What happened to BentRiderOnline?

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> and
> > if
> > > someone cannot go from Windows to it they are hopeless

> > I have tried different email programs. They are all similar, yet have

> enough
> > differences so that you have to apply yourself to learn those

differences.
> > went from Outlook Express to Eudora, but I gave up on Eudora as there

were
> > just too many new things to learn about it.

> This from a "genius"? amazing

The thing about a genius like me is that we carefully choose what it is that
we want to learn and vice versa. But I do not believe I need take any
criticism from a fool like you who does not know enough to put periods at
the end of sentences.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720041643421235%[email protected]...
> >
> > OSX is idiot proof but i don't know if its ed proof.
> > Windows requires port configuration, and a vigilant attitude when on
> > the web. A virus program should be installed as well, in my opinion its
> > a prerequisite. I don't have the time for that ****. I want to trust my
> > computer.

> Nothing is idiot proof, our friend Ed is proof of that

And Mark proves himself a fool and an idiot every time he omits a period at
the end of his sentences!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

In article <en_Kc.136513$XM6.59462@attbi_s53>, Mark Leuck
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720041608203926%[email protected]...
> > In article <saIKc.117664$IQ4.50374@attbi_s02>, Mark Leuck
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:180720042037201523%[email protected]...

> > > One could say Apple does the same thing, in the case of the mac they got
> > > much of the technology from Xerox, even the Ipod was somewhat based on
> > > existing MP3 players, they do have a great design but also got exclusive

> use
> > > of new and smaller hard drives which other companies couldn't get when

> they
> > > created the first hard drive based players

> > Apple innovated this field..i never said they started it.
> > Apple never stole the Xerox stuff. They paid for it.

> I never said Apple stole it and you are correct they made it popular
> although in my opinion much of what Apple does is popular almost as a fad
> instead of a great product, the original Imac comes to mind

The original imac was a great product.
An esthetic all in one unit for cheap. Perfect for kids and families to
explore the mac OS on a friendly computer. Perfect for schools to have
in mac labs. That computer single handedly took Apple out of the
crapper. And i think the current emac sells very well too.

> > > Wanna know WHY Apples only offers dual processor models? Because IBM

> can't
> > > produce anything as fast as what Intel and AMD currently put out (yet).

> The
> > > only way Apple can even come close speedwise is with the dualies, note

> they
> > > are also all water cooled because it is almost a requirement with the G5

> but
> > > isn't with AMD (note Intel now is running into heat problems on the new
> > > Northgate processors)

> > Actually thats not true.
> > The single 1.8ghz is comparable to the single pentiums and AMD's.
> > My point was that you get 2 CPU's for the price of one of Dell's single
> > CPU.

> And again that is the ONLY way Apple can currently compete, had the PowerPC
> processor been faster Apple wouldn't need to go to a dual processor

No Mark, i am saying a single G5 1.8ghz can compete with any AMD or
Pentium. If not that chip then a single 2.5ghz can.

> > Two CPU's don't make the mac twice as fast but it helps with apps that
> > have SMP specific code. Heavy rendering apps specifically, which is
> > where speed really counts. Also it shines in multitasking.

> Yes it does and I too would love to have dual AMD Opteron processors instead
> of these old 2000+'s :)

I'd like a pair of G5's cooling by the liquid :cD

> > Only the 2.5 dually is liquid cooled. (thermally conductive fluid)
> > Many PC's have that feature.

> By choice tho not by design, a stock out of the box AMD or Intel chip
> doesn't require liquid cooling although AMD's previous chips and Intel's
> current ones almost do

> > Cooling is always going to be an issue
> > with computing as processors are made faster/hotter. So no they are
> > not all liquid cooled..i wish they were though because they would all
> > run a bit faster. You make it sound like thats a bad feature! Its an
> > advantage.

