Nokian Tires

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:19:04 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

> Stills won't show the riding experience, and that's what we are arguing
> about ;-)

Once you shoot the video, you'll probably find it doesn't either. A Google
search of the "video flattening effect" will turn up a few hits. :)

Better than nothing, I suppose.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Stephen Baker wrote:

> Dan V says:
>

>>Stills won't show the riding experience, and that's what we are arguing
>>about ;-)

> No, but they'll show the terrain - unless the pics posted earlier are
> representitive...
>
> Besides, you could zoom out and shoot some this evening, post 'em tonight, and
> not have to wait weeks for your buddy to decide if he's going to let you borrow
> his cam.
>
> Steve

The pic probably are representative of the terrain. It'd be funny if it
wasn't so sad:( Poor guy should have kept quite and just enjoyed his
trails.

Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
like there would be good entertainment value as well.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:09:09 -0500, kantspel wrote:

> Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
> I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
> like there would be good entertainment value as well.

Of course, if you were going to ride with Dan, it could only be for the
objective of seeing who could "smoke" who as you "duel it out" on the
trail. Fine, if that's what you're into. You could swap training
calculation tips over dinner.

Personally, I'd rather ride with people who just enjoy mountain biking.
That's what the AMB get-togethers tend to be. The guys in the back don't
have to hear word one about how what a "loser" they are or how their bikes
are "shitty". And no one considers it "messing up the ride for everone
else" to wait for slower riders.

I don't see that a Dan Volker-style get-together would be a big draw.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Stephen Baker wrote:
>
> > Dan V says:
> >

> >>Stills won't show the riding experience, and that's what we are arguing
> >>about ;-)

> > No, but they'll show the terrain - unless the pics posted earlier are
> > representitive...
> >
> > Besides, you could zoom out and shoot some this evening, post 'em

tonight, and
> > not have to wait weeks for your buddy to decide if he's going to let you

borrow
> > his cam.
> >
> > Steve

> The pic probably are representative of the terrain. It'd be funny if it
> wasn't so sad:( Poor guy should have kept quite and just enjoyed his
> trails.
>
> Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
> I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
> like there would be good entertainment value as well.

I'll be doing Tsali and Pisgah next month some time...Any takers?

As to the videos at quiet waters and Ft Pierce, I think lighting issues and
perspective flatten out the trail.
Time of day could help by getting the right lighting ( meaning the right
shadows and contrasts) and I could shoot some sections from a 2nd
perspective ( 2nd to the helmet cam) at a lower angle that does not flatten
as much...I'll try, but no guarantees.

Dan V

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>
>> Good for you. By the way, I'd still be interested in seeing pictures
>> and video of this trail.
>>

> I don't know Bomba, but I'm glad I'm over here in safe-n-sane
> California because that place does look pretty gnarly
> <http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/images/sf/sf2.jpg>
>
> http://www.clubmud.com/pics_qw.shtml

Hahahahaha, those are awesome. Add a little asphalt and you've got your
standard municipal bike path. You can still call it "technical" right up
until they put the cute little mini stop signs at the intersections!

Hell, I live in eastern Virigina. Our **** is flat too, but I'm not making
any claims except that they're fun to ride on.

Tom

Dan Volker <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Slacker <[email protected]> had this to say
>> news:c4vr8u$2l7o3h$1@ID- 191655.news.uni-berlin.de
>>
>>> http://www.clubmud.com/pics_qw.shtml

>> ROTFLMFAO!!
>>
>> heheheeh, now that was a good one!

> Its nice you guys are so easily entertained. Not that this will curb
> the entertainment value much, but the pics do little to convey what
> the ride is like.
> Dan V

Dan, you're the one that's so entertaining. You tell us how gnarly this
trail is, but every description and picture anyone's managed to dig up fails
to live up to your billing. First the review is too old, then the reviewer
is stupid, now the pictures don't do it justice. WTF! How's this for a
theory -- your a smack-talking idiot and the other three data points are
accurate. Well, it's only a theory.....

