Today I went 'Spinning', as opposed to 'Pushing'

Hell and High Water

Guest
Thanks SB!!

I've got an old Bianchi with two up front and seven in the back.

Normally, when I'm out riding I find myself in @ 10-13. (generally)
Today, after reading the suggestions of 'Shifty' Brown, I decided to
spin....

I tried to keep the resistance down significantly more than I normally
do. I (basically) shifted 'earlier'. Normally I'd crank it out longer
in 13, before I bail and shift to 12/11/10...

So at the end of the ride, I thought about it, and realized that I was
generally in 8-11 for the majority of the time. (I did hit 1st on a
couple hills, and 14, coming home...)

So here were the differences:

1. NOT MUCH!!

2. My 'average' speed over the 17 miles was just slightly under the
typical.

3. Not much difference in either my leg-tiredness, nor in my
heart/breathing/etc.

4. I felt like I could've gotten just a slight cramp in my right calf.
Something I don't usually feel. (Didn't cramp at all, just had a bit of
a feeling there.)

5. I went out a bit later than usual, 7:30-8:30, as opposed to my usual
6:30-7:30. That being said, I did feel like I was much more hot and
sweaty. I'm thinking that most if not all of that was due to the higher
temps.

so....

I'm trying to get my overall average speed up. Any
thoughts/suggestions/bashing???

TIA,

-Bob

Bill wrote:
> gds wrote:
>
>> Bill wrote:

>>> Say what?
>>> You have a rear gear that goes 8,9,10,11,12 and what? I have never seen
>>> one below 11 and I don't think it cn be done on a standard hub.
>>> What are you talking about? What are your chain rings and what are your
>>> rear gears, really?
>>> Bill Baka

>> I'd guess he is refering to 8th gear, 9th gear, 10th gear etc like
>> numbering in an automobile. He certainly is not running an 8 cog. And
>> for sure is not spinning in a 10 cog.
>>

> If he can remember all 21,24,27 ratios then more power to him.
> I have a 3 ring front and a 7 gear rear and even with that there are
> gear splits I wish were smaller. I ran them in an Excel spreadsheet and
> found that some gear combos were only about 2% and others jumped you by
> 10% or more.

Yes, it's common for there to be larger % jumps from one low gear to
another, and shorter jumps between higher gears.

> Now if only some genius could figure out how to put in one
> of those 7 or 9 speed super high tech rear hubs some people might be in
> gear head heaven.
> Bill Baka

You mean like this? - http://www.sheldonbrown.org/otb.html
63 Gears!

Hell and High Water wrote:

>>Hell and High Water wrote:

>>>I've got an old Bianchi with two up front and seven in the back.

> Say what?
> You have a rear gear that goes 8,9,10,11,12 and what? I have never seen
> one below 11 and I don't think it cn be done on a standard hub.
> What are you talking about? What are your chain rings and what are your
> rear gears, really?
> Bill Baka
>

> I have two sprockets in the front, and seven sprockets in the back for a
> total of 14 'gears'....
>

> I'm not saying this correctly, I guess. Forgive my un-familiarity with
> the termenology.
>
> When the chain is on the smaller of the two front sprockets, I'm
> assuming that the rear seven sprockets are the following 'gears':
> 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7...
>
> When the chain is on the larger of the two front sprockets, I'm assuming
> that the rear seven sprockets are then the following 'gears':
>
> 8,9,10,11,12,13, and 14...
>

> Am I correct?

You likely have some overlap so that "8" may actually be smaller than
"7". It's that issue that makes the gear numbering system tricky.
Also, not all bikes have as many useful gears as are theoretically
possible. There's usually some overlap and some people don't like to
use the "forbidden" gears of having the big chainwheel with the big rear
cog, and the small chainwheel with the smallest cog because the chain
angle is so extreme.