> Considering the lower performance that the PowerPC chips give it is, when
> IBM can start designing the chips to run cooler like AMD has then liquid
> coolant will be a optional bonus

Sorry but the IBM chips are bad ass. And cooling is always a bonus on
any chip.

> > > Apple has in the past made outlandish claims as far as performance that

> has
> > > never been backed up and refuted many times dating back to the original
> > > imac, while the G4 and 5 are good processors they aren't nearly as

> powerful
> > > as Intel or AMD. (remember last years "fastest desktop made?" campaign?

> It
> > > was bogus when actual independent tests were done

> > I agree whole heartedly that apple overstated the G5 but the CPU is
> > comparable and competitive to any Pentium/AMD on the market, single CPU
> > 32 bit or 64 bit.

> depends on how you define comparable, yes it will run the code and who knows
> if the differences in performance are noticable but if both machines cost
> the same I'd think I'd rather have the faster one especially when the
> current faster one runs far more software

Again i say the single CPU is just as fast but i note that a duel
1.8ghz G5 is cheaper than a single intel chip 3.4 bad boy from Dell.
So i say again the price/performance is better with the mac.
And so does Virginia Tech.
http://www.computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/
Quite an endeavor to build a supercomputer with fullsized G5 desktops.
Only 2200 CPU's. 1100 dualies. Sahweet. They are now upgrading to
Xserves.

> > > Here's a few benchmarks from a quick Google search
> > >

> http://www.alienware.com/review_pages/review_template.aspx?FileName=review_mac
> > > world_1203.asp
> > >
> > > http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/desktops/0,39023846,39117451,00.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp
> > >
> > > Look em up all you want, the result is the same, while it is a step up

> for
> > > Apple it still doesn't beat a high end PC
> > >

> > Sure from PCworld and PC manufacturers.
> > zdnet is also anti mac.
> > http://www.barefeats.com will give you some mac specific benchmarks
> > against the PC. Yes its a mac info site. No the mac doesn't win in all
> > tests. Yes they are configured fairly.

I don't think we need to go back to the specs again, but i will just
this once. ;)
They are close. Even the single CPU configurations as you can see in
the link i sent.
http://www.barefeats.com

> Actually the first one is a repost from MacWorld, feel free to raise the
> anti-mac bias but I seriously doubt it's there and again that was a very
> small sample that I pulled up from Google, many many more exist

For both sides of the tape :)

> > > Yes if you went Intel, if you went AMD it would be much cheaper and far

> more
> > > powerful. And Dell doesn't deal with dual processors for regular

> customers
> > > however we have quite a few dual and quad Dells at work

> > Bet they cost an arm and a leg too.

> True and so does the servers Apple makes, thats a different market. Heck one
> of my servers is a Dell single Intel 1 gig with IDE drives and 512 megs,
> damn thing is like $2500 :)

Yup, and i am saying the mac desktop is cheap enough and compares to a
Dell server system. Refer again to VT.

> I could build my own dual Opteron for far less than either Apple or Dell

Thats sweet. I have never built my own computer but i have added some
parts and removed some dead parts.
No sweat.

> > > Don't need to, the vast majority use USB :)

> > I guess you don't own a DV cam then?

> Nope but that is one of the few devices that require FireWire, on the other
> hand I have a Sony camera, 3 external hard drives, 2 memory drives, a mouse
> and memory reader that do USB.
>
> I'll bet you more people have the same devices I have than yours :)

Well i'm not trying to have a pissing contest about firewire but you
seem to think apple shot itself in the foot so i'll defend it.
FW has very good uses. High bandwidth applications like HD's and video
camera's and even some pro cameras use FW exclusively. Some Fw800 HD's
are also available. My iPod is FW, i can install an OS on it and boot
from it. I don't think you can boot with USB.

> > > Apple shot themselves in the foot with firewire, one of the reasons USB
> > > became so popular even when it wasn't as good was because of the high
> > > royalty price Apple wanted for it, motherboard makers chose USB instead

> > On the contrary,
> > Every PC/DV owner that didn't get a FW card in their PC has to go and
> > buy one. Apple didn't shoot themselves in the foot.

