Nokian Tires

Dan Volker wrote:

> "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Dan V says:
>>
>><snip rant>
>>
>>Dan - you just don't "get" it, do you?
>>
>>;-)
>>
>>Steve

> I don't think any of you guys do either.
> If a person is having a lot of fun doing a certain kind of ride, that
> should be the "end all" in most circles, but with you guys, if they are not
> having fun on the right kind of bike, doing your kind of trails, then they
> are doing it wrong, and are clueless about the right way to have fun.
> And having an argument about the right way to have fun seems pretty stupid
> all by itself, and obviously, I've been stupid enough to wade in to this ;-)
> So you're right, I have been stupid, and no, I don't get it.
>

> DanV

For starters, reasoning with the regulars here is like reasoning with a
drunk, everything changes minute to minute. Unless your in the clic
then forget about being treated with an ounce of respect.

Second, you talked **** about how tech your local trails are and it
became plainly obvious that they aren't when you compare them TO THE
REST OF THE COUNTRY. You should have backed down, you didn't; even a
weatherman could have predicted that would everyone pounce.

Third, you called JD to the table on riding skills, why, what's the
point, your not going to ride with him. While he may not be a
compasionate useneter he is respected as a rider, choosing to go down
that road was just bizarre. He may indeed not live up to all the hype
but who give a ****.

"kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
>

> Second, you talked **** about how tech your local trails are and it
> became plainly obvious that they aren't when you compare them TO THE
> REST OF THE COUNTRY. You should have backed down, you didn't; even a
> weatherman could have predicted that would everyone pounce.

A video will be coming.

> Third, you called JD to the table on riding skills, why, what's the
> point, your not going to ride with him. While he may not be a
> compasionate useneter he is respected as a rider, choosing to go down
> that road was just bizarre. He may indeed not live up to all the hype
> but who give a ****.

Sooner or later I will get myself out to Colorado, or at least get him to
agree to Bootleg Canyon ( a trip I already have planned).
It does not sound like immediate resolutiuon will occur on this.

Dan V

>>Dan Volker wrote:
>>

>>Second, you talked **** about how tech your local trails are and it
>>became plainly obvious that they aren't when you compare them TO THE
>>REST OF THE COUNTRY.

> A video will be coming.
>
>>Third, you called JD to the table on riding skills

> Sooner or later I will get myself out to Colorado, or at least get him to
> agree to Bootleg Canyon ( a trip I already have planned).

Sigh

mojo deluxe wrote:
> "Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>spademan o---[) * wrote:
>>

>>>Nice helmet hair! http://www.pbase.com/image/27707906

>>Thanks Steve. Still nice to have any at all. :-|
>>

> Funny how when it falls out, it takes root in your back.

I'm all laughs. Better the back than ears, nose, and eyebrows.
Apparently nature doesn't give us that choice though.

Shawn (Now where are those tweezers.)

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:09:09 -0500, kantspel wrote:
> >
> > > Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
> > > I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
> > > like there would be good entertainment value as well.

> > Of course, if you were going to ride with Dan, it could only be for the
> > objective of seeing who could "smoke" who as you "duel it out" on the
> > trail. Fine, if that's what you're into. You could swap training
> > calculation tips over dinner.
> >
> > Personally, I'd rather ride with people who just enjoy mountain biking.
> > That's what the AMB get-togethers tend to be. The guys in the back don't
> > have to hear word one about how what a "loser" they are or how their bikes
> > are "shitty". And no one considers it "messing up the ride for everone
> > else" to wait for slower riders.
> >

> Its amazing how the regulars of this NG like to define good riding and a
> good rider...Just a few examples from recent posts:

Unlike you. Ooops, except for all that talk about "expert class"
riders.

> *****It doesn't matter how fast you are... ( yet there is constant
> commenting about how SS rider blew this guy's doors off, or equivalent speed
> remark)

No, it seem to matter to *you* how fast folks are. You were the one
claiming all sorts of speed benefits.

Most folks really don't care that much. But that doesn't imply that
your overly-broad generalizations aren't over-broad.

