The Thread about Nothing....

I think Tassie would be good for you - nothing like a bit of nature to soothe the soul, and there is heaps of that here. On a more practical level, you won't find the same cosmopolitan vibe in Hobart (which is really just a big country town). That said, there is a certain quirkiness to Tassie and Mona has certainly shaken the place up. Also the number of people now moving to Tasmania means there are changes afoot.

As far as TAFE goes, be prepared for lower levels of literacy and numeracy here - 50% of Tasmanians are functionally illiterate - so you will encounter some teaching challenges but they are crying out for good teachers.

Bottom line, take the plunge.
Fair call about literacy and numeracy, but I'm truly not expecting it to be any worse that NSW. How the **** did these kids pass primary school, let alone ostensibly year 10 level maths. I groan when I say A=Pi*r^2 and they say what does that little 2 mean. Not to mention young apprentices in Sydney are arseholes. I'd like to think Taswegians plumbing students are possibly better people at least?

The fartographer should move to Tassie too and get into landscape photography in a big way.

You need to list advantages versus disadvantages of a move to Tas and make sure you factor in the cost of moving back to Sydney if it turns out not to be for you.

Ding ding ding.

We have a hit on the Deadpool. Sean James Motherfucking Bond 007 Connery.

Name your favourite Connery Bond movie and non-Bond movie.

Under the tie breaker rule I made up just because I could a while back either Paul or me are winning as our picks both carked it at 90. Will have to work out birthdays. The picking ancient people tactic has worked well this year. 2 picks 90, the other 3 all 100+. At this rate I reckon we are good for another death before the year is out. Kissinger and Murdoch dying would be good. Especially for humanity.

TANDead Pool 2020
Matagi -Kirk Douglas, Phil the Greek
classic1 - Sean Connery, Valerie Giscard d'Estaing, Rupert ****face Murdoch
paul - Henry Kissinger, Willie Nelson, Sterling Moss.
Wilchemy -
Jimmy Carter, Vera Lynn, Clint Eastwood
62vette - Rolf Harris, Pierre Cardin, Betty White
roshea -Olivia de Havilland, Allan Peiper, Leon Spinks
jono - Trump

Well done, classic! And the tie breaker rules are a great touch too haha
Hard to pick a best Connery Bond film for me as I must admit to finding it hard to distinguish between them as I haven’t watched one properly in years. Outside of Bond I would agree with you on The Untouchables.

Happy horse torturing day.

We can run a dead pool for all the horsies racing today, or simply tip which race is the most likely one where the stewards have to bring out the curtains and cap some poor old nag in da ass. Technically though they cap them in the head.

classic1 tips race 4. It’s at 12.40 so should be hot by then, plus the race is 2800m.

The fartographer did in fact get upset a few weeks ago when she realised I might begone. She has however reconciled and is here for a musical evening, which is one the things I will also miss if I go. It won't be the same over Zoom.
Anyways... she started with this one, which I applaud.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHsip5xOenQ

Then I, enjoying the middle aged person nostalgia and calm, chose this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AndEMO__p2U

She's ****ing good. I'd like to know her. I wonder if that is less likely in Tassie than Sydney? Maybe the Mona effect (and I do know the music engineer who moved from Sydney to Tassie to run their festivals and ****) could mean Tassie makes that more likely? Hmm.
Then Youtube chose Yusuf. Let's see if I can get it to start in the right place.
View: https://youtu.be/FoPoI1IwcTw?t=251

Nup. 4:11 was what I tried for.

Last edited:
And now we've had a few wines we're gonna move a decade or two forward.
View: https://youtu.be/QLcKmOwRk_c

Mmm. That Tafe rubbish pile Nad amplifier does that song justice. This song is from one of those albums you'd accept being alone with on a deserted island, said the fartographer. I can't disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve
Fartographer just made an eloquent defense of Harper Lee above Truman Capote. Once again I cannot disagree.
Apparently there was a character in one of her novels called Boo Radley.
Hence
View: https://youtu.be/YJXPTnPmm78

It's not the best song, but we've moved on to Brit Bangers.
It's a place holder from a band who were erudite when they chose their name.
Huh.