What happened to BentRiderOnline?

I'm using MSN Premium on Verizon DSL. It worked fine, now
all of a sudden I get the same blank page symptom that the
original poster has. Every other site works fine. I have
reverted to IE and it is the same. It is fine with my dial
up from here at the shop. I have tried all the regular
remedies to no success????? Hope someone figures it out. I
will play with it again tonight.

Jude

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my
> > end. I started
using Mozilla instead of MS Internet Explorer, but even MSIE
just sits there with the status
> > Opening page
> > http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm
> >
> > I'll figure it out.
> >
> I don't think the problem is on your end. Last night I got
> two empty
frames and the ubiquitous
> message "Waiting on 127.0.0.1" This was on Firefox and IE.
> Today at work
All is dandy.

http://p206.ezboard.com/bbentrideronline worked fine
> on every browser I tried. I think the problem is on the
> BROL host server.
The reverence to the
> localhost (127.0.0.1) is suspicious.
>
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
> http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

"John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>

> > Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> > world is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates
> > problems that I don't get on IE. I
would
> > be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like
> > about IE. It
seems
> > fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up
> > too many web
sites.
> > What am I missing?

> For me, it's cross platform uniformity. I run a couple
> Win2000 boxes and a Linux box and I like to use the same
> browser on each.

Good Grief! Who are these people who are running more than
one operating system? I am surprised you are not also
running a Mac (Apple) OS as well, although I guess you need
a separate computer for that.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I tried uninstalling Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox, but IE (version 6.0.2800) still doesn't work. At various times I saw all of the things that have been reported. Upper frame blank, looking for that IP address (127.0.0.0 or whatever it is). Every other site is ok, so it must be some combination of the BROL site and what I have on my system.

I just tried getting in using my laptop (Windows XP up to date, same IE version) and get the same result in the lower left:

"Opening page http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm..."

Since I did never installed Mozilla or Firefox on the laptop, it doesn't seem like they would be the source of the problem.

Ain't computers fun?

Chris

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I've heard from a couple of people that they've been
>> having problems getting in. I'm not sure what the
>> common denominator is. I'm using Mozilla (on Linux),
>> but I haven't updated it lately. I wonder if that's a
>> clue? If everyone who is having problems, did they
>> recently make some changes to their browser and/or
>> computer in general? I do think that 'waiting for
>> 127.0.0.1 may be a smoking gun as well.
>>
>>John Rooker wrote:
>>
>>>Chris,
>>>
>>>I'm having the same problem. I use Mozilla as well. I did
>>>a bunch of updates on Mozilla apps, Thunderbird, Firefox
>>>and Moz 1.7 and then discovered the problem with BROL. I
>>>have another PC that I did not update and it's going
>>>fine. When I try to access BROL, it says "Waiting for
>>>127.0.0.1 which is weird...that's Localhost..

> Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> world is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates
> problems that I don't get on IE. I would be interested in
> hearing what it is that you don't like about IE. It seems
> fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too
> many web sites. What am I missing?

I like the way Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox has a personal
toolbar on top for organizing bookmarks. I also like the tabbed-
browsing feature. And I like that most viruses are targetted
towards IE so not using it (or Outlook) makes me a little
bit safer. And I think the file scheme that Netscape uses is
cleaner and more straight foward than IE, which makes it
easier to backup, and move to other computers. And I've been
usng it for years so...why switch. It used to be that with
the prior version of Netscape, every so often I would run
across a web site that didn't work and would have to bring
up IE to see it. Haven't had that problem since upgrading to
Netscape 7 about 8 months ago.

rr

If I had my druthers, it would be Linux and nothing else,
but we have to have some Windows machines for my wife's job.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Good Grief! Who are these people who are running more than
> one operating system? I am surprised you are not also
> running a Mac (Apple) OS as well, although I guess you
> need a separate computer for that.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pJudnYrc_rKYKXDdRVn-
[email protected]:

> "MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:98ydnVBhvNPiOXDdRVn-
>> [email protected]:
>>

>> > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
recently

bunch
it

>> > Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
>> > world is
using
>> > Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that I
>> > don't get on
IE. I
>> > would be interested in hearing what it is that you
>> > don't like about
>> > IE. It seems fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when
>> > you pile up
too
>> > many web sites. What am I missing?
>> >

>> Guess you missed that nationwide call from computer
>> experts that
"it's
>> time to switch" of IE due to the proliferation of more
>> complex bugs every month. The latest security problem is
>> MAJOR and not to be
ignored.
>> You have been warned.
>
> Good Grief! I have got an anti-virus program (QuickHeal)
> which updates automatically every day, I have got
> ZoneAlarm (a firewall) and I have
got
> SpyBot for adware and spyware. I also download all the
> Microsoft
updates
> religiously. What else do I need? If IE is taken down,
> I suspect
Mozilla
> won't be far behind.

You haven't been reading!! The new worms and viruses are
MUCH more elaborate than the old types that attacked one
known vulnerability. The new ones are seeming to use
multiple attacks on multiple openings. Much harder to detect
and treat. They are also more virulent and dangerous. What
you have for protection is what EVERYONE has. It's not
enough. ANd will be even less sufficient from here forward.
There is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference in the user base of
IE to anything else. Nothing else gets even 1% of the
attention of the hackers, not to mention MS ineptitude in
fixing the PROBLEM as a whole instead of sticking one finger
in one hole each time. Ask someone that knows this stuff (I
don't) and they'll tell you that IE is
BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, as in unbelievably bad. As
in, shouldn't be on the market bad............. It has
always been bad, but now it's dangerously bad for you
personal information! The new programs allowed them to
access bank records and other institutional sources. They
could gain access to your credit cards, account numbers, etc
WITHOUT YOU EVER USING THEM on the web. One also that
corrupted hard drives, making them unusable! Not a kill it
and you're ok thing anymore! There is a VERY LARGE
difference between today and a year ago when it comes to
internet problems. Keep IE and you'll find out. Eventually.

Cletus Lee wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>Thanks for the replies, the problem is obviously on my
>>end. I started using Mozilla instead