Firewire is an IEEE standard.
Its free to use in a product. I think you have to pay for the name
though. Or call it something like iLink or 1394e or whatever the hell.

> Yes they did, part of the reason USB is more dominant is because of its
> early inclusion onto motherboards which is where much of the royalties come
> from, when you have a dog-eat-dog environment like motherboard
> manufacturing, a slightly higher royalty price means that option won't make
> it onto the board which is what happened for a long time with FireWire,
> instead they chose USB
>
> > They won a freaking oscar for the FW port.

> Wooo, I'm trying to think of several lousy movies that also won oscars (not
> meant that as a comparison to firewire). FireWire is good but the fact is it
> isn't nearly as popular as USB for very good reasons unrelated to the actual
> hardware

I don't think anybody shot anybody in the toe over USB. I have no
problem with it at all.

> Its the same argument between SCSI and IDE, SCSI has more bandwith but is
> also more expensive which is why most PC's are IDE
>
> > All DV cam companies
> > support FW as a standard. Forget the motherboard, its the peripheral
> > companies that drive port adoption.

> Not true, if you look at the OEM world you will find the vast majority of
> computer customers never open the box, at this time the big move in the PC
> world is for PCI-Express which will get rid of the AGP graphics port, this
> is being driven by Intel and AMD and not peripheral companies, they tend to
> only change when they have to

DV cams based on their need for higher bandwidth chose firewire. This
had nothing to do with mobos. The FW PCI card is there or you can buy a
computer with one on board. There was a need and firewire fit quite
nicely. Kudos to Apple for developing such a great product for the
video industry.

> > You will not find USB on any
> > HDDVcams as it won't be able to handle the bandwidth that HDDV will
> > require. Thanks to Apple, FW800 is available to those who want to edit
> > high def. digital video straight off the camera.
> > Apple wins over hollywood.

> Actually Linux wins over hollywood especially when it comes to animation

Yes linux works best for animation. But Pixar, the best digital
animation company in the business recently switched over to G5's for
their workflow. Linux boxes were in Pixar long before Apples were, so
one can not claim that Steve had anything to do with it. Yeah you know
the Steve i speak of. :)
The G4 just wasn't up to the task.

> > I'm not saying there is no use for USB but it loses in the
> > highbandwidth products.

> Depends on the product, I also have a hard drive that does both USB and
> Firewire, I saw no real difference I could see in performance myself and
> other benchmarks also bear that out, while Firewire is faster its not enough
> to notice, note this doesn't include the new Firewire 800 standard.

In article <[email protected]>, Edward Dolan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720041643421235%[email protected]...
> [...]
> > OSX is idiot proof but i don't know if its ed [Ed] proof.
> > Windows requires port configuration, and a vigilant attitude when on
> > the web. A virus program should be installed as well, in my opinion its
> > a prerequisite. I don't have the time for that ****. I want to trust my
> > computer.

> Slugger, what is so awful about having an anti-virus program loaded onto
> your computer's hard drive. The one I have got (WindCleaner QuickHeal) even
> uploads daily automatically. I think it is costing me about $12. per year. I
> think their offices are located in India, but when I had a problem recently
> they were very good about getting it corrected for me. I do not know anyone
> who has a PC who does not also have an anti-virus program. There are even
> free ones available which enjoy a very good reputation (AVG).

So not only do you openly accept the burden of running windows but you
pay for it on a yearly bill. Good stuff. The hidden costs add up. This
is something you would not pay for on a mac. As well as countless
rebuilds from viruses and lost data. My music is important to me too. I
would not trust it or any web dev work to a 'doze box. Nor any of my
photography. My data is worth more than the cost of a mac.

Slugger

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

years
> > ago?

