The Thread about Nothing....

That would have been cool Wilchemy.

I've been to the bottom of the cut when they had a rally in it, deadest awesome. Been around the powerstations, (including control rooms and looking in a boiler, was like the gates of hell), but never been on a dredge.

My pop accidentally drove a truck off the edge of the yallourn cut once. Lucky to be alive.

I used to ride daily to tafe around the cut and through W Station. It was off limits to the public but I was an SEC trainee so they'd wave me through.

Reactions: EoinC2
Alaphilippe Was my pick for Flanders... I thought he'd be looking for redemption after his
Liège-Bastogne-Liège brain fade. Awful way to go out of a race.

No surprise that Van Aert is up there.

The silly **** is all over the shop and needs to watch where he is going and be aware of what is going on around him. Three races in a row he has ****ed up (Liege at 1km to go, then deviating in the sprint and saluting early) nearly ****ed up (Brabantse Pijl) and massively ****ed up (Flanders).

Beautiful call of the sprint by Keenan. Short sprint, didn’t over gear.

That would have been cool Wilchemy.

I've been to the bottom of the cut when they had a rally in it, deadest awesome. Been around the powerstations, (including control rooms and looking in a boiler, was like the gates of hell), but never been on a dredge.

My pop accidentally drove a truck off the edge of the yallourn cut once. Lucky to be alive.

I used to ride daily to tafe around the cut and through W Station. It was off limits to the public but I was an SEC trainee so they'd wave me through.
This is the Grey River dredge on the West Coast of NZ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wto_jcoPLFU

I used to use a 6” dredge down on rivers North of there with a mate. Good fun, but less so in winter.

Beer or blood doping. What’s it to be?

:p

FYI: that’s the mother-in-laws Procrit that I picked up from the pharmacy earlier.
I guess it depends what you want from life.
I've always preferred alcohol over less obvious truths personally.
But I have had a period of poor health for which I was presribed a steroid. Prednisolone.
And by **** it was powerful. My loved ones still bag me about it many years later.
Apparently I was a clockwork ******** once I'd taken the pill. Luckily it was only a couple of weeks.

Reactions: steve
Cunning? More cunning than a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not surprising, unfortunately. With the virus kicking off again in Europe no one in government would have the appetite to allow hundreds of Euro crew to come on down without quarantine - & teams won’t want fly across the world to sit around in hotels until cootie free just to race for few days.

My parents are still going. They went last year and had a **** hot time. Plus all their Paynesville friends have booked into the same caravan park. Then all dads old racing mates booked in near Glenelg, then changed their booking to where mum and dad are staying.

Hopefully the race goes ahead, but I reckon heaps of people who’ve booked will go anyway. The parents didn’t even watch the racing every day.

I just saw a Ferrari 308 GT4. It sounded good. Looks, not so much.

Some observations.
One of the few Ferrari's that don't look good in red.
The only production Ferrari I can think of designed by Bertone.
It was later appended 'Dino'. Apparently Enzo wasn't initially convinced it was worthy of being named after his late son.

So I mentioned a life changing decision which has become imminent.
I've run a survival level sole trader plumbing business in the centre of Sydney for nearly 20 years, I was a musician too initially, and was never a proper capitalist, but time moves on;
I wasn't getting any younger, and I got bored with what I had, and wanted a change. I knew I could retrain in engineering at Uni perhaps for a serious spend at a late age,
or I could just spend a couple of weeks and a couple of grand and just teach what I know, ie Plumbing.
Little did I know what a rabbithole that was, but I remain unmarried, no kids, and it turns out I'm alright at it, teaching, and actually enjoy my role as a facilitator or enabler when the occasional students cares, despite all the NSW govt ********;
but as a casual teacher and a lazy man it only took a year or two off the tools before my 40something year old tradie back failed the moment I tried to earn money on the tools during the last summer holidays.
I'm about to get offered great money to move to Tassie to teach fulltime, and I already think I should go, but I also realise I will miss much about Sydney, my home of 20+years, and even/especially the already forsaken possibilities of my currently dormant business, as opposed to fulltime government employment, in a strange city and state;
but not not much else.
<that's a lie. There are Many people I will miss if I go>

Especially after an afternoon at the pub just now, what was it, Derby Day?, where I just despised the adjacent screaming wenches and profligate arseholes.
I think I should give a very dramatic life change a red hot go, and I'm asking for your outside opinions too.

Last edited:
I think Tassie would be good for you - nothing like a bit of nature to soothe the soul, and there is heaps of that here. On a more practical level, you won't find the same cosmopolitan vibe in Hobart (which is really just a big country town). That said, there is a certain quirkiness to Tassie and Mona has certainly shaken the place up. Also the number of people now moving to Tasmania means there are changes afoot.

As far as TAFE goes, be prepared for lower levels of literacy and numeracy here - 50% of Tasmanians are functionally illiterate - so you will encounter some teaching challenges but they are crying out for good teachers.

Bottom line, take the plunge.

I did miss an important paragraph in that last post, which was
since my back's been ****ed, I realised my eggs were all in one basket, and when Covid hit, I lost my flatmate, but luckily one of my head teachers went on leave, and I stepped up, and without flatmates in a very expensive rental house, I have taught almost full time and have learnt to cope with gov't and local hierarchical ******** I never thought I ever could have before. But all the money I've earnt at Tafe NSW has gone to my landlord. With no job security as a casual, and no flatmates incoming during the upcoming summer holidays.
Needs must. I'm suddenly capable of putting up with **** like never before, and perhaps after 3 years teaching experience can even consider giving up my sole trader freedom to take a full time govt job. One year ago I would have said that was crazy talk. It still ****ing horrifies me. What if I crack like Humpty Dumpty?
But right now it seems sensible.

Last edited: