Dogs.

Hake <[email protected]> wrote:

> > um voice, and attaully stop. sound angry not afraid. direct stare. you
> > are the alpha. the shouting while still riding particuly as it can tell
> > your afraid will be triggering the chase responce.
> >
> > i know it can take some doing, but if you can do it, it works.
> >
> > roger
> > --
> > www.rogermerriman.com

> I agree, but I was afraid !- had I had a club strapped to my frame (instead
> of a flimsy alumnium pump). I would have been better off, then I could have
> discused with the dog which one of us would be alpha :).

heh!

> More seroiusly though, with no other help around, I was reluctant to chance
> whether or not it would get bored if we stopped

yes it does take some doing!

i got used to it being a postie for so long. it ment that all the "hell
hounds" that bit others might require a look but no getting bitten.

roger

--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G
[email protected] says...

> When I was recently attacked by an alsatian dog I planned in my mind to
> follow this advice to stop, dismount and place bike between me and dog.
> I then discovered that a) alsatian dogs are very fast and b) I am not
> quick at dismounting and putting bike, etc, etc.

Quick dismounts are quite easy - either swing a leg over before you
stop, or jam the brakes on and vault off the pedals as you stop. I
think this is a case where flat pedals have a distinct advantage over
SPDs.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Brian G
> [email protected] says...
>
>> When I was recently attacked by an alsatian dog I planned in my mind to
>> follow this advice to stop, dismount and place bike between me and dog.
>> I then discovered that a) alsatian dogs are very fast and b) I am not
>> quick at dismounting and putting bike, etc, etc.
>>

> Quick dismounts are quite easy - either swing a leg over before you
> stop, or jam the brakes on and vault off the pedals as you stop.

I think you may be younger than I am ;-)

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Brian G
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:

> > Quick dismounts are quite easy - either swing a leg over before you
> > stop, or jam the brakes on and vault off the pedals as you stop.

> I think you may be younger than I am ;-)

Perhaps, but I've got knackered hips and knees and a bad back.
According to the numbers I'm middle aged and obese, but age is just a
number and I've never had much confidence in that BMI nonsense anyway.
I think the techniques I described are more a matter of confidence and
practice than anything else, because I can do them. :)

On Aug 19, 2:01 pm, "Hake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the second time on the tandem this month, we have been chased by a
> terrifyingly large dog (this one escaped the grasp of a 5 yr old). This one
> bit on to our pannniers, circled in front of our front wheel and chased us
> from 5mph up to 20mph along narrow road. Not only did it look hungrily at my
> partners knee, it also looked at my calf, for which it recieved a shove from
> my foot. ( dont worry dog lovers, I don't think it noticed :-(
>
> Our only defence was to yell at the thing and try to run away - which
> worked on this occasion, but if it had mistaken my leg for the pannier, I
> might not have been writing this now! Does anyone have any experiance with
> dog deflecting gizmos that I have seen advertised in the CTC? or any other
> ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

I've found a good fist sized rock to be very handy against dogs or
failing that a kick to the head. I used to carry a full frame pump on
my road bike which came in handy a few times in beating off chasing
dogs.

> I've found a good fist sized rock to be very handy against dogs or
> failing that a kick to the head. I used to carry a full frame pump on
> my road bike which came in handy a few times in beating off chasing
> dogs.

That damn "Clancy Dog" from the farm up Hewden Bank (Strines Moor Road) has
a particular taste for cyclists from Horbury, Wakefield.

At least two of us have had our shoes bitten, my mate being the chosen one
from 400 odd riders on "Phil / friends" ride last year.

When I got done the dog heard my pump whistling several times and let go -
just for a moment before engaing its doggy railings on back of my shoe
again.

Hewden bank is difficult without a mutt hanging oiff your ankle.

John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

> I've found a good fist sized rock to be very handy against dogs or
> failing that a kick to the head. I used to carry a full frame pump on
> my road bike which came in handy a few times in beating off chasing
> dogs.

I Like your style :)!

Colin