Nokian Tires

Dan Volker wrote:
> Maybe I'm getting old from all this argueing, but I don't remember
> ever claiming that the riders out West, or the NG members
> specifically had poor skills or fitness---I'd normally be inclined to
> expect their fitness to be higher, and their skills somewhat better
> than riders in less vertically challenged areas ;-)
> As I recall, I got my head handed to me by many of the NG regulars,
> who were shocked that I could suggest that a Florida trail could be
> technical, or that a Florida rider could have technical skills or
> fitness. The distinction could be a little blurred from all the SS
> **** buried within the same discussions, but since you were there
> from the start, you tell me---Wasn't it a case of me "defending" my
> riding places and skills after getting slammed ? That would mean the
> MTB skill/fitness standard originated with you guys, and not with me.

Jeez, I already hate my own guts for even entering this debacle, but here
goes.

The way I remember things is you appeared in AM-B asking questions about
your girlfriend's riding -- namely, she took a while to warm up to technical
sections, and so fell behind early in rides (or something like that). You
also made it clear that both you and she were quite accomplished roadies,
but *fairly* new to mountain biking.

A number of people (me included) suggested letting her find her own
way/comfort level, as it seemed (to us at least) that you were trying to
manage her experience for her.

Then in other threads you offered advice based on heart-rate zones and
fitness levels, and got somewhat blasted for it (as in, who the hell is this
guy and who appointed him expert status?!?). Now granted, when JD gets a
bug up his...ear...for someone, he can be relentless; and yes, he (and
others) baited you a bit. (Google Barry Sanders for your most recent
predecessor in this vein.) But you came off as some techno-trained
know-it-all, and this rubbed many people the wrong way.

(Notice that the subject of SS-ing hasn't even appeared yet. Nor Florida,
for that matter.)

Then IIRC you posted a question about chain slap issues, and our resident
nut Bill Wheeler said get a SS. Instead of just ignoring that, you got all
defensive/offensive and it was on. (IOW, you were trolled and are still
digesting the hook.)

In *this* thread you posted a perfectly legitimate opinion of tires, and JD
took the opportunity to flame you. Again, instead of simply IGNORING it,
you got your back up and some rather entertaining hilarity ensued.

My guess is that you're probably a very fit bike rider who has control
issues/tendencies. (Many "serious" riders -- both roadie AND mountain --
are like that.) The irony in all this pissing contest stuff is that JD
isn't a racer at all; he rides for enjoyment, period. (Which isn't to say
he's not fast, because he is; he also can clear some sick **** that I
wouldn't try for a million bucks.)

What happened to you happens in newsgroups and other venues all the time:
some new person shows up and starts dispensing "wisdom", and regular members
question/resent it. Period. Sometimes they get a little humility and
eventually fit in; sometimes they just keep getting "outcaster and
outcaster".

My advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it): go ride your bikes;
have fun; enjoy your local trails; ride with your gf as often as possible;
have fun; try new places as opportunities allow; have fun; work on skills
and techniques and buy lots of stuff (techno AND just plain useful), and --
most of all -- HAVE FUN.

(Oh, and if you keep reading/posting to AM-B, resist the urge to reply to
every troll attempt and/or flame bait. How do you feel about changing your
name and starting over?!? :)

Bill "already noticed 'less' silly quotation marks!" S.

(Should I take a shower after this???)

JD wrote:

> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday to
>>>ride Razorback.

>>Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
>>
>>I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
>>difficult?

> You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing
> so much about. I'm sure he'll never see what the riding near Lake
> City is like because he will not show in July. He can keep tap
> dancing, chest thumping and crowing though becaue it's hilarious.
>
> JD

AM-B Colorado in Lake City? What a beautiful area, though I've never
ridden there. Probably most of the Texas contingent will already be
present :)

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:52:09 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

> The distinction could be a little blurred from all the SS **** buried
> within the same discussions,

Heh, yeah - "a little" is a huge understatement. If you didn't trumpet
your assumptions like they're the rules of the universe, you'd look a lot
less naive. You seem to believe that nothing can be true if you haven't
seen it in Florida, when we're talking about things that aren't
necessarily true in ANY given state!

> but since you were there from the start, you tell
> me---Wasn't it a case of me "defending" my riding places and skills after
> getting slammed ?

Why do you feel the need to defend your riding places? Who really gives a
****? There are technical trails all over the place, its not like you have
something unique there - and of course, the climbs and overall length of
trails are apparently far greater elsewhere. If you're having fun on them,
that's all that really matters. There are several other Florida riders and
nobody gives them ****, but they don't try to pass off a 5-mile trail as
something that everyone (including people with 40 miles of trail out their
back door) should be impressed with.