It's generally more useful to speak in terms of gear combos. Say you
have two chainwheels on the front: One with 52 teeth and the other with
38. On the back you have cassette cogs with 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22, and
28 teeth. You could then say "52/14" gear, and everyone will know
what you're talking about. Not everyone knows how many teeth their
chainwheels and cassette sprockets have, though, but it's usually
stamped on the individual sprockets somewhere.

gds wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>>Hell and High Water wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks SB!!
>>>

>>>I've got an old Bianchi with two up front and seven in the back.
>>>
>>>Normally, when I'm out riding I find myself in @ 10-13. (generally)
>>>Today, after reading the suggestions of 'Shifty' Brown, I decided to
>>>spin....
>>>
>>>I tried to keep the resistance down significantly more than I normally
>>>do. I (basically) shifted 'earlier'. Normally I'd crank it out longer
>>>in 13, before I bail and shift to 12/11/10...
>>>

>>>So at the end of the ride, I thought about it, and realized that I was
>>>generally in 8-11 for the majority of the time. (I did hit 1st on a
>>>couple hills, and 14, coming home...)
>>>

>>>So here were the differences:
>>>
>>>1. NOT MUCH!!
>>>
>>>2. My 'average' speed over the 17 miles was just slightly under the
>>>typical.
>>>
>>>3. Not much difference in either my leg-tiredness, nor in my
>>>heart/breathing/etc.
>>>
>>>4. I felt like I could've gotten just a slight cramp in my right calf.
>>>Something I don't usually feel. (Didn't cramp at all, just had a bit of
>>>a feeling there.)
>>>
>>>5. I went out a bit later than usual, 7:30-8:30, as opposed to my usual
>>>6:30-7:30. That being said, I did feel like I was much more hot and
>>>sweaty. I'm thinking that most if not all of that was due to the higher
>>>temps.
>>>

>>>so....
>>>
>>>I'm trying to get my overall average speed up. Any
>>>thoughts/suggestions/bashing???
>>>

>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>-Bob

>>Say what?
>>You have a rear gear that goes 8,9,10,11,12 and what? I have never seen
>>one below 11 and I don't think it cn be done on a standard hub.
>>What are you talking about? What are your chain rings and what are your
>>rear gears, really?
>>Bill Baka

> I'd guess he is refering to 8th gear, 9th gear, 10th gear etc like
> numbering in an automobile. He certainly is not running an 8 cog. And
> for sure is not spinning in a 10 cog.

If he can remember all 21,24,27 ratios then more power to him.
I have a 3 ring front and a 7 gear rear and even with that there are
gear splits I wish were smaller. I ran them in an Excel spreadsheet and
found that some gear combos were only about 2% and others jumped you by
10% or more. Now if only some genius could figure out how to put in one
of those 7 or 9 speed super high tech rear hubs some people might be in
gear head heaven.
Bill Baka

> Hell and High Water wrote:

> > I've got an old Bianchi with two up front and seven in the back.

Say what?
You have a rear gear that goes 8,9,10,11,12 and what? I have never seen
one below 11 and I don't think it cn be done on a standard hub.
What are you talking about? What are your chain rings and what are your
rear gears, really?
Bill Baka

I have two sprockets in the front, and seven sprockets in the back for a
total of 14 'gears'....

I'm not saying this correctly, I guess. Forgive my un-familiarity with
the termenology.

When the chain is on the smaller of the two front sprockets, I'm
assuming that the rear seven sprockets are the following 'gears':
1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7...

When the chain is on the larger of the two front sprockets, I'm assuming
that the rear seven sprockets are then the following 'gears':

8,9,10,11,12,13, and 14...

Am I correct?

-Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I have two sprockets in the front, and seven sprockets in the back for a
> total of 14 'gears'....

....or should I refer to them as 'speeds'??

smaller of the front two sprockets, largest of the seven rear sprockets
would be 1st 'speed'??

Again, thanks for any help with the terminology.

-Bob

says...

> You likely have some overlap so that "8" may actually be smaller than
> "7". It's that issue that makes the gear numbering system tricky.
> Also, not all bikes have as many useful gears as are theoretically
> possible. There's usually some overlap and some people don't like to
> use the "forbidden" gears of having the big chainwheel with the big rear
> cog, and the small chainwheel with the smallest cog because the chain
> angle is so extreme.

Yes, definitely! I'm never in (for example) the smaller 'chainwheel' in
the front, and the smallest 'cog' in the back....

And I agree, there is lots of overlap.

I tend to stick with the front chainwheel, then move the rear cogs from
about the third to the fifth. Once I'm there, I go ahead and move the
front chainwheel, and again, utilize the 'center' of the rear cog
grouping.