> that
> > if
> > >
> > > What brands of recumbent bicycles does Wal-Mart sell?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Sherman - Quad City Area

> > Apparently 12 different models that have lousy trail

> My God! Only one very simple sentence and this idiot can't mange to put a
> period at the end of it!
>
> Those 12 very beautiful bikes that Wal-Mart sells for practically nothing
> ( a true miracle of capitalism) are the kind of bikes that others in the
> world would either die for or kill for.

That is true only because of economics and not quality of bike, Wal-Mart
sells the very lowest end which is fine for some but not others.

> The trail on an upright bike can
> vary by several degrees and still be perfectly rideable and it will handle
> like a dream. If only we could say as much for most recumbents where the
> trail is all over the place and most of them handle more like a nightmare
> than a dream.

Yet you still can't tell anyone what a good trail would be, how odd

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > While I disagree with some parts of what Slugger is saying I'd bet he

> knows
> > quite a lot more than you on subjects unrelated to computers, like
> > recumbents for example [.]

> You and Slugger are both a couple of ignorant computer nerds. What you

know
> and what you think you know are worlds apart. But I have never yet known a
> computer nerd who didn't think he was the cat's pajamas.

Funny I've never seen cat pajamas

> Apparently, when
> you get your computers you must also have to check in the brains you were
> born with. By the way, do either of you two jerks perhaps have a Ph.D. in
> Computer Science? Maybe at least a Master's degree (and not from an online
> university either)?

Nope, everything I learned about computers was by putting them together

> If and when the two of you are ever able to write English as it was given

> us by our forefathers, then maybe I will grant you the boon of being at
> least human and not some kind of an accessory to a computer. But as for
> being educated, I would say you have your life's work cut out for you and
> the g.d. computer is not going to help you in the least in that regard.

Too
> bad you two freaks missed the boat of civilization.

On the contrary my computer skills have helped me quite a bit in regards to
education

> In another era these two morons would have spent all their free time

arguing
> about batting averages of baseball players and other sport trivialities.

That too me never made any sense either but I don't care for many sports

> And
> all the time they would be doing this they would regard themselves as the
> smartest people in the world. God, I would love to be that dumb and

stupid.
> I have often thought that the dumb and the stupid are the happiest people

in
> the world. Maybe ignorance really is bliss?

You must be really REALLY happy then

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720041620599461%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Edward Dolan
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:180720042037201523%[email protected]...
> > > [...]

> equivalent.

> > > The moral of this little story is never, never get into a discussion

> with a
> > > Mac user. They are fanatics about their computers.

> > Yup i whole heartedly admit that i like macs alot.
> > How many PC users say " i Looooooooooooove windows sooooo much!!!!"
> > none.
> > Why? because windows betrays you too many times.

> I don't love a piece of machinery like you do because I am not an idiot like
> you are.

Never said i loved my computer, its not without its faults.
But when compared to 'Doze

> > > But Slugger misses my point entirely in that I do not give a hoot about

> top
> > > of the line computers. I only care about bottom of the line computers.

> So
> > > far, no one beats Wal-Mart with their E-Machines loaded with Linux for

> less
> > > than $500. and that includes a monitor and I believe a printer too. My

> own
> > > set up was a Wal-Mart special HP for $700. which I got a couple of years
> > > ago. Slugger is in the stratosphere. I, as is my want, have both feet
> > > planted squarely on planet earth.

> > Slugger didn't miss that point because you never made it until now ed.
> > But whatever makes you feel better about yourself. Capital letters 'n
> > such.

> And why the hell do you think I was discussing $500. E-Machines for sale at
> Wal-Mart if I am not strictly low end? And just why the hell don't you
> capitalize words that should be capitalized? I am fed up with reading your
> ****-posts! Get it right or get lost!

woops my bad, i missed that part.
i don't capitalize to annoy you. my english is fine you need not
concern yourself with how i post. i am not working so i am not
capitalizing if i don't ****ing feel like it ya nazi. go iron your shoe
laces. or sort your socks. you can alphabetize them ya literal ****er!
Left comes before Right....

