The Thread about Nothing....

classic1 said:
I disagree. Sprinting after a long road race can be as much about who has strength and the freshest legs as it is about 'speed'.

Agree with Classo....in my case it was about who could actually muster any sort of sprint effort without cramping!. I was rolling into the finish just glad it was all over. We had a group of about 15 or so, only half of whom had been pulling turns since Camperdown...get to 2km to go & all of a sudden these blokes are rolling through, said to my mate "I reckon these blokes are planning on sprinting"...me mate goes, "WTF, none of them have done a turn in about 90 clicks & all the places were decided about 2 hours ago"!....sure enough, at 1km a bloke tries to go off the front, then another, then another, then it was on. I didn't really care, but it was just the sheer cheek of sitting on the back all day & then wanting to 'roll' me in the sprint, I was having none of that!!!!....so the whole bunch is sprinting for friggin' 50th place or some such....I get out of the saddle & get the "WARNING WILL ROBINSON, WARNING...MAJOR CRAMP IMMINENT" & sit down again :D....still most of the peckerheads 'shot their load' too early & I still managed to finish in front of most of 'em.

531Aussie said:
Were you fully grown then? If so, that's tough to fathom, coz I think I'm the same height as you (182cm), and I've never been below about 77 since I was 13! :D
Still had a bit of 'filling out' to do. I could do 1200km a week and would never see 69kg again.

classic1 said:
Still had a bit of 'filling out' to do. I could do 1200km a week and would never see 69kg again.
Of course you won't - not unless you want to look like a famine victim ...... you've gained a shitload of muscle mass since that time. You could lose some of the "padding" you're carrying ;) and probably make it down to somewhere in the high 70's/low 80's if you really put the effort in and do it in a healthy balanced way.

Maybe that should be your goal for 2009? :p :D

matagi said:
Of course you won't - not unless you want to look like a famine victim ...... you've gained a shitload of muscle mass since that time. You could lose some of the "padding" you're carrying ;) and probably make it down to somewhere in the high 70's/low 80's if you really put the effort in and do it in a healthy balanced way.

Mid-low 70's is the goal for me by october 2009, and i'm 188cm :D

matagi said:

I'll be aiming for 90's this year. Haven't seen that side of the ton for about 5 years i reckon.

Alright Ms Matagi I reckon your Tasmanian Trial has caught the popular vote.
There's a good BandB in Sheffield yeah?

Fark me is that the time?
He whose name is protected by a confidentially agreement may not be impressed with my service this morning. Sleep is probably redundant about now.
It was definitely a very nice White Christmas party, even if I don't celebrate such things, and even if my flirtations came to naught.

Nevertheless I managed to do my research and decide that these are the only pannier racks you will ever need to buy for whatever bike you would like to put them on, and if you ever need different sized seatstay, brake or fork clamps you can buy them locally from Pirtek.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html
I've gone with front and rear Sherpas.
Shame I didn't do it a coupe of months ago.

Just got off the phone from poor Channing and I can say he's a bloody nice and bloody tolerant bloke. Highly recommended.

Oh and check out his Townie.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/BikePages/Pages/FrequentFlyerDetail.html
That's hot. Yours for US9k.

bbp said:
Alright Ms Matagi I reckon your Tasmanian Trial has caught the popular vote.
There's a good BandB in Sheffield yeah?
Yeah, no probs with accommodation in Sheffield - drop me a PM/give me a call/whatever and we'll see what we can arrange. :)

classic1 said:
Cool Hand Luke.
"I can eat 50 eggs."
:D
Strange movie...George Kennedy's character's worship of Luke verges on the ****-erotic and it's full of symbolism (the final scene shows Luke in a crucifixion position). Along with The Hustler, one of Newman's best.
"I think you're a hustler son, I'm gonna break both your thumbs."

stevebaby said:
"I can eat 50 eggs."
:D
Strange movie...George Kennedy's character's worship of Luke verges on the ****-erotic and it's full of symbolism (the final scene shows Luke in a crucifixion position). Along with The Hustler, one of Newman's best.
"I think you're a hustler son, I'm gonna break both your thumbs."
A lot of the movies from that era had ****-erotic subtexts (Ben Hur is notable in that regard) ...... some of the kid's cartoons did as well - just watch a couple of episodes of Roger Ramjet or Fractured Fairytales really closely, paying attention to the dialogue.