Thanks for the clarification...

-Bob

All confusion with the gears aside, I would expect that if you start
using easier gears and spinning faster, you'll find your overall speed
will stay about the same, but after 1-2 hours of riding your legs
should feel a bit fresher. As a rule of thumb, you can think of it as
using your heart vs. using your muscles. At a low cadence, your legs
do more work; at a higher cadence, your heart does more work. It's not
quite as simple as that, but you get the idea.

Just for reference, experienced road cyclists normally maintain a
cadence of around 90-100 rpm on flat roads. On hills it's a more
personal choice - I like to downshift to maintain at least 80-90 rpm
unless the road's steep enough that I can't maintain my cadence even in
my lowest gear. (That's when I start cursing and whimpering.) :)

-JR

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> All confusion with the gears aside, I would expect that if you start
> using easier gears and spinning faster, you'll find your overall speed
> will stay about the same, but after 1-2 hours of riding your legs
> should feel a bit fresher. As a rule of thumb, you can think of it as
> using your heart vs. using your muscles. At a low cadence, your legs
> do more work; at a higher cadence, your heart does more work. It's not
> quite as simple as that, but you get the idea.
>
> Just for reference, experienced road cyclists normally maintain a
> cadence of around 90-100 rpm on flat roads. On hills it's a more
> personal choice - I like to downshift to maintain at least 80-90 rpm
> unless the road's steep enough that I can't maintain my cadence even in
> my lowest gear. (That's when I start cursing and whimpering.) :)
>

> -JR

THANKS!!!

-Bob

Hell and High Water wrote:
> Thanks SB!!
>

> I've got an old Bianchi with two up front and seven in the back.
>
> Normally, when I'm out riding I find myself in @ 10-13. (generally)
> Today, after reading the suggestions of 'Shifty' Brown, I decided to
> spin....
>
> I tried to keep the resistance down significantly more than I normally
> do. I (basically) shifted 'earlier'. Normally I'd crank it out longer
> in 13, before I bail and shift to 12/11/10...
>

> So at the end of the ride, I thought about it, and realized that I was
> generally in 8-11 for the majority of the time. (I did hit 1st on a
> couple hills, and 14, coming home...)

I've counted my gears in much the same way you do since I was a kid. I
realize it isn't very technical, but it is much easier to remember what
gear you're in rather than having to count sprocket teeth. :)
Before I started focusing on cadence, spinning, whatever you wanna call
it, I would spend most of my time in 9th (I have 2 on front, 5 on rear
and we used to call that a 10 speed when I was a kid) but I could only
push it for so long. Then I decided to choose some speeds to run each
gear at. It seemed comfortable to run 6th gear up to 12mph, 7th to
15mph, 8th to 18mph, 9th up to 22mph, and for the short times I could
get above that I'd shift up to 10th. Over time focusing on increasing
my cadence I now spend the majority of my time in 7th at around 20mph.
I'm sure you'll find yourself in far lower gears than you ever thought
possible - and before you know it.

> So here were the differences:
>
> 1. NOT MUCH!!
>
> 2. My 'average' speed over the 17 miles was just slightly under the
> typical.
>
> 3. Not much difference in either my leg-tiredness, nor in my
> heart/breathing/etc.

You'll find your legs being far less tired using this method eventually.

> 4. I felt like I could've gotten just a slight cramp in my right calf.
> Something I don't usually feel. (Didn't cramp at all, just had a bit of
> a feeling there.)

If it continues you might want to re-evaluate your position on the bike.
That's something I never concerned myself with until I started
spinning faster. As it turned out, my seat was too low. Also, make
sure you keep your knees in. Some people tend to point their knees away
from the bike and this can cause all sorts of unwanted pains that don't
show themselves with low gears.

> 5. I went out a bit later than usual, 7:30-8:30, as opposed to my usual
> 6:30-7:30. That being said, I did feel like I was much more hot and
> sweaty. I'm thinking that most if not all of that was due to the higher
> temps.
>

> so....
>
> I'm trying to get my overall average speed up. Any
> thoughts/suggestions/bashing???

