Did You Ride Today?

I saved the video of the last ride I took to see my mom. Not the last time I saw her but the last bike ride I took to the assisted living facility. I haven't watched it but I have it if I have the want to see it.

A sad ride. I went home. Did my shortest little loop that I did as a kid. Surprised it was 30 miles. Dad is dying. I guess I used to ride some hellacious distances....no cycle computers back then. I had planned on the medium loop up into NH and down into Ipswich and back. I'm slower. The distances are further than I remember. Bitter sweet to be home. The bike helped

Weatherby you, your dad, and entire family are in my prayers, and yes the bike does help.

Consecutive day 65 in the Paradise that is Ohio in the Summertime!

I did a little 19-mile loop around the farm fields and rolling hills of my neighborhood. It rained last night. We only got about 1/2", but only a mile or two away 2" to 3" fell. Washouts everywhere and dirt and gravel was washed onto the roads in a lot of spots.

It was sunny, 84 degrees and the wind was light at a steady 7 MPH. Perfect! Let's ride!

Around 600' of climbing and I just let the pedals turn however my legs felt at the moment. It was a wonderful ride, even as short as it was!

Consecutive day of riding number 66:

31 Miles under a cloudless blue sky. It was 85 degrees today and the humidity was creeping up a little. The wind was a light 5 MPH breeze. Perfect! Let's ride!

1300' of climbing on a mostly rolling course and I tried hard to keep the tempo up, the RPM's up and gear selector up. I ran into a freshly chip & sealed road and had to do a U-turn and head for real asphalt.

It's the season to release road repair budgets and the counties and townships are ruining one good riding road after another with fresh coats of cheese grater chip & seal. It generally takes a month of vehicle traffic to run the new coating in before I can get on them with 23 MM bike tires again.

Today was a great workout. I made Watts and I sweat buckets!

Last edited:
Consecutive day of riding number 67:

35 miles and 1900' of climbing.in a warm 81 degree overcast day. The humidity was through the roof. I ran over a mile of wet road where the rain had just moved through and I had missed that cloud burst. Three miles from the truck I felt just a little bit of drizzle.

Again, it was so humid it was difficult to tell the sweat from the tiny drops of rain.

The wind was almost calm for most of the ride and may have risen to 5 to 7 MPH at the end. 1400' of that climbing came in the first 13 miles so the start of the ride was definitely going up and down a lot. I hit 47 MPH in a crouch somewhere on the course and climbed a few at 12% and one that registered 14%.

18.2 miles/18.3 mph/900 ft. My riding window is getting smaller. No more after work rides, too much glare and I am not a fan of riding in the dark. 6 am rides are the only rides i'll be getting in during the week.

The weather is looking good for the weekend with lower humidity and a bit cooler. I had to change out a tire on Tuesday due to separation which was causing tire to bump along. At first I thought it was road vibration.

Consecutive riding day number 68:

My legs aren't at max. power with all the long work days, farm chores and riding, but I covered 21 miles pretty darn quickly this afternoon. Just 700' of climbing and all of that was at a good tempo.

It was mostly sunny and the wind was a little tough at 10 to 13 MPH, but the effort was just about perfect for an old geezer not even on EPO or T or Hgh. Only 75 degrees for a high today and that seemed downright chilly.

We did get a little rain yesterday in the evening. Enough to keep the dust down...maybe .2" or so.

Hey guys, they referenced this site on GCN today. 45 seconds in
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YESSSS! I'm finally FAMOUS! My nick appears onscreen in the "Did You Ride Today" thread!

I expect Si will be deliverying my Ferrari later today.

Reactions: zipp2001
Finally able to get on the bike today and roll out 50 miles at an average of 17.2 mph. I took a four day holiday weekend and if I'm not on my bike then I'm off my feet to limit the Sciatic pain. Was able to get to my doctor Thursday and get the spine and hips adjusted, and a shot to help reduce the inflamed Sciatica.