> > > By the way, it is not that I am incapable of learning anything new, it

> is
> > > just that I prefer not to - since the world is full of **** and I do not

> see
> > > any reason why I should have to stay abreast of every piece of new ****

> that
> > > comes down the pike. This is the sort of wisdom that only comes with

> age.
> >
> > Why then, do you waste your time with 'doze?
> > Face it ed, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
> > Funny thing is, your an old dog and the mac has been around for a hella
> > long time but your so ****ing close minded you have never given it a
> > chance.
> > Your a waste of time dude.

> I have only recently gotten into computers so it is irrelevant to me how
> long Mac has been around - or you either for that matter.
>
> As to wasting your time, why not put it to good use and learn how to read
> and write better. I suggest a class at your local community college if they
> will let you in. The Freshman course in English Composition would do you a
> world of good. What good does it do to know something about computers but
> otherwise be an illiterate dumbbell? I mean, people will think you are a
> ****ing moron if you can't compose simple sentences correctly without making
> a fool of yourself.

i'm fine with how i write on usenet ..i just don't care about usenet
because of ****ers like you..not worth my time/effort to move my finger
to the shift key. plus it gets you all pissy. And thats fun.

Slugger

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >

> > "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:z%[email protected]...
> > > I'm just glad all you guys out there are spending 2K or more for the

> state
> > > of the art, so a few years later I can buy it for $400.

> > Ain't that the truth :)
> >
> > > When we get Linux up to speed that will drop the price down even more.

> > God don't get me started on a Windows vs Linux debate

> Mark Leuck, the man of the missing periods, does not want to discuss

Windows
> vs Linux because he knows I will be here kibitzing him every inch of the
> way. How much fun can that be for him? He could be rid of me if he would
> just put periods at the end of his sentences, but absent that I will

plague
> him from now until Kingdom come!

I assume that the genius Ed Dolan can tell me all about Linux even though he
stumbles on a Mac

Wierd

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > This from a "genius"? amazing

> The thing about a genius like me is that we carefully choose what it is

that
> we want to learn and vice versa. But I do not believe I need take any
> criticism from a fool like you who does not know enough to put periods at
> the end of sentences.

Yes but we've yet to see just what you've carefully chosen to be a genius at

"Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190720042232246594%[email protected]...
[...]
> > > Ed don't know his ass from a muffler.

> > I have to agree with you on this one (no shudder either)
> >
> > :)
> >

> I have a hard time agreeing with ed [Ed] on anything.
> I am new to the recumbent scene and ed [Ed] has lots of useful knoweledge
> about bents intersperced with BS political tripe. Its kind of funny and
> annoying so i spar with him. right ed [Ed] ?
> Slugger

I think I should get some kind of contingency fee for bringing you two nuts
together. As I read your posts to one another my mind fogs over and I am
extremely grateful that I will be leaving this world one of these days soon
and I will never have to learn any of that **** that you and Mark so dearly
love to talk about. But you both need a good editor who would forbid any
abbreviations, slang and jargon and all the other shortcuts that the two of
you take. But Hells Bells! The both of you seem to understand one another
and I suppose that is all that counts. But let me out of this mad house! All
this computer jargon scrambles my brain.

What bothers me the most about Slugger's post is that he manages to
capitalize his own name but not mine. Why is that, I wonder?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190720042242463913%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Edward Dolan
>
> So not only do you openly accept the burden of running windows but you
> pay for it on a yearly bill. Good stuff. The hidden costs add up. This
> is something you would not pay for on a mac. As well as countless
> rebuilds from viruses and lost data. My music is important to me too. I
> would not trust it or any web dev work to a 'doze box. Nor any of my
> photography. My data is worth more than the cost of a mac.
>
> Slugger

I wouldn't trust that to any box regardless of the manufacturer which is why
I have a DVD burner :)

BTW: Including a DVD burner is one very good thing Apple did

"Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190720042242463913%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Edward Dolan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:190720041643421235%[email protected]...
> > [...]
> > > OSX is idiot proof but i don't know if its ed [Ed] proof.
> > > Windows requires port configuration, and a vigilant attitude when on
> > > the web. A virus program should be installed as well, in my opinion

its
> > > a prerequisite. I don't have the time for that ****. I want to trust

my
> > > computer.

