Wearing the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist band?

duluth_rider said:
I don't base people's intellect on how much money they have.

No. Just on whether or not they have a small plastic band on their wrist.

jhuskey said:
You are the one that brought up money and appearances. I was only giving you an avenue to respond. There again for all you know my homes may be solar powered.You are again making generalizations without facts. I didn't say money made me happy but with it we are able to assist more people who need help and that is what the wristbands are all about. Why don't you attack the sorry SOB"s that are filfthy rich and never help anyone.They never make the news fo not donating.
You were bragging about your money to show how smart you are. Less than .03% of homes are solar powered so it is a pretty safe assumption that yours are not.

Also, most people who have solar powered houses are environmentally aware and would see the gross excess of one family having two houses.

Enjoy them.

"They saves all the trees and put them in a tree museum. Then they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them"

Maybe if LA promoted the environment with a green bracelet you would get it. Sadly, you probably still wouldn't.

meehs said:
No. Just on whether or not they have a small plastic band on their wrist.
Exactly. Putting a piece of cheap plastic or rubber on your wrist is a matter of intellect.

Money can be inherited.

Glad you see it my way.

duluth_rider said:
Sorry if you didn't like the term "Lemmings". But anyone can donate $1 to cancer research anytime they want. It shouldn't take a fashion statement or people wanting to look "cool" to do it.

So only people that donate LOTS AND LOTS OF money are the ones that matter? It all adds up. What is wrong with donating a dollar any time they want? If they look 'cool' so be it, they are helping raise awareness and maybe saving someone's life.

You should go to a hospital and go tell some child that people only donating a dollar to help save them is useless. I really hope that child is wearing a LA braclet cause then you will be an ass hole. For all you know that braclet could be what is keeping that kid going...

If you refute that last sentence, may God have mercy on your soul...

duluth_rider said:
I think you are being sarcastic. Do you have a Niketown store near you? Go and look at all the livestrong gear they have.

I cannot find one thing on the web about Nike donating the proceeds of anything but the bracelets.

Sorry if you didn't like the term "Lemmings". But anyone can donate $1 to cancer research anytime they want. It shouldn't take a fashion statement or people wanting to look "cool" to do it.

Maybe you should think about your own motivations before attacking mine.

Yes I was being sarcastic, and okay, maybe you're right that I should consider my motivations before attacking. But don't you think it might have been a little excessive to call everyone wearing a LIVESTRONG wristband a simpleton though? C'mon, give me a break!

I still contend that the motivation for the wristband campaign was to raise money for cancer research and not for Nike or the LAF to make more profits. Just my opinion.

If I have a Niketown store near me I don't know where it is and I've never been there. If you're telling me that the store in Duluth has LIVESTRONG stuff for sale, I have no reason not to beleive you. If Nike is profitting from the stuff, then yes I agree that that's pretty lame.

duluth_rider said:
Exactly. Putting a piece of cheap plastic or rubber on your wrist is a matter of intellect.

Money can be inherited.

Glad you see it my way.

Trust me I don't equate money with intellect. Never said I did. And I'm also not ignorant enough to think that if someone puts a plastic band on their wrist that they must be an idiot either. That's all you baby!

meehs said:
Yes I was being sarcastic, and okay, maybe you're right that I should consider my motivations before attacking. But don't you think it might have been a little excessive to call everyone wearing a LIVESTRONG wristband a simpleton though? C'mon, give me a break!

I still contend that the motivation for the wristband campaign was to raise money for cancer research and not for Nike or the LAF to make more profits. Just my opinion.

If I have a Niketown store near me I don't know where it is and I've never been there. If you're telling me that the store in Duluth has LIVESTRONG stuff for sale, I have no reason not to beleive you. If Nike is profitting from the stuff, then yes I agree that that's pretty lame.
I agree. Not everyone who wears on is a simpleton. Can we agree on a percentage? Maybe 30-40% of the people wearing them are simpletons. I could live with that. Let me know.

meehs said:
Trust me I don't equate money with intellect. Never said I did. And I'm also not ignorant enough to think that if someone puts a plastic band on their wrist that they must be an idiot either. That's all you baby!
I cannot believe I just got called a baby by a pit bull. Oh well, that is better than having those powerful jaws clamped down on my my forearm or calf.

duluth_rider said:
I agree. Not everyone who wears on is a simpleton. Can we agree on a percentage? Maybe 30-40% of the people wearing them are simpletons. I could live with that. Let me know.

Well, I'd say that the 30%-40% figure is probably true of the population in general! So yeah, okay! :D One of my own favorite sayings (and I'm sure some of the non-American folks here will be delighted with this one):

"The average American's intelligence is below average"

I think that this entire post is now completely ridiculous. You are obviously very passionate about this entire live strong campaign and think that it is a whole conspiracy designed to make money. You might be right or you might be wrong, but who cares. I think its great people want to show support for people dealing with cancer, even if its the smallest contribution.

But there is no reason to put down other people for what they are doing/saying/feeling. It is obviously something very important to them, even if it only is a piece of yellow plastic and it has some significance behind it. Maybe you have never had to deal with something as powerful as cancer, but there is obviously a reason that each one of us puts that wrist band on. I think its very childish for you to go and insult people for doing something meaningful.

duluth_rider said:

Dul, I'll agree with that, b/c a lot of my friends who are wearing them are wearing them for style. It frustrates me some, but I can deal. I take it upon myself to just give them a heads up, just in case someone asks them what it means...
I wouldn't say they are 'simpletons', just wearing the braclet for the wrong reason...

But I still support it 110% and am glad of the awareness

duluth_rider said:
I cannot believe I just got called a baby by a pit bull. Oh well, that is better than having those powerful jaws clamped down on my my forearm or calf.