I hope everyone gets to enjoy the holiday weekend, and ride baby ride.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Consecutive riding day number 69:

Just a little 18 mile ride with 850' of climbing. It was a cool 75 degrees this afternoon and the sky was clear. The wind was going 10-12 MPH.

I was in no big hurry to go anywhere and took some roads I had not been on in months and months. The 'big' hill was 8%-9% and only 225', but it still hurt. A fun ride!

30 mile with about 1400 feet of climb but the weather is orgasmic. Low temps and humidity. Legs are tired after balancing on the boat all afternoon and holding my beer at the same time. Don't try this at home.

Reactions: zipp2001
Consecutive riding day number 70:

63 miles with 3200' of climbing. That was a good workout! I kicked it pretty hard and was using lower gears and faster RPM's up the hills and I also carried a lower gear into the wind for the first 23 miles.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the wind was a low 3 to 8 MPH. Headwind going out and a cross-tail wind working the leg to the turn for home. Then, more cross-tail to carry me back to the start. I downed one gel and most of two bottles of water. No stops...just pounded them from start to finish.

I'm still not on max. power, but I felt pretty good about this ride.

Some old dude in a Miata, wearing a sports car cap, gave me a 'thumbs up' and shouted something about how fast I was working up a long grade. He was sitting at a cross street and just waited at his stop sign at the top of that long, gradual pull until I finally climbed up to him. I sure didn't feel very fast, but my legs were probably turning over at a decent clip. Like I said, I kept the gearing light and the leg speed up there.

I also saw a nice black / white Cobra replica about 10 miles from home. I returned the 'thumbs up' I had been given and passed it on to the guys out cruising in the Faux Shelby.

Traffic was light for the first real day of the holiday weekend and the roads were packed with motorcyclists more than anything. My neighbor just made his third pass over the farm in his helicopter...I gots to change my career field soon!

Reactions: rm57 and Uawadall
Decided to ride to a small family cookout for 42 miles. The temp was 76 degrees with a light wind and a nice rolling course. With all the fun pain issues latterly I've been doing a lot more spinning up the hills. Didn't push the pace to hard just a nice Saturday out on the bike.

Reactions: Uawadall
A very rusty group ride. All this solo stuff has made me strong, but my pace lining has declined...even rose than before..For much of it, I drifted away from the pack, maybe 10 feet or so and when the gap got too big, id sprint hard to catch up. Not efficient and yeah, I need to ride with people more and finally get this pace line stuff down, but.... It is fun to chase! Finished with the group 39.2/17.6 mph/1700 ft...Could have gone faster solo, but experience and skill isn't free. Have to keep working these weaknesses

20 steady miles today. Nice weather, the air smells fresh. I stopped to let a guy load his 2 dobermans into his truck. I have passed these dogs before but they are generally behind a chainlink fence. I have no desire to try and outrun these guys.

47.8/17.4 mph/1650 ft.

Did a lot of sprinting yesterday and was sore from yesterday. Thought the start time was 8:30, but the time was 8:00....Didn't leave out with the faster group, but was able to catch up to the B group. My legs were toast 35 miles or so in, I slowed down some and finished up. Chasing is fun, but I pushed my riding for the week too close together. 1 18 miler on Wednesday morning,then a 39 and a 48 on the weekend..Have to get at least 2 rides in during the week and get more use to consecutive days.

Consecutive riding day number 71:

51 miles with 2150' of climbing. IT was another bright, sunny day with the temperature right around 85 degrees. The wind was again calm at 3 to 6 MPH.

Road traffic was again light for a holiday weekend. I bolted on a new Michelin Pro4 Comp Service Course on the front before loading the bike in the truck. The old one was thoroughly worn, with a nail hole from a previous puncture and a cut sidewall from a sharp stone. The rubber was cracking, the sidewall threads were getting exposed, the tread was very thin and the center had a wide flat band worn around it.

It was a fun ride! The legs were dead from yesterday and I kept the throttle under control for most of the ride.