiple young males in the car.
>
> Out at Panton Hill a passenger yelled something wierd at me and
> gesticulated and then passed blah and yelled something wierd and seemed
> to slow down then sped off just as a bunch of about a dozen guys came
> by.
> Numbers do work in our favours sometimes :rolleyes:

Was weird, too. I think they called me a "fossicker"... strange. Numbers
helped us out with that ******** once at Hurstbridge who just had to get in
front of Dutch before turning without indicating at a roundabout. Dutch
waved ironically, I gave the bird and Gags was just there and big. Brake
lights went on for a sec as the lone monkey-boy in the the driver's seat did
some arithmatic. Seems he came up with three vs one and drove away.

"Plodder" <CORNED BEEF@NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I can understand about the tradies. I often drive (sometimes ride
> part-way)
> to work early in the mornings (5.30/6am). The roads are full of tradies
> and
> other blue-collar workers. Traffic is fast and thick (everyone is in a
> hurry!) but there seems to be a tacit understanding of who's doing what.
> Much less agression and with (the appearance of) more control, albeit
> 20kph
> over the limit. Traffic flows and I get NO grief when riding.
>
> I wonder if tradies and blue-collar, manual workers are more spatially
> adept
> than others and have better proprioception than non-manual workers,
> leading
> to a better use of the space on the road.

Oh yeah... I jog (yeah, I know, I'm out of the closet!) at 6am most week
days. See if a trady will give way to a pedestrian at a t-intersection as
they scream down quiet suburban streets at 20kph over the limit. No, they
charge at you, making eye contact all the way, and intimidate you into
stopping with 2 tons of weaponry. They're aggressive tools (pun might be
intended). Just a theory... tested theory, though.

"Blah" <[email protected]
> Oh yeah... I jog (yeah, I know, I'm out of the closet!) at 6am most week
> days. See if a trady will give way to a pedestrian at a t-intersection as
> they scream down quiet suburban streets at 20kph over the limit. No, they
> charge at you, making eye contact all the way, and intimidate you into
> stopping with 2 tons of weaponry. They're aggressive tools (pun might be
> intended). Just a theory... tested theory, though.

I keep telling myself to step out.. but my body reacts
too fast and I've already backed off from the road. I
would love to 'out-chicken' one of these tools.

hippy

"Blah" <[email protected]
> Was weird, too. I think they called me a "fossicker"... strange. Numbers
> helped us out with that ******** once at Hurstbridge who just had to get
> in front of Dutch before turning without indicating at a roundabout. Dutch
> waved ironically, I gave the bird and Gags was just there and big. Brake
> lights went on for a sec as the lone monkey-boy in the the driver's seat
> did some arithmatic. Seems he came up with three vs one and drove away.

I missed the last train.. so I rode home. A few dipshits roaring
past and screaming out their windows. Dark car, QUC 801 or
similar was one of them. A guy in another car was hanging out
the window saying something. It didn't sound malicious. They
pulled over up the road a bit and the driver said something
encouraging so I gave him a nod.
My back wheel clicked all the way home.. Poor baby :-(
Note to self: adjust hrm time 10min forward!

hippy

I'm inclined to go with the Commodore/4WD observations, and Falcons as well to a lesser extent. The ones that worry me although I've not had any grief personally with them yet are the new AWD, high ground clearance Commodores and Falcons. Just thinking about the kind of drivers that a car like that is going to appeal to...

> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> > seen driving near home today.
> > Commodore with stickers on windscreen upper above driver "Brad".
> > Above passenger "Brad's *****".
> > no, I am not kidding...

> That's gotta be a pisser of a photo op. if his mate
> Johno is sitting in the front seat with him..
>
> hippy
> "Say cheese, loser!"

I don't even know Brad and am certainly not his *****!

Peter "Johnno" Johnson

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> without doubt the idiot-factor amongst drivers is mutiplied 10-fold if
> there are multiple young males in the car.
>
> Out at Panton Hill a passenger yelled something wierd at me and
> gesticulated and then passed blah and yelled something wierd and seemed
> to slow down then sped off just as a bunch of about a dozen guys came
> by.
> Numbers do work in our favours sometimes :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flyingdutch

That reminds me of having a young fella (in small late model car) yell out
"get a motorbike" as he passed me.
Then the lights about fifty metres up turned red. He was desperately trying
to wind the passenger side window up as I rolled up next to him. I had to
try really hard to stop myself from laughing and look very angry!

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 at 00:40 GMT, Peter Johnson (aka Bruce)
> That reminds me of having a young fella (in small late model car) yell out
> "get a motorbike" as he passed me.
> Then the lights about fifty metres up turned red. He was desperately trying
> to wind the passenger side window up as I rolled up next to him. I had to
> try really hard to stop myself from laughing and look very angry!

Why even bother? Laughing would be much more fun :)

"Nature is pretty" -- CmdrTaco

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:07:16 +1100, LotteBum <[email protected]> Wrote :

> We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
>
> Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
> on the roads?

The moving ones. The staionary ones are a bit of a worry too....

--

Humbug

"Peter Johnson" <[email protected]
> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
>> > seen driving near home today.
>> > Commodore with stickers on windscreen upper above driver "Brad".
>> > Above passenger "Brad's *****".
>> > no, I am not kidding...

>> That's gotta be a pisser of a photo op. if his mate
>> Johno is sitting in the front seat with him..
>>
>> hippy
>> "Say cheese, loser!"
>>

> I don't even know Brad and am certainly not his *****!
>
> Peter "Johnno" Johnson

The "other" Johnno.. ;-)

hippy

Humbug wrote,
>> We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
>> Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
>> on the roads?

> The moving ones. The staionary ones are a bit of a worry too....

Inner city and inner west Sydney: I don't mind the Taxis, they give me good
clearance, signal their intentions clearly, and leave me the room I take. I
love that, I take room, they give it to me. The main thing with all drivers
in inner Sydney is: take and keep the lane.

Busses are a bit worse, they take alot of room, and don't give much. But
their buslanes are a haven, and as long as you block them neatly they'll go
all the way around you safely.

Every other driver gets weighed, judged, and sometimes found wanting.

Vehicles pulling out of a drive-way, side street who think I'm slower than I
am, argh. Next to most recent one on the way back from critical mass,
"Congential? Or is it a learning disorder?" The pedestrians saw instantly
what had happened, and I saw big smiles on their faces. The driver looked
like they realised what they were about to do in the end.

Favourite:

Woolworths left turn into George St., I'm turning left from left lane, car
turns left around my right, into the left most lane. Who got yelled at all
the way down George St.? "Next time why don't you try to kill me? You did
well enough without thinking."

yours,
Sam.

hippy said:
"Peter Johnson" <[email protected]
> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
>> > seen driving near home today.
>> > Commodore with stickers on windscreen upper above driver "Brad".
>> > Above passenger "Brad's *****".
>> > no, I am not kidding...

>> That's gotta be a pisser of a photo op. if his mate
>> Johno is sitting in the front seat with him..
>>
>> hippy
>> "Say cheese, loser!"
>>

> I don't even know Brad and am certainly not his *****!
>
> Peter "Johnno" Johnson