> > Slugger, what is so awful about having an anti-virus program loaded onto
> > your computer's hard drive. The one I have got (WindCleaner QuickHeal)

even
> > uploads daily automatically. I think it is costing me about $12. per

year. I
> > think their offices are located in India, but when I had a problem

recently
> > they were very good about getting it corrected for me. I do not know

anyone
> > who has a PC who does not also have an anti-virus program. There are

even
> > free ones available which enjoy a very good reputation (AVG).

> So not only do you openly accept the burden of running windows but you
> pay for it on a yearly bill. Good stuff. The hidden costs add up. This
> is something you would not pay for on a mac. As well as countless
> rebuilds from viruses and lost data. My music is important to me too. I
> would not trust it or any web dev work to a 'doze box. Nor any of my
> photography. My data is worth more than the cost of a mac.
>
> Slugger

But I bet you have what you value on your computer backed up to disc too,
just the same as I am going to do if and when I ever get around to it. I
have over 40 GB of music on my hard drive and if I lost it I would have to
kill myself. There is no other possible solution. So I have to get it backed
up to disc.

Mark said if I had a DVD burner it would only take about 10 discs, but I
know it is going to take at least 50 discs with my regular CD burner - and
it is going to take me all day to do it too. How do I get myself into these
revolting situations!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190720042300448610%[email protected]...
[...]
> i don't capitalize to annoy you. my english is fine you need not
> concern yourself with how i post. i am not working so i am not
> capitalizing if i don't ****ing feel like it ya nazi. go iron your shoe
> laces. or sort your socks. you can alphabetize them ya literal ****er!
> Left comes before Right....

You need to learn how to edit too so I don't have to keep plowing through
your whole ****ing mess of a post each and every time to get to the parts
that are current and of interest. I am only concerned with how you post
because I have to read the ****ing things. But I am not going to read them
any more with any discernment because your ignorance is just too profound
for me. Such depth of idiocy is rare even for ARBR, which is well known for
being a haven for idiots like you.
[...]

> i'm fine with how i write on usenet ..i just don't care about usenet
> because of ****ers like you..not worth my time/effort to move my finger
> to the shift key. plus it gets you all pissy. And thats fun.

Get lost Slugger, you ****ing idiot! No one here is reading you except that
other ****ing idiot Mark who also thinks he can write the English language
anyway he pleases. Did you not know that language is a shared thing and the
purpose of it is communication? Christ almighty, how the hell did you ever
get out of kindergarten?

If you do not like Usenet, then get the hell out of here and quit bothering
those us who do. I absolutely assure you of one thing - you will never be
missed (except by Mark who shows contempt for the group like you do every
time he posts). Your g.d. gibberish is too hard to read for anyone who has
his head screwed on straight. Why don't you just confine your
"communicating"
to your ****ing computer which is most likely the only thing that
understands you in this entire world. I mean write notes to yourself and see
if you can make heads or tails out of them. When you learn how to write,
come back and see us - in about 20 years!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Those 12 very beautiful bikes that Wal-Mart sells for practically

nothing
> > ( a true miracle of capitalism) are the kind of bikes that others in the
> > world would either die or kill for.

> That is true only because of economics and not quality of bike, Wal-Mart
> sells the very lowest end which is fine for some but not others.

Those Wal-Mart bikes are perfect for all young people who are not into
cycling as a sport.

> > The trail on an upright bike can
> > vary by several degrees and still be perfectly rideable and it will

handle
> > like a dream. If only we could say as much for most recumbents where the
> > trail is all over the place and most of them handle more like a

nightmare
> > than a dream.

