Dogs

They are the bane of my life.

Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to bit
the handlebars.

Should dogs be always leeshed up in public parks?

Thank you.

[email protected] writes:

> They are the bane of my life.
>
> Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
> Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to
> bit the handlebars.
>
> Should dogs be always leeshed up in public parks?

Don't they have to be? Those damn extending leads should be banned
too. I was walking back to where I'd locked up my bike outside the
shops at lunchtime and some yappy on the end of one of those started
running around me. God damn rat dogs!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
?
Those damn extending leads should be banned
> too.

Tell me about it!

Just getting up speed down a gravel track and fortunately at the last moment
see dog on one side in bushes, owner on other side in bushes and in between
a extending lead!

I now know
A) My brakes work
B) My emergency stop technique works!

pk

Chris Eilbeck said the following on 24/08/2006 22:48:

> Don't they have to be? Those damn extending leads should be banned
> too. I was walking back to where I'd locked up my bike outside the
> shops at lunchtime and some yappy on the end of one of those started
> running around me. God damn rat dogs!

AKA drop-kick dogs (apologies to any rat-dog owners!) I certainly think
those extending leads should be made illegal to use on segregated or
shared use cyclepaths at the very least. They are very dangerous,
especially at night when you can't always see them. I've run into them
a couple of times, but no damage done yet (to dog or me - sod the
owner!) The HC does actually say that dogs should be kept on a short
lead on cyclepaths, but like many things in the HC (stopping at red
lights for instance - cars that is) it is ignored.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> They are the bane of my life.
>
> Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
> Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to bit
> the handlebars.
>
> Should dogs be always leeshed up in public parks?

In public parks in general, I don't see why. In children's play parks,
and close to public rights of way, definitely.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

[email protected] wrote:
> They are the bane of my life.
>
> Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
> Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to bit
> the handlebars.

Some cyclists are also dog owners. Some cyclists are also extremely
inconsiderate. I very much doubt whether every dog in your area behaves
as you describe. Glasgow is no more or less prone to inconsiderate
behaviour than anywhere else.

--
Brian G

Brian G wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > They are the bane of my life.
> >
> > Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
> > Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to bit
> > the handlebars.

> Some cyclists are also dog owners. Some cyclists are also extremely
> inconsiderate. I very much doubt whether every dog in your area behaves
> as you describe. Glasgow is no more or less prone to inconsiderate
> behaviour than anywhere else.
>
> --
> Brian G

Maybe dogs (and their owners) should be required to wear licence plates
so you could see what belongs to whom ;)

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:44:11 +0100, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Chris Eilbeck said the following on 24/08/2006 22:48:
>
> > Don't they have to be? Those damn extending leads should be banned
> > too. I was walking back to where I'd locked up my bike outside the
> > shops at lunchtime and some yappy on the end of one of those started
> > running around me. God damn rat dogs!

> AKA drop-kick dogs (apologies to any rat-dog owners!) I certainly think
> those extending leads should be made illegal to use on segregated or
> shared use cyclepaths at the very least.

They are. Read your highway code.

(OK, technically they aren't necesarily illegal purely because teh
highway code says you should not use them, but you should ceryainly be
able to prosecute a person using such a lead, offering as evidence of
their negligence the fact that they are not complyiong with teh
highway code.)

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith said the following on 25/08/2006 13:21:

> They are. Read your highway code.

I did before I posted that message...

> (OK, technically they aren't necesarily illegal...

QED. Unless the section in the HC has the words MUST or MUST NOT, it
isn't actually illegal. It can only be deemed to be a contributory
factor in any accident, as you rightly say, but you can't be prosecuted
for it.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ian Smith said the following on 25/08/2006 13:21:
>
>> They are. Read your highway code.

> I did before I posted that message...
>
>> (OK, technically they aren't necesarily illegal...

> QED. Unless the section in the HC has the words MUST or MUST NOT, it
> isn't actually illegal. It can only be deemed to be a contributory factor
> in any accident, as you rightly say, but you can't be prosecuted for it.

I was just hunting that down, and then continued reading the thread .. so
I'll at least post it ...

42: Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short
lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists.

[email protected] wrote:
> They are the bane of my life.
>
> Inconsiderate dog owners, who don't fit dogs on a leesh annoy me.
> Everytime a dog sees a cyclist around here it jumps up and tries to bit
> the handlebars.
>
> Should dogs be always leeshed up in public parks?

My low opinion of dog owners is always renewed whenever I see an owner
scanning the horizon to see if anyone spotted Rover having a poo.
Only then do they bend down with the freezer bag and scoop up the
Cumberland sausage.

--
Rick

On 25/08/2006 15:31, elyob said,

> I was just hunting that down, and then continued reading the thread .. so
> I'll at least post it ...
>
> 42: Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short
> lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists.

Yes - that's what I looked up before I started this whole thing - I just
couldn't be arsed to cut'n'paste it! Hence my assertion that it should
be illegal not to have them on a short lead, not just advisory :)

This is all starting to sound like I don't like dogs - I do! I just
like them to be under proper control in places where they should be
under proper control!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 25/08/2006 15:55, rick H said,

> Only then do they bend down with the freezer bag and scoop up the
> Cumberland sausage.

I have to admit that apart from practical reasons, that is another
reason for me not owning a dog. Makes me feel quite squeamish when I
see people doing that (but also glad that they do!) I have a cat who
graciously allows me to share his home, but he sorts himself out in a
nice tidy litter tray :)

It also bewilders me when a very few dog owners carefully scoop it all
up in a plastic bag, knot the bag, then chuck it a hedge! Why????

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/