Tom

BB wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:09:09 -0500, kantspel wrote:
>
>> Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
>> I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
>> like there would be good entertainment value as well.

> Of course, if you were going to ride with Dan, it could only be for
> the objective of seeing who could "smoke" who as you "duel it out" on
> the trail. Fine, if that's what you're into. You could swap training
> calculation tips over dinner.
>
> Personally, I'd rather ride with people who just enjoy mountain
> biking. That's what the AMB get-togethers tend to be. The guys in the
> back don't have to hear word one about how what a "loser" they are or
> how their bikes are "shitty". And no one considers it "messing up the
> ride for everone else" to wait for slower riders.

you mean it's not a race and it's supposed to be fun? God what a concept.

> I don't see that a Dan Volker-style get-together would be a big draw.

I have to wash my hair.

p.

bomba wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:53:43 -0700, Jonesy wrote:
>

>>>Haven't have had this much fun reading a thread since gianni z (Ah ah death to you - Your Florida trails are made of plastic)

>>ROTFL!
>>
>>Gianni *was* quite entertaining.

> Yes, but has anyone noticed how all their derailleurs are now made of
> metal?

G works for Sram was only doing some market research.
--
Slacker

> Here are some pics of a typical Colorado car road.
> http://www.pbase.com/image/27707171 (hit "next" for a close up of the
> sign)
> Don't believe me? Go to mapquest and ask for driving directions from
> Marble to Crested Butte. It takes you over this road-Schofield pass.
> I'm sure they've got a disclamer somewhere "Roads not gauranteed to be
> passable by Humvee." or some such.
>
> Shawn

Is that a Maverick your riding? How do you like it?
--
Slacker

bomba wrote:

> I'm usually too busy blasting through the technical sections (with a big
> grin) to take photos, but sometimes there are other people there to take
> the pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/snowdon/snowdon12.jpg

Now that looks fun. Is that *****, Rimmer, taking another stogie
break?!?! ;-)

--
Slacker

Dan Volker wrote:
> "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>Its going to take a helmet cam and video. My Gl1 is too big to mount on

> my
>
>>>helmet, but if I can get a friend of mine to let me mount his Zr50 to my
>>>helmet, I'll run Quiet Waters and Fort Pierce with it. He's mildly
>>>concerned about breakage, but the camcorder is cheap enough so that if I
>>>beak it, it won't kill me to replace it. I'm thinking I might get a

> better
>
>>>image with the buit in optical image stabilization of the camera, than

> on
>
>>>one of the little helmet mount rigs....I would not mind if Pete got back

>>>me on this....
>>>
>>>I have a tray from an underwater housing I can mount the camera to, and

> then
>
>>>mount this tray w/camera to my helmet, for a pretty stable platform.
>>>

>>>Dan V
>>>

>>I shot this with a zr45 and a hommeade mount.
>>http://66.92.236.85/testatquarry.wmv Works great.
>>
>>Regardless, I think it's pretty obvious that your idea of technical
>>is...well...not. A couple dirt jumps, little ladder drops, and sand
>>just isn't going to compare to what most other locales have. I'm not
>>knocking your park, I'm sure it's fun, but get a grip on reality man.
>>
>>Our park is fun and pretty tech, but I'm not going to boast that it
>>holds a candle to some of the trails near the real mountains, it's all
>>relative.
>>
>>BTW, if you're ever in this neck of the woods I bet my playground could
>>whoop your playgrounds ass:p You'd get dropped faster than JD in FL.