Hey c'mon, I didn't mean that in a derogatory way! And that's Max by the way, my Staffordshire Bull Terrier (not a pit bull exactly but a close cousin). He's a nice guy though. Wouldn't hurt a fly.

Beastt said:
It seems the popularity of the LiveSTRONG yellow wrist bands has exceeded everyone's expectations. So we might as well see who here has them, who wants them and perhaps even who thinks they're silly.

I ordered 20 but they were back ordered. When I get them, I will pass them on to my family and friends. I think it is a great cause plus a little bit of Lance's Fashion won't hurt me :)

duluth_rider said:
If people cannot lives trong without a little piece of plastic, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick of Nike and Lance Armstrong Enterprises, than they should take a good hard look at themselves.

I think it is extremely silly and if LA himself passed me on a climb and handed me one I would do my best to catch him and tell him that. Or maybe he would wait at the top to hear my opinion.

Your $1 does not do anything to help cure cancer. This is nothing more than a ploy by Nike and LA to sell more gear. Get a bunch of non-thinking knuckle heads hooked on livestrong by giving them a cheap plastic bracelet for $1 and then get them to buy their expensive livestrong gear. Want a $20 T-shirt with that pair of live strong shoes?

The T-shirts and shorts are already out. Buy em now, Lemmings. Of course, none of that "REAL" money goes to cancer research. Just that little $1 bill from that piece of plastic.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and that's what I'm asking for here so I thank you for that.

But I must admit to a bit of confusion because first you say, "Your $1 does not do anything to help cure cancer. This is nothing more than a ploy by Nike and LA to sell more gear." Then you finish up with, "Of course, none of that 'REAL' money goes to cancer research. Just that little $1 bill from that piece of plastic." Nike has pledged to raise 5-million dollars for cancer research through the sale of the wrist bands so it would seem that a sizeable chunk of money will be dedicated to fighting cancer. Certainly Nike will come out ahead as well

meehs said:
Hey c'mon, I didn't mean that in a derogatory way! And that's Max by the way, my Staffordshire Bull Terrier (not a pit bull exactly but a close cousin). He's a nice guy though. Wouldn't hurt a fly.
I am sure he is nice, but I will have my livestrong bracelet on just in case. It helps me pedal faster to get away from seemingly nice dogs with jaws that could crush a small car.

It also helps me pee without getting any splatter on the toilet seat. My wife hates that.

Last night I broke the 4 minute mile barrier at the HS track. My best time before putting on the bracelet was 5:15.

It truly is am amazing piece of plastic.

jbpegasus said:
I think that this entire post is now completely ridiculous. You are obviously very passionate about this entire live strong campaign and think that it is a whole conspiracy designed to make money. You might be right or you might be wrong, but who cares. I think its great people want to show support for people dealing with cancer, even if its the smallest contribution.

But there is no reason to put down other people for what they are doing/saying/feeling. It is obviously something very important to them, even if it only is a piece of yellow plastic and it has some significance behind it. Maybe you have never had to deal with something as powerful as cancer, but there is obviously a reason that each one of us puts that wrist band on. I think its very childish for you to go and insult people for doing something meaningful.
Maybe I have had to deal with plenty and dealt with it without some phony symbol that does not mean anything. Use the bracelet for whatever you want. Put it in a bowl and smoke it if you want.

Like you said, it is just a piece of plastic. In reality it means nothing.

duluth_rider said:

Money can be inherited.

Glad you see it my way.

You actually make some fairly sound points, duluth_rider. I love your dedication to the environment as I feel much the same way. I'm not going to bag on JHuskey here, but you're correct. People in America are so driven to succeed that I think we often forget that resources are limited. If I have more than I need, then someone somewhere in the world probably has less than they need. Since you're so in tuned to the environment, I'm sure I'll see your posts on some of the diet related threads and I look foreward to reading them.

As to your ability to rate my intelligence based on whether or not I have a LiveSTRONG wrist band on my arm, I think you've weeded out a few important variables. I think I know where you're coming from. It's not completely unlike the way I feel when I see people driving around with little American flags clipped onto their cars to show support for America. Support for America isn't a bad thing but I personally feel they'd do better to remember that those flags are supposed to be representative of things that America seems to have lost touch with. I'd rather see them reading the Constitution or posting a copy of it for others to read.

I have no doubt that Nike will profit from the sale of these wrist bands or from any of the other items they're marketing. And there is no question that they are using their association with Lance Armstrong to increase their profits. But I find that I do have choices. I could buy Adidas clothing and no wrist band and none of my dollars go to cancer or I can jump on the band wagon and feel that I've done a little something to perhaps reduce the suffering of one or two people. The whole cancer thing is a bonus for me. I'm an Armstrong fan and a fan of cycling in general. As such the band is more than a statement about the desire to donate to cancer research, it's also a statement about cycling and about Lance Armstrong.

I think you're dead on the money about how many silly little campaigns get started and millions of people latch onto them without having the slightest clue about the true motives behind many of them. But I will have to disagree with you concerning your contention that anyone wearing one of these bands is intellectually inferior to yourself. There are a number of factors involved in accurately assessing intelligence and a number of factors will determine whether or not each person will choose to buy or wear a wrist band.

As a final comment; thank you for your original post. You've stirred a bit of controversy in the thread and I think that's good for the thread as well as the people who visit here. It gets people thinking and involved. I can't agree with your overall conclusion but you shouldn't take the full load of everyone's objections by yourself. You do have a sound basis for your objections but not every program that attracts a lot of attention is necessarily a bad thing even when it helps large corporations to increase their profits.