matagi said:
A lot of the movies from that era had ****-erotic subtexts (Ben Hur is notable in that regard) ...... some of the kid's cartoons did as well - just watch a couple of episodes of Roger Ramjet or Fractured Fairytales really closely, paying attention to the dialogue.
Not to mention Lord of the Rings.

matagi said:
Do you think that might have been because there were a lot more homosexual writers back then who were "in the closet" and writing homoerotic suggestive stuff was maybe their way of expressing themselves?

Other weird homoerotic symbols in retrospect, that were on TV in the 60's/70's..

Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street
Gilligan and the Skipper
Cisco and Poncho from The Cisco Kid
Batman and Robin

Batman and Robin were full-on high camp - I love watching the old reruns. :D

Bert and Ernie - ya reckon? Can't say I ever watched much Sesame Street so I'll take your word for it.

And if we're going to throw Cisco and Poncho (Pancho?) in there, how about the Lone Ranger and Tonto?

Mauro Gianetti's roster as of Tuesday consists of: Alberto Benítez, Iker Camaño, David Cañada, Eros Capecchi, Ermanno Capelli, Juanjo Cobo, David de la Fuente, Jesús Del Nero, Iván Domínguez, Arkaitz Durán, Alberto Fernández de la Puebla, Ángel Litu Gómez, Héctor González, Beñat Intxausti, Josep Jufré, Javier Megías, Daniele Nardello, Ricardo Serrano, Andrea Tonti, Davide Vigano and William Walker.

Classic what is going on? Why has this happened? Is he desperate? What happened at Rabo? Surely he must know Gianetti is a piece of ****?

When are we going to grow a pair and start giving our young pro's a complete career path from the state institutes right through to a Pro Tour licence tied to the AIS. I mean even Gerran's was almost left scrambling after Credit Agricole.

Maybe Thunder knows something?

Geoff Vadar said:
Mauro Gianetti's roster as of Tuesday consists of: Alberto Benítez, Iker Camaño, David Cañada, Eros Capecchi, Ermanno Capelli, Juanjo Cobo, David de la Fuente, Jesús Del Nero, Iván Domínguez, Arkaitz Durán, Alberto Fernández de la Puebla, Ángel Litu Gómez, Héctor González, Beñat Intxausti, Josep Jufré, Javier Megías, Daniele Nardello, Ricardo Serrano, Andrea Tonti, Davide Vigano and William Walker.

Classic what is going on? Why has this happened? Is he desperate? What happened at Rabo? Surely he must know Gianetti is a piece of ****?
There was a report on Velonews that he is riding for Rock Racing. I dunno what is going on or which report to believe.

When are we going to grow a pair and start giving our young pro's a complete career path from the state institutes right through to a Pro Tour licence tied to the AIS. I mean even Gerran's was almost left scrambling after Credit Agricole.
I dunno

I dunno.

I dunno much at all.

thunder must have got a job or Lance Armstrongs hitmen caught up with him or he's had his interweb break or something.

Crankyfeet said:
Do you think that might have been because there were a lot more homosexual writers back then who were "in the closet" and writing homoerotic suggestive stuff was maybe their way of expressing themselves?

Other weird homoerotic symbols in retrospect, that were on TV in the 60's/70's..

Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street
Gilligan and the Skipper
Cisco and Poncho from The Cisco Kid
Batman and Robin
You seem to know a lot about ghey stuff cranky.

Geoff Vadar said:

Gianetti is a piece of ****, but so are Bruekink and Rabo. They are parochial and just as dirty as Saunier were/are. Foriegn riders dont get much respect there too, even Menchov barely does. For someone who has won the vuelta twice, there is still little regard for him in the lowlands.

Sure Walker is desperate. Hasnt shown anything or got any results so its hardly surprising. Evidently took any spot he could get. Pretty simple really.

I doubt Gerrans was left scrambling too. Not after a stage win this year, and impressive rides in general. Im sure he had quite a few offers.