> *****The guys in the back don't have to hear word one about how what a
> "loser" they are or how their bikes
> are "shitty". ( Yet the SS crew is CONSTANTLY trashing full suspension
> bikes, they constantly trash Treks, and they constantly trash forks that
> aren't their favorite brand). They have taken this so far as to suggest that
> SS riding is BETTER than full suspension riding, and is a "purer" and more
> fulfilling form of the sport---and somehow they are completely unaware of
> the self indulgence they are cultivating.

Here's a clue, Danny, from a real-life (not USENET) meeting:

Couple of SS guys, guys that proclaim SS goodness here often, went on
a group ride. They didn't say one damn thing to anyone about their
shitty Konas, FS Cannondales, beater steel HTs, or any other bike.
They just rode their bikes. And just because I tease Sorni about his
GR adventures, that doesn't mean I'm actually an elitist. I have no
doubt that Bill Wheeler wouldn't have anything to say about my FS rig
if he and I went for a ride. We'd have some fun yapping, but *that's
all it is.*

You are obviously taking yourself way too seriously.

> *****They like to say things like "mountain biking is about having fun", but
> then ONLY they can determine the PROPER way to have fun on a mountain
> bike---its not even so much something they could define here, its more like
> something they will "know when they see it" ;-)

Yeah - after all, *you've* never done such a thing. :roll eyes:

Mostly folks are giving you **** because of your SBA regarding their
rides, and the way they have fun.

Clue: live and let live. If it's not clear what I mean, then I can
sure dig up dismissive and elitist quotes by you to prove the point.

> ******"Fitness does not matter, it mostly skills" was another recent
> paraphrase

Showing, of course, that the meaning can be paraphrased out of
anything, and that any comment can be twisted to suit an end.

Tell me, what does fitness have to do with technical skill? If I lift
weights for aerobic fitness, how does that help me pick a smooth line?

> I should probably work this up into another 20 of these, but I don't have
> time right now.

You should really concentrate on being less indignant, and being more
calm. If you are half as smart as you think you are, then you'll be
able to recognize yourself in many of the criticisms you level at
others. Strange, don't you think, that I don't take Wheeler's and
JD's comments on SS riding personally, and you do? Why is it that you
seem to be swimming upstream here? Why don't you think about it a
little before you rip off another indignant reply?
--
Jonesy

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I am headed to San Felasco Friday

> I built part of that trail.
>
> > and then on Sunday to ride Razorback.

> I've done that one on a singlespeed.

Are you sure you didn't just walk it, or imagined that you rode it?
After all, Danny claims that SS bike riders just can't cut it on his
"knarly" trails.

Remember, there's no shame in walking it...
--
Jonesy

"TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
> "Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
> > Its amazing how the regulars of this NG like to define good riding and a
> > good rider...

> (snip evidence of too much time spent poorly)
>
> > I should probably work this up into another 20 of these, but I don't have
> > time right now.
> >
> > Dan V
> >

> All of that is true, but what does it matter? This isn't an essay contest,
> is it? Are you just trying to find anything you are right about to save
> your ego?

Bullseye!

> I have no dog in this fight, but would like to tell you that you've really
> worked yourself into a sweet deal. You've got an experienced local to show
> you some great trails for 100/day.

I get paid more for a day with nice clients through Dreamride.

> If you lose... well how could you lose riding in Colorado all day? I
> wouldn't be surprised if JD shows up to the courthouse and there are a dozen
> 'dan volkers' looking forward to the outing.

That's where you are incorrect, my friend. The fact is that Vo2lker
will not show, nor would anyone of his ilk. I'll still be there, will
ride it solo again and will enjoy it as thoroughly as I did last time.

> Take him up on it, it could really be a riot. I guarantee it will be way
> more fun than the tortured time that went into writing your post.

HAHAHAHAHA, tortured...yes.

JD

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:21:47 -0500, kantspel wrote:

> but who give a ****.

This is really the key point (which Dan ignored and completely cut out).

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as
if she has laid an asteroid."

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:
(snip)

> Sooner or later I will get myself out to Colorado, or at least get
> him to agree to Bootleg Canyon ( a trip I already have planned).
> It does not sound like immediate resolutiuon will occur on this.
>

> Dan V

....But what does "smoke you on a trail anytime" really mine? Looking more
and more like senseless usenet blustering after all, eh?

and I nominate JD for the "troll of the year" even though it's only April!