I've increased my overall speed by at least 3mph this summer just from
focusing on improving my cadence and I feel like I'm doing less work so
my thought is you're on the right track - just keep at it. Sometimes
I'll go up to around 130rpm although I can't hold that for very long but
it sure makes 115rpm (which I can hold now) seem easy. :) Just make
sure you don't let your hips rock but spin as fast as you can while
keeping the hips straight.
HTH,
Brian

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:54:22 -0500, Bill Henry <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You mean like this? - http://www.sheldonbrown.org/otb.html
>63 Gears!

Someone on the other newsgroup recently asked if you could put a Rohloff
14 hub together with a 10 speed rear cluster together with a Mountain
Tamer Quad Plus[1]-ised quint crank -- 700 gears. You'd have to build a
custom frame for it, and a custom adapter for the Rohloff to the shimano
freehub body, but it should be doable.

Jasper

[1] The mountain tamer quad plus is an adapter with 74 mm bolt circle that
has room for two splined freewheel cogs on it, and you can screw it either
on replacing the granny or in addition to the granny.

Bill wrote:

> Bill Baka

It must be close to story time.... Bill's back.

Bill Henry wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> gds wrote:

>>> I'd guess he is refering to 8th gear, 9th gear, 10th gear etc like
>>> numbering in an automobile. He certainly is not running an 8 cog. And
>>> for sure is not spinning in a 10 cog.
>>>

>> If he can remember all 21,24,27 ratios then more power to him.
>> I have a 3 ring front and a 7 gear rear and even with that there are
>> gear splits I wish were smaller. I ran them in an Excel spreadsheet
>> and found that some gear combos were only about 2% and others jumped
>> you by 10% or more.

> Yes, it's common for there to be larger % jumps from one low gear to
> another, and shorter jumps between higher gears.
>
>> Now if only some genius could figure out how to put in one of those 7
>> or 9 speed super high tech rear hubs some people might be in gear head
>> heaven.
>> Bill Baka

> You mean like this? - http://www.sheldonbrown.org/otb.html
> 63 Gears!

I should have guessed that somebody would do it and it would be him. Now
I wonder if the Japanese or anyone else has 6 or 7 (or more) speed hubs.
7 times 21 would be 147 which should be good for bragging rights until
Sheldon found out and found a way to get more speeds. He did pick a good
hub though since I have never heard of a Sturmey-Archer hub breaking.
Wearing out the brakes is possible but the kids I knew always skidded to
a stop. I didn't see anything about back pedaling unless that is covered
by the 'free wheel' part of the setup.
Good looking job, so cheers for Sheldon.
Bill Baka

Rich wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Bill Baka

> It must be close to story time.... Bill's back.

Not really. I just looked at Sheldons' 63 speed bike and someone
mentioned a way to build a 700 speed with a 'quint' front end and a
multi gear hub. Even if one of your derailluers broke you would still
have plenty to 'limp' home on. No stories for this summer since it has
been over 100 most of the summer and I have been helping friends build
up Franken-computers. Gained 30 pounds due to one friends habit of
taking me to a Chinese all you can eat buffet and not riding enough.
This week I will be riding seriously again, but no fancy stuff.
I did find out that I can fill my backpack with flattened beer cans
every time I ride in the direction of Beale AFB. On the way out they
toss Red Bull cans. I make about $3.00 a day from being a good citizen
and picking up the cans but never get any speed built up. It pays for
bike parts since I keep that money in a 'bike money' jar. That and I
have an outrageous collection of round magnets from microwaves I have
found by the roadside and used my tools to get the magnetron out. Now my
grandson has a magnet/science project thing going, thanks to me. He
managed to get it too close to his mothers' television and messed up the
colors by magnetizing it. Is that enough of a story?
Bill

In article <[email protected]>,
Hell and High Water <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm trying to get my overall average speed up. Any
> thoughts/suggestions/bashing???

This old thread might be of interest to you:

http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.b...ash+fast-twitch&rnum=1&hl=en#a790b2df35e4e436

http://tinyurl.com/9jh5k

I homed-in on this particular post because in it Jon Isaacs discusses
the difference between fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscles.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Incidentally (and this is not in any way a criticism), has anyone
noticed that their knees hurt when "spinning" but not when "pushing"?
It seems a bit counterintuitive for me, but that's the way my knee
reacts for some reason.

LM