Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Hi girls, slightly new here, 41 yrs.(ugh) have no idea how THAT happened, but anyway, I have been a roadie since last summer. I just completed my first Century ride,,and did quiet well,,6hr. 15. It was the perfect day for my century and surly will do another. I live in N. Jersey and bike with my hubby as well as a close friend. My bike sits in my family room,,because she's so new,,(6 months) and my kids tease me,,"we're not allowed to keep our bikes in the FAMILY ROOM!" heheh good to be me! I love biking, I love going up hills rather than down (fear of road rash),,and finishing my century,,,was the nicest slice of pie I've had in awhile...now to get my time under 6 hrs!!!! Love this site!!

Karenemt said:
All I know was that it was SO stupid of me! I like cycling much and have missed out on all this fun for 20 years :)
Hey Karen, I know we exchanged some chats about my Century ride,,but I swear I cant find that thread!! So I posted about it here,,,oh well!!

Well, I guess I should add my "stuff":

I'm 34, long distance touring cyclist. I'm a computer security geek/professor when I'm not cycling. I'm in Toronto and I'm getting more and more into cycling (the details)

Well, I guess I'll add my stuff too:) I am 39 (swanygirl - LOL-don't know how I got here either) and just started riding more seriously this year. Currently a stay-at-home mom and getting ready for a move to Australia, where my husband is from. I just completed the WI MS 150 this weekend - actually 155 miles :D- and feel so fantastic as I had been doubtful about being able to complete it. Furthest ridden prior to this was 50 miles, so it was a big stretch.

I just found this forum looking for info. on calculating incline...so funny that it points straight to a bunch of cycling pages. Guess we are the only people who really care...so we can brag that we just did a 10% climb! :p

Anyway, browsing the topics this looks like a great resource for information or just plain chatting about cycling stuff.

I am 34, live in Southern California...the best place to ride! I have been racing road bikes for 3 years now. This year is my first really serious year, thanks to the boyfriend who is very serious about racing.

I was just in Wisconsin for a race series called Superweek. What a blast! Those Cheeseheads know how to support cyclists.

Next week is Austria for Worlds! Wahoooo! I love this sport!

nancyinky said:
very cool...i'm from ithica, ny. i now live in WV. lots of caves around here ;0) mud too. and oh yeah-things to fling yourself down.

and 28 is a good age!!!

Hey there, I currently live in Ithaca (is that what you meant?)! Lots of nice hills around here...
Anyways, I just joined these forums, and I'm a 23 year old grad student at Cornell, studying for my PhD in astrophysics. I've had my road bike now for 2 years, and I love it. I'm a converted ex-distance runner (my knees couldn't take anymore) and I'm really just starting to get more into road cycling. I'm going to be doing my first century in a few weeks, and next summer I hope to start doing some races (as a Cat 4 noob, of course).
Nice to meet you all!

And the list gets longer! I'm 26yrs, have been cycling since I was 12yrs of age (and racing), and got addicted to it so much I decided to study sports science and coach. Now coach "chics" and "blokes" - mainly roadies which is heaps of fun. Just recently converted myself into a trackie (sprinting), after years of unsuccessful road racing -(....dam those hills and that thing power to weight!!!) and thoroughly enjoying it! Now proudly take the "largest" thigh competition amongst my training partners!!! Hmm.. whatelse... into anything sporting, photography, art and travel.

Any other trackie girls out there to have a thigh off!!!???

Hi everyone,

I just got into this site a few weeks ago, and thought I should introduce myself on this section too. *waves to ms. mittens*

I am 33 years old and a charity fundraiser. I have just barely started cycling. I rode around as a kid, and did some cycling in Holland with my dad when I was younger. I have always enjoyed it, but never been motivated to get a bike.....until I met a man who is a MAJOR cycling fanatic (cydewaze on this board). He has a mountain bike and a road bike and goes on ENORMOUS rides, pretty much on a daily basis. Well, when I expressed an interest in joining him he went and got me TWO bikes! He lives in the US, so he got me my road bike (a LeMond Reno) for there, and a hybrid for Toronto. I have been on a grand total of 5 rides now. My longest was 45 miles, which was done a week ago in the rain (on the road bike)! I was so proud of myself, as it was TWICE as long as my other rides. However, I was EXHAUSTED and felt like never seeing another bike again after that!

Somehow though, since recovering from that, my interest continues to go and I am really looking forward to riding again. I plan to continue and see how well I can do. I am progressing obviously, but with Asthma, I have a very low lung capacity, so I doubt I will win (or enter) any races. I also have very flexible but soft muscles. Since cycling, my legs have firmed up a lot, but they will always be pretty noodly. (I also do ballet on a regular basis, and belly dance in a U2 tribute band btw).

Well that's it for me, and I hope I can learn a lot here!

Jessica

Hey there everyone.

I'm new to the forums, and new to cycling as more then a hobby as well. And I'm totally feeling like I'm repeating everything I said in the first post I made here. Whoops?

Anyway, new information: I'm 30, live in Burlington, ON, work as a Usability Engineer, and work out pretty much everyday, cardio, weights, pilates, you name it. I really wanted to start doing cardio outside, and had planned to take up running, but I up and broke my foot in March. Once I got the go ahead to put a bit more stress then what using an elliptical or stationary bike causes, the first thing I did was buy myself a low end mountain bike. And dammit, I like riding so much, I want to upgrade already. Ha!

Anyway, it's nice to be here.

Hello!

32, Electrical Engineer. I am also new to biking, just picked up my '05 TREK 2100 WSD and I love it. Only rode 10miles today,as it was getting dark and I don't think I could go any further. I normally work out in a gym.. treadmill, weights, etc. but being on the bike was do different. I didn't feel like I was in any type of conditioning, even though I have worked out for years.