Tom

Dan Volker wrote:

> A video will be coming.

Who cares?

--
Perre

Per Elms=E4ter wrote:
> Dan Volker wrote:
>=20
>>A video will be coming.
>>

>=20
>=20
> Who cares?
>=20
> --
> Perre
>=20
>=20

lol
--
Slacker

> I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday to
> ride Razorback.

Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)

I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
difficult?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday

> > ride Razorback.

> Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
>
> I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
> difficult?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Too bad I did'nt know before leaving--I'd have invited you to ride with us.

In any event, Sandra and I did San Felasco on Saturday, with another couple
we ride with ( the ones moving this week to about 30 minutes from Bootleg
Canyon), and on Sunday we did Razor back.
San Felasco was a lot of fun, with some actual vertical ( though not by
standards of anyone out west or from the Carolina area) . It has a great
flow to it, and its a trail that you can really motor on. I did not find it
as technically demanding as Quiet Waters, but it was much more fun, and by
any comparison, San Felasco is a much better trail.

We did Razorback on Sunday, and it blew my mind. Awesome twists in high
speed sections would go for a mile, then suddenly you'd hit a drop that
would run almost straight down, pulling your speed to over 30mph, with the
drop path littered with rocks and bumps and ground that would make you
imagine you were someplace outside of Florida.
The climbs that would inevitably follow, or precede the drops were technical
climbs. They require speed and good sprinting power, and they are really
fun. Some were so long and steep I had never experienced anything similar,
and 2 or three actually stalled me around 5 feet from the top, with a front
wheel I could not hold down any longer.
And I will admit, the very first big drop on the trail, which is considered
the most difficult drop/climb combo, is something I will have to ride a few
more times before I can clean this section. The drop was fun and easy for me
( although a friend I was riding with, wiped out mid way down, and residual
swelling and pains led to us only doing one lap before he had had enough).
The climb following the drop was another story. I just was not prepared for
something this long and steep, and only made it about 3/4 up--leaving me a
real walk up, and shaking my head. I couldn't keep the front wheel down, and
even if I had been perched on top of the bars like I was near the end of the
trail on other steep climbs, I don't know if I would have made this. I'm
guessing it takes huge entrance speed, and then one massive gear switch--but
I'll need to try this a few times the next time I go here ( or follow
someone who is really good on this trail).
I will say this right now, if there is a guy on a single speed bike, who can
ride this clean, my hat's off to you.

As to how technical this is, compared to Quiet Waters.....First, Quiet
Waters is a shitty little trail, that local clubs have done the best they
can with. It does not have the natural advantages that Razorback does. Quiet
waters is technical for high speed riding. It is harder to get around Quiet
Waters clean, and fast, than it is to go around Razorback( if you omit the
steep climbs). The climbs on Razorback are a kind of technical, which Quiet
Waters has nothing that even relates .... Razorback is a great trail, and
I'll never say that about Quiet Waters.

Anyway, Phil, if you or anyone else wants to do Razorback in the next few
weeks, let me know, because I will definitely be going back.

Dan V

> We did Razorback on Sunday, and it blew my mind. Awesome twists in high

Cool report. I see what you're saying... I think QW is akin to a sort of
playground, no? Although I haven't been there, people have said that
Razorback is definitely a loop of distance and objective. If anything, QW
may be similar to Santos, if you've ever been there. There are trails in
Santos, but then there are also rock quarrys and the like. You can switch
from the dirt jumps to the 20' drops and over to the XC section in seconds.

I'll have your e-mail filed away if I ever go to Razorback.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday to
> > ride Razorback.

> Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
>
> I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
> difficult?

You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing
so much about. I'm sure he'll never see what the riding near Lake
City is like because he will not show in July. He can keep tap
dancing, chest thumping and crowing though becaue it's hilarious.

JD

> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I am headed to San Felasco Friday to ride Saturday, and then on Sunday

> > > ride Razorback.

> > Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
> >
> > I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
> > difficult?