Anyway, half the time you're getting "slammed", its because you respond to
posts as if you'd never read them, or read something completely different
than the post to which you're responding. This alone has made you a great
source of entertainment.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
> > Maybe I'm getting old from all this argueing, but I don't remember
> > >

> Jeez, I already hate my own guts for even entering this debacle, but here
> goes.

<snip history of newsgroup>

> Bill "already noticed 'less' silly quotation marks!" S.
>
> (Should I take a shower after this???)

Wow! You're like rainman!

> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday

> > > ride Razorback.

> > Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
> >
> > I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
> > difficult?

> You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing

I may actually get the opportunity to do so in the summer...

I, without a doubt, wouldn't be able to keep up with an AMB group, that's
for sure ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> Back to the coolest trail I have ridden so far in Florida,
Razorback....Have
> you ridden it, and are you planning to ride there any time soon ?

Since I don't have a car, I'm at the mercy of other riders with cars. Not
sure when my first time will be, but we'll see. My friends usually like the
big drops and jumps of Santos, so that's where I invariably end up going.

As for the SS at Razorback, some of my Team Florida (University of Florida
cycling club) teammates have done the 12-hour race there on an SS. Two of
them were riding their SSs. Except one got too drunk to ride and the other
rode for him. I believe the bikes were rigid Kona and Bianchi single
speeds. As for how clean they rode it, I'm not sure, but they are
definitely not slow riders.

As for single-speeds, I'm not so hot about them either, but hey, it doesn't
matter, does it? Geared bikes or single-speeds, old or young, $3k bikes or
$300 bikes, everyone here is about mountain biking, regardless of skill
level. There's no need to beat one's chest about how fast one may be or how
technical their favorite trail may be.

I think the newsgroup isn't naturally confrontational... it helps to get the
feel of the newsgroup and not to let your pride get the best of you. I used
to think, "Wow... AMB is full of assholes." And now... wait, that thought
hasn't changed one bit ;)

There's a picture I'd like to refer everyone here to:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/arguingontheinternet.jpg
(apologies to mentally retarded people everywhere)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

TM wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Jeez, I already hate my own guts for even entering this debacle, but
>> here goes.
>>

> <snip history of newsgroup>

> Wow! You're like rainman!

I miss Judge Wapner.

Bill "not to mention Doug Llewelyn (sp?!?)" S.

ZeeExSixAre wrote:

> There's a picture I'd like to refer everyone here to:
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/arguingontheinternet.jpg
> (apologies to mentally retarded people everywhere)

And well you should apologize, those folks deserve to be compared to
better than us internet scum.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Tom says:

>C'mon ....... some of you *had* to see that one coming!

Heh heh... Yup!

But your mother-in-law wouldn't approve. ;-)

Steve

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's a picture I'd like to refer everyone here to:
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/arguingontheinternet.jpg
> (apologies to mentally retarded people everywhere)

You are a completely classless tool.

tcmedara wrote:
> Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Phil says:
>>
>>> There's a picture I'd like to refer everyone here to:
>>> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/****/arguingontheinternet.jpg
>>> (apologies to mentally retarded people everywhere)

>> Funny, that. I usually link to this one:
>>
>> http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.php/463c5922/arguing.jpg
>>
>> Same difference, really......

> This one really says it all: http://tinyurl.com/8rfz
>
> C'mon ....... some of you *had* to see that one coming!

Owwwhhhhhhhhhhh.

Bill "watch your back, Medara" S.

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom says:
>
>> C'mon ....... some of you *had* to see that one coming!

> Heh heh... Yup!
>
> But your mother-in-law wouldn't approve. ;-)
>
> Steve

She would be quite shocked, no doubt. Her daughter doesn't particularly
approve either. She's got good sense. That's why I married her. I get to
be the irresponsible one (and the fun parent).

Tom

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> [...]

> What happened to you happens in newsgroups and other venues all the
> time: some new person shows up and starts dispensing "wisdom", and
> regular members question/resent it. Period. Sometimes they get a
> little humility and eventually fit in; sometimes they just keep
> getting "outcaster and outcaster".
>
> My advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it): go ride your
> bikes; have fun; enjoy your local trails; ride with your gf as often
> as possible; have fun; try new places as opportunities allow; have
> fun; work on skills and techniques and buy lots of stuff (techno AND
> just plain useful), and -- most of all -- HAVE FUN.
>
> (Oh, and if you keep reading/posting to AM-B, resist the urge to reply
> to every troll attempt and/or flame bait. How do you feel about
> changing your name and starting over?!? :)
>
> Bill "already noticed 'less' silly quotation marks!" S.

um, yeah. What he said!

Tom says:

> I get to
>be the irresponsible one (and the fun parent).

Heehee... That is the fun part, isn't it? That seems to be my position in the
family, too. Something to do with biking, maybe?

Steve