> Yet you still can't tell anyone what a good trail would be, how odd

What is far odder to me is that you cannot manage to put a period at the end
of your sentences. Since you show contempt for the group by not using the
language properly, I am sure you won't mind if I show contempt for you by
not taking you seriously anymore.

Please note how I have edited your post. You could learn from me by
following my example if you didn't think you already knew everything.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >> >
> > > While I disagree with some parts of what Slugger is saying I'd bet he

> > knows
> > > quite a lot more than you on subjects unrelated to computers, like
> > > recumbents for example [.]

> > You and Slugger are both a couple of ignorant computer nerds. What you

> know
> > and what you think you know are worlds apart. But I have never yet known

> > computer nerd who didn't think he was the cat's pajamas.

> Funny I've never seen cat pajamas

And you have never read any literature either, so what would you know? Those
computer manuals that you and Slugger read are no substitute for literature.

> > Apparently, when
> > you get your computers you must also have to check in the brains you

were
> > born with. By the way, do either of you two jerks perhaps have a Ph.D.

in
> > Computer Science? Maybe at least a Master's degree (and not from an

online
> > university either)?

> Nope, everything I learned about computers was by putting them together

Then your knowldege is limited and you should should not pretend to be an
expert on the subject. That is the hallmark of all educated people - to know
the limits of their knowledge. An educated person is usually a very humble
person, because he knows what he does not know.

> > If and when the two of you are ever able to write English as it was

given
> > us by our forefathers, then maybe I will grant you the boon of being at
> > least human and not some kind of an accessory to a computer. But as for
> > being educated, I would say you have your life's work cut out for you

and
> > the g.d. computer is not going to help you in the least in that regard.

> Too
> > bad you two freaks missed the boat of civilization.

> On the contrary my computer skills have helped me quite a bit in regards

> education

Even so, it is no sustitue for a proper education which you can only get in
a liberal arts college in the space of 4 years.

> > In another era these two morons would have spent all their free time

> arguing
> > about batting averages of baseball players and other sport trivialities.

> That too me never made any sense either but I don't care for many sports
>
> > And
> > all the time they would be doing this they would regard themselves as

the
> > smartest people in the world. God, I would love to be that dumb and

> stupid.
> > I have often thought that the dumb and the stupid are the happiest

people
> in
> > the world. Maybe ignorance really is bliss?

> You must be really REALLY happy then

I knew you would pick up on those last lines of mine. I threw them in there
so that you could have a riposte to my ranting. I do believe in fair play
and I like to give the other guy a break.

Now what you need to do is give this group a full and complete explanation
and justification as to why you do not put periods on the end of your
sentences. It surely is nothing but an affectation on your part, but it
shows contempt for others who are reading your messages. The language is not
ours to do with as we please. It is a shared thing and we have to treat it
with the respect it deserves.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >

> > > "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:z%[email protected]...

> > state
> > >
> > > Ain't that the truth :)

more.

> > > God don't get me started on a Windows vs Linux debate

> > Mark Leuck, the man of the missing periods, does not want to discuss

> Windows
> > vs Linux because he knows I will be here kibitzing him every inch of the
> > way. How much fun can that be for him? He could be rid of me if he would
> > just put periods at the end of his sentences, but absent that I will

> plague
> > him from now until Kingdom come!

> I assume that the genius Ed Dolan can tell me all about Linux even though

he
> stumbles on a Mac
>
> Wierd

I know absolutely nothing about the Linux nor do I want to know anything
about it. But the only weird one here is you who refuses to place periods at
the end of sentences. What did a period ever do to you that you should shun
them so? I have never known anyone to have such a hang up about punctuation.
Have you seen a psychiatrist about this I wonder?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > This from a "genius"? amazing

> > The thing about a genius like me is that we carefully choose what it is

> that
> > we want to learn and vice versa. But I do not believe I need take any
> > criticism from a fool like you who does not know enough to put periods

at
> > the end of sentences.

