Today I went 'Spinning', as opposed to 'Pushing'

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Incidentally (and this is not in any way a criticism), has anyone
> noticed that their knees hurt when "spinning" but not when "pushing"?
> It seems a bit counterintuitive for me, but that's the way my knee
> reacts for some reason.
>
> LM

No, your knee shouldn't hurt when spinning. Are you using clipless pedals?
If so, is the cleat correctly positioned on sole of shoe?

Cheers, helen s

[email protected] wrote:

> Incidentally (and this is not in any way a criticism), has anyone
> noticed that their knees hurt when "spinning" but not when "pushing"?
> It seems a bit counterintuitive for me, but that's the way my knee
> reacts for some reason.

I notice the exact opposite; i.e, trying to turn big gears while I'm in
the saddle makes my knees ache.

--
Chris BeHanna
'03 Specialized Allez Elite 27

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:48:18 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>I should have guessed that somebody would do it and it would be him. Now
>I wonder if the Japanese or anyone else has 6 or 7 (or more) speed hubs.

Shimano Nexus hubs are currently at 7 and 8, and the 8s Sturmey is coming
soon. There used to be a Sachs 12 speed that was crappy. The Rohloff 14,
at the price of nearly as much as most bikes ($1000 or thereabouts), is
the Best Gearhub Ever, bombproof and designed for mountainbike stresses.

>7 times 21 would be 147 which should be good for bragging rights until
>Sheldon found out and found a way to get more speeds. He did pick a good
>hub though since I have never heard of a Sturmey-Archer hub breaking.
>Wearing out the brakes is possible but the kids I knew always skidded to
>a stop. I didn't see anything about back pedaling unless that is covered
>by the 'free wheel' part of the setup.

The old coaster brake Sturmeys (AWC) are actually crappy hubs and
dangerous. The common Sturmey, the AW, is only a threespeed, no brake. The
commonest in my country is the AB, three speeds and a drum brake. Neither
of those have a problem with backpedaling.

Before the 1930s, SA hubs had threaded drivers instead of splined, for
what is now known as track cogs, and since that is the same thread as
modern freewheels, on those hubs you can just screw on a freewheel (which
is what Sheldon did top prove his point).

In more recent times, there was the Sachs 3x7, a 3 speed gearhub with a 7
speed cassette intended to be used with a single front ring, mostly for
special bikes like recumbents or folders. Currently, the SRAM 3x9 is
available, which is what it sounds like. Combine that one with a triple,
quad, or quint crankset and you're already up to 81, 108, or 135 gears, in
pretty much off-the-shelf technology.

Jasper

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:25:31 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

> He
>managed to get it too close to his mothers' television and messed up the
>colors by magnetizing it. Is that enough of a story?

Turn the set on and off a few times, with intervals of about 20-30
minutes. On TVs, the degauss coil comes on with every turn-on, except when
it hasn't been long enough and it'd overheat.

If that doesn't work, manual degaussing may be in order.

If that also doesn't work, the shadow mask may have been torn loose inside
the tube, which means time for a new tube and/or a new tv.

Jasper