> Looks like an enjoyable place for you to do your daily rides. Where did you
> say this was?
>
> One issue I see you have, would also be a problem at Quiet Waters in the
> late afternoon---you are shooting into the sun, and the camera can't see as
> well as we can in that scenario...that angle of trail would need to be shot
> in the morning--at least, a big part of Quiet Waters would need to, or I'd
> have a similar issue. I might have to shoot half in early morning, and half
> in the evening ;-)
>
> Did placing the ZR45 on your camera seem to do any damage to it ? I'm
> talking about jarring and vibrations, not face plants :)
>

> Dan V

That was the first test, so long term durability hasn't been determined,
I don't anticipate any problems, it is secured with a firm layer of foam
in the case. Future shoots will definatly be closer to midday and
overcast conditions.

BB wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:09:09 -0500, kantspel wrote:
>

>>Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
>>I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
>>like there would be good entertainment value as well.

> Of course, if you were going to ride with Dan, it could only be for the
> objective of seeing who could "smoke" who as you "duel it out" on the
> trail. Fine, if that's what you're into. You could swap training
> calculation tips over dinner.
>
> Personally, I'd rather ride with people who just enjoy mountain biking.
> That's what the AMB get-togethers tend to be. The guys in the back don't
> have to hear word one about how what a "loser" they are or how their bikes
> are "shitty". And no one considers it "messing up the ride for everone
> else" to wait for slower riders.
>
> I don't see that a Dan Volker-style get-together would be a big draw.

oh no, don't get me wrong, I have nothing to prove. I could give a damn
how other ride, actually i prefer riding with folks better than me,
that's the best time to learn and be pushed.

I just want to see what he considers good, who knows, there could be an
untapped well of baddassness in southern fl but it's too seperated from
the mainland to ever compare;)

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> wrote

> I am headed to San Felasco Friday

I built part of that trail.

> and then on Sunday to ride Razorback.

I've done that one on a singlespeed.

Enjoy.

CC

tcmedara wrote:

> Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.clubmud.com/pics_qw.shtml

> Hahahahaha, those are awesome. Add a little asphalt and you've got your
> standard municipal bike path. You can still call it "technical" right up
> until they put the cute little mini stop signs at the intersections!
>
> Hell, I live in eastern Virigina. Our **** is flat too, but I'm not making
> any claims except that they're fun to ride on.
>
> Tom

Man, you got know idea how hard it was to control the track ball on my
mouse, cut and paste the link while LMAO!
--
Slacker

"kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BB wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:54:54 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:
> >

> >>I already offered a bet amount of $100 for you and your lame ass, SS

bike,
> >>to keep up with me at Quiet Waters on just one lap ....if I doubled or
> >>tripled that bet, it could potentially cover your trip costs--assuming

you
> >>are as good as you think you are...

> > Wow, you must be pretty bad at math. Colorado is over 2000 miles away;
> > he'd be looking at 4 extremely long days of driving. Gas, hotel, food -
> > about $700. All to ride some short-ass trail with which you'll be
> > intimitely familiar and he'll be riding for the first time.
> >
> > You must think you're pretty damn special that its worth $400-600 and a
> > week of lost vacation to shut you up. Besides, we'd miss your song and
> > dance!
> >

> oh oh, come out my way. Not only do we have a park like van dork er dan
> vork, er, whatever, for a face off, but we also have some reasonable
> trails to ride as well (at least more reasonable than FL).
>
> It'd be *****ing to get the amb crew all signed up for the Chequamegon,
> look it up, it's a neat event.

A 35 mile road ride? I don't think so.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> "kantspel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>BB wrote:

> bike,

> you

>>>Wow, you must be pretty bad at math. Colorado is over 2000 miles away;
>>>he'd be looking at 4 extremely long days of driving. Gas, hotel, food -
>>>about $700. All to ride some short-ass trail with which you'll be
>>>intimitely familiar and he'll be riding for the first time.
>>>
>>>You must think you're pretty damn special that its worth $400-600 and a
>>>week of lost vacation to shut you up. Besides, we'd miss your song and
>>>dance!
>>>

>>oh oh, come out my way. Not only do we have a park like van dork er dan
>>vork, er, whatever, for a face off, but we also have some reasonable
>>trails to ride as well (at least more reasonable than FL).
>>
>>It'd be *****ing to get the amb crew all signed up for the Chequamegon,
>>look it up, it's a neat event.
>>

> A 35 mile road ride? I don't think so.
>
> Greg

Think of it more as a 35 mile group ride/party on dirt. Oh, and get
over yourself.