> You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing
> so much about. I'm sure he'll never see what the riding near Lake
> City is like because he will not show in July. He can keep tap
> dancing, chest thumping and crowing though becaue it's hilarious.
>
> JD

It won't be happening in July JD. But I will be out Nevada for a 9 day trip
to visit friends in the fall, and when I do this, I will make the drive to
Lake City.
At the moment, I am looking forward to hearing whether anyone here has done
Razorback on a SS bike, and successfully made all the climbs on it, clean.
If they did, I want to ride with them the next time they go out there.

Dan V

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > We did Razorback on Sunday, and it blew my mind. Awesome twists in high

> Cool report. I see what you're saying... I think QW is akin to a sort of
> playground, no? Although I haven't been there, people have said that
> Razorback is definitely a loop of distance and objective. If anything, QW
> may be similar to Santos, if you've ever been there. There are trails in
> Santos, but then there are also rock quarrys and the like. You can switch
> from the dirt jumps to the 20' drops and over to the XC section in

seconds.

> I'll have your e-mail filed away if I ever go to Razorback.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil,
Yeah, QW is kind of a local playground and close by training area for people
who live in Palm Beach or Broward county. If I had Santos 30 miles away, and
QW 10 miles away, I would ride QW maybe 2 or 3 times for every 20 I would
ride Santos. Santos is way more fun, and it has enough skill utilizing stuff
on it to be good for you at the same time. QW has come a long way from what
it started as, and because of its natural limitations, it has been made as
technically demanding as was possible, given the terrain. If you want to do
a fast lap on it, it is a skill builder. And its a place you can keep your
heart rate up into zone 4 and 5, and in fact, it is hard not to. Its
actually a bad place to go if you want to have an easy day on the mountain
bike, where you can just relax and spin.

Back to the coolest trail I have ridden so far in Florida, Razorback....Have
you ridden it, and are you planning to ride there any time soon ?

Dan V

Dan Volker wrote:

> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Hehe... you'll be driving about 100 yards away from where I live ;)
>>>
>>>I know what San Felasco is like... is Quiet Waters quite a bit more
>>>difficult?

>>You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing
>>so much about. I'm sure he'll never see what the riding near Lake
>>City is like because he will not show in July. He can keep tap
>>dancing, chest thumping and crowing though becaue it's hilarious.
>>
>>JD

> It won't be happening in July JD. But I will be out Nevada for a 9 day trip
> to visit friends in the fall, and when I do this, I will make the drive to
> Lake City.
> At the moment, I am looking forward to hearing whether anyone here has done
> Razorback on a SS bike, and successfully made all the climbs on it, clean.
> If they did, I want to ride with them the next time they go out there.
>

> Dan V

Since you're so interested in everyone elses performance, perhaps you
should develop some sort of MTB skills/fitness standard. Could save you
a lot of gas and wondering.

"kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote:
>
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>You tell us, Phil. Go down there and see what that rooster is crowing
> >>so much about. I'm sure he'll never see what the riding near Lake
> >>City is like because he will not show in July. He can keep tap
> >>dancing, chest thumping and crowing though becaue it's hilarious.
> >>
> >>JD

> > It won't be happening in July JD. But I will be out Nevada for a 9 day

trip
> > to visit friends in the fall, and when I do this, I will make the drive

> > Lake City.
> > At the moment, I am looking forward to hearing whether anyone here has

done
> > Razorback on a SS bike, and successfully made all the climbs on it,

clean.
> > If they did, I want to ride with them the next time they go out there.
> >

> > Dan V
> >

> Since you're so interested in everyone elses performance, perhaps you
> should develop some sort of MTB skills/fitness standard. Could save you
> a lot of gas and wondering.

Maybe I'm getting old from all this argueing, but I don't remember ever
claiming that the riders out West, or the NG members specifically had poor
skills or fitness---I'd normally be inclined to expect their fitness to be
higher, and their skills somewhat better than riders in less vertically
challenged areas ;-)
As I recall, I got my head handed to me by many of the NG regulars, who were
shocked that I could suggest that a Florida trail could be technical, or
that a Florida rider could have technical skills or fitness. The
distinction could be a little blurred from all the SS **** buried within the
same discussions, but since you were there from the start, you tell
me---Wasn't it a case of me "defending" my riding places and skills after
getting slammed ? That would mean the MTB skill/fitness standard originated
with you guys, and not with me.

Dan V