Hi,

I'm new to the board too- I'm 31, live in Washington, have two kids (1 & 3) and have finally gotten to the point where I want to be physically active and I love cycling best.

I am getting used to my clipless pedals after I fell twice a couple of weeks ago (doh), once while pulling the yakima trailer with my kids in it. Doh. Now every time we see someone cycling on the road my 3-year old chirps, "Mama, maybe they fall down?"

Nice.

I came across the board looking for tips on training for a century next year, all the links I've found are dead though.

Happy riding, Jeannette

LOL! I had a terrible time with the clipless pedals. I fell over just standing in an intersection! I lost my balance with one foot clipped in, and one standing. I was so embarrassed and had a hideously scraped up knee. They still make me nervous, I'm not used to them yet.

jeannetteok said:
Hi,

I'm new to the board too- I'm 31, live in Washington, have two kids (1 & 3) and have finally gotten to the point where I want to be physically active and I love cycling best.

I am getting used to my clipless pedals after I fell twice a couple of weeks ago (doh), once while pulling the yakima trailer with my kids in it. Doh. Now every time we see someone cycling on the road my 3-year old chirps, "Mama, maybe they fall down?"

Nice.

I came across the board looking for tips on training for a century next year, all the links I've found are dead though.

Happy riding, Jeannette

I assume you've done a search. By just typing in century training, you can find some decent advice on how to train (although it is indeed old), or try century.

yeah, I also am getting used to the clipless pedals. I was slowing down, trying not to stop but the car I was waiting on also slowed,and I came to a complete stop, and fell out in the middle of the street. The person I was riding with, quickly scooped me up, but I was so embarressed! I was scared to death th try again, but I just need more practice!. My knee bleed all night. I can't believe I have gotten to be 32 and am going to start all over scraping up my knees...like I did when I was a child!

Heheheh... sounds like I'm not the only one with banged up knees. The first time I fell I was just about to go on my first club ride (I joined the local cycling club) and thankfully, got there early. I was also, thankfully, in a parking lot, but I was still mortified and I still feel a little anxiety, even though I have been riding accident-free for about three weeks now.

I rode along on one leg of the Hood to Coast Relay (running) this past weekend, my friend had a bit of a dodgy course in the dark... I rode along Powell Blvd in Portland, OR and snapping in and out of the pedals seems more second nature now. I was so tired when I drove home, though, that every time I hit the brake I kinda twisted my foot on the pedal, like I was kicking out of my bike.

I caught a thread in the Women's Cycling forum where some guy wanted to know why younger women don't go clipless... maybe we're just braver. Or that much closer to senility.

Happy Monday!

AppleDeco said:
I got into cycling because my boyfriend is really, really into it. I want to get in better shape and I find cycling to be really fun. I haven't progressed much since I first started except I've increased my average speed, yay!
My boyfriend also got me into biking, but since he is an adventure racer I've gone down the mountain bike path. Completely love blasting down the mountain on single track, although I will say 2 hrs up for 10 min of fun down isn't that much fun. Luckly the ski resorts around here will let you take your bike up the chair lift, you know for those lazy days. ;)

Hi Everyone,

I'm Cindy from South Louisiana, U.S. I'm 47 and live with my husband, who cycles with me, and our cat :) We are both returning to cycling for fun and recreation after 12 years. I currently own a MTB - Diamondback Sorrento-and I'm expecting delivery of a Giant Cypress SL any day now. I belong to two clubs and I'm traning for my first century! I want to commute on a daily basis to work, but haven't quite worked up to that yet. I live in a rural area with no bike paths and a poorly educated public. Aside from cycling, I enjoy scuba diving, camping, fishing, swimming and gardening, and travel.

ness said:
Hi everyone, I just thought initally it would be nice to know exactly how many of us females post on cyclingforums.com, so why not post a small introduction each to get things started?<br /><br />Ok heres me:<br />22, Live in Sydney Australia, will be riding mostly sprint track events. Hobbies apart from cycling - Horse riding, and going to the gym, coaching my boyfriend (athletics) and rnb music.<br /> ;D

:) :confused: I don't know how to reply. I'll try this.

My name is Cynthia. I'm trying to reply to - Ok girls - just how many of us are there here? I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My hobbies are bicycling, playing piano, singing, reading. I work for a beekeeper, or work in factories.
I am 44 years of age.

Hi, Cynthia and everyone else: Ellie here from Boise. thought I'd revive the chain of response since the last sept '03 reply. I am 40 this year in '04 (cute huh!). and I adore cycling... gave Spinning a try in 2000 when I was having trouble losing some 'after my second baby weight'. was hooked right away and in 6 months took the orientation to become an instructor. lost the weight, love to teach. set some goals for myself: got a job in a health club teaching Spinning, and in 2002 road some 1600 miles or more that spring and summer and topped it off with a Century ride. '03 I did some hill climb races and a two man time trial race, and liked that so much I decided to do it again this year. each year I keep adding new races I'd like to try to keep getting some different exposure in the world of cycling. love Boise because of all the riding and outdoor opportunities. I'm from Ohio and probably won't go back. So it's pretty much what I do, be a full time Mom, do some part time work out of home, volunteer here and there, and ride to zone out the world and tune in to ME. am a heart rate training geek me and my Polar...better stop here except to say good for you who is asking about the girl riders. I stumbled on this web site in search of info or connections about woman cyclists over 40

Elkoninc said:
Hi, Cynthia and everyone else: Ellie here from Boise. thought I'd revive the chain of response since the last sept '03 reply.
Hi Cynthia, Boise sounds like a great place to live. As far as the dates for posts go, I believe you were looking at the previous poster's join date. The dates for the posts themselves are in the dark blue border at the top of each pos (day-month-yr format) Happy riding!