Slacker wrote:
>> Here are some pics of a typical Colorado car road.
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/27707171 (hit "next" for a close up of the
>> sign)
>> Don't believe me? Go to mapquest and ask for driving directions from
>> Marble to Crested Butte. It takes you over this road-Schofield pass.
>> I'm sure they've got a disclamer somewhere "Roads not gauranteed to be
>> passable by Humvee." or some such.
>>
>> Shawn

> Is that a Maverick your riding? How do you like it?
> --
> Slacker

Nah, Klein Palomino. I like it a lot. First FS for me (first new MTB
in 12 years FTM). Rides tall. Look at the seat compared to my height.
That took some getting used to.
The rear suspension is great. I've never felt like it slowed me on
climbs. I don't notice it at all while pedaling. I was concerned about
this 'Bob" fellow-never met him. And it only helps coming down. :)
The only down side is that the bushings are sensitive to crud and seem
to be overly sensitive (IMHO) to the torque on the bolts holding the
swing arm on. Either makes the suspension notchy over the small bumbs.
Still works great on anything bigger than a marble. When its dialed
it will move if you hit a big grain of sand.
That particular frame is now wall art in the LBS though. The seat post
slipped constantly and the rear triangle wasn't welded quite straight,
not that it mattered as far as I could tell. I seem to have warranty
problems with orange bikes. Go figure. Now I ride a boring white 2004
model (and I switched to discs).

Shawn

"Dan Volker" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Slacker <[email protected]> had this to say
>> news:c4vr8u$2l7o3h$1@ID- 191655.news.uni-berlin.de
>>
>> > http://www.clubmud.com/pics_qw.shtml

>> ROTFLMFAO!!
>>
>> heheheeh, now that was a good one!

> Its nice you guys are so easily entertained. Not that this will curb
> the entertainment value much, but the pics do little to convey what
> the ride is like.
> Dan V

You know, you're right, it did very little to the entertainment value.
Thanks anyway.

kantspel <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> Stephen Baker wrote:
>
>> Dan V says:
>>

>>>Stills won't show the riding experience, and that's what we are
>>>arguing about ;-)

>> No, but they'll show the terrain - unless the pics posted earlier are
>> representitive...
>>
>> Besides, you could zoom out and shoot some this evening, post 'em
>> tonight, and not have to wait weeks for your buddy to decide if he's
>> going to let you borrow his cam.
>>
>> Steve

> The pic probably are representative of the terrain. It'd be funny if
> it wasn't so sad:( Poor guy should have kept quite and just enjoyed
> his trails.
>
> Dan, you should organize a group ride in north GA or someting, I know
> I'd do my best to show up. The trails there are great and it sounds
> like there would be good entertainment value as well.

I'd gladly help out with something like that...

Dave (the entertainment value alone would e worth the price of admission)

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:46:24 +0000, Stephen Baker wrote:
>
> > Dan V said one day not so long ago:
> >
> >>I'm sure our local trails would be too technically demanding to be fair

for
> >>him, so I'm not quite sure "where" a challenge like this would

happen....

> > How 'bout here in Rhode Island?
> >
> > http://www.members.aol.com/rihardrock/arcadia/image-01a.jpg

> That looks good fun.
>
> I'm usually too busy blasting through the technical sections (with a big
> grin) to take photos, but sometimes there are other people there to take
> the pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/snowdon/snowdon12.jpg

Hey, nice pic!
I can't remember - is there an AMB UK 'Return to Mt. Snowdon' trip pencilled
in anytime this spring?

Steve.