> Yes but we've yet to see just what you've carefully chosen to be a genius

at

I am a generalist which you should have figured out by now. Specialized
knowledge is for lesser intellects than mine. You and slugger illustrate
that particular sub-species to perfection.

You not only need to work on your punctuation, but on your grammar too. I
could help you out there if I wanted to, but I have resolved never to be
helpful to anyone. That is a fool's errand which I leave to the Mr. Tom
Sherman's of the world.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I know absolutely nothing about the Linux nor do I want to know anything
> about it. But the only weird one here is you who refuses to place periods at
> the end of sentences. What did a period ever do to you that you should shun
> them so? I have never known anyone to have such a hang up about punctuation.
> Have you seen a psychiatrist about this I wonder?

If Mr. Dolan had a better memory, he would realize that Mr. Leuck was
not using periods to compensate for past excessive use of said
punctuation by Mr. Goldberg.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720042300448610%[email protected]...
> [...]
> > i don't capitalize to annoy you. my english is fine you need not
> > concern yourself with how i post. i am not working so i am not
> > capitalizing if i don't ****ing feel like it ya nazi. go iron your shoe
> > laces. or sort your socks. you can alphabetize them ya literal ****er!
> > Left comes before Right....

> You need to learn how to edit too so I don't have to keep plowing through
> your whole ****ing mess of a post each and every time to get to the parts
> that are current and of interest. I am only concerned with how you post
> because I have to read the ****ing things. But I am not going to read them
> any more with any discernment because your ignorance is just too profound
> for me. Such depth of idiocy is rare even for ARBR, which is well known for
> being a haven for idiots like you.
> [...]
>
> > i'm fine with how i write on usenet ..i just don't care about usenet
> > because of ****ers like you..not worth my time/effort to move my finger
> > to the shift key. plus it gets you all pissy. And thats fun.

> Get lost Slugger, you ****ing idiot! No one here is reading you except that
> other ****ing idiot Mark who also thinks he can write the English language
> anyway he pleases. Did you not know that language is a shared thing and the
> purpose of it is communication? Christ almighty, how the hell did you ever
> get out of kindergarten?
>
> If you do not like Usenet, then get the hell out of here and quit bothering
> those us who do. I absolutely assure you of one thing - you will never be
> missed (except by Mark who shows contempt for the group like you do every
> time he posts). Your g.d. gibberish is too hard to read for anyone who has
> his head screwed on straight. Why don't you just confine your
> "communicating"
> to your ****ing computer which is most likely the only thing that
> understands you in this entire world. I mean write notes to yourself and see
> if you can make heads or tails out of them. When you learn how to write,
> come back and see us - in about 20 years!

I'm not going anywhere ed.
cheers!
Slugger

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:190720042232246594%[email protected]...
> [...]
> > >
> > > I have to agree with you on this one (no shudder either)
> > >
> > > :)
> > >

> > I have a hard time agreeing with ed [Ed] on anything.
> > I am new to the recumbent scene and ed [Ed] has lots of useful knoweledge
> > about bents intersperced with BS political tripe. Its kind of funny and
> > annoying so i spar with him. right ed [Ed] ?
> > Slugger

> I think I should get some kind of contingency fee for bringing you two nuts
> together. As I read your posts to one another my mind fogs over and I am
> extremely grateful that I will be leaving this world one of these days soon
> and I will never have to learn any of that **** that you and Mark so dearly
> love to talk about. But you both need a good editor who would forbid any
> abbreviations, slang and jargon and all the other shortcuts that the two of
> you take. But Hells Bells! The both of you seem to understand one another
> and I suppose that is all that counts. But let me out of this mad house! All
> this computer jargon scrambles my brain.
>
> What bothers me the most about Slugger's post is that he manages to
> capitalize his own name but not mine. Why is that, I wonder?

Once again ed, your not worth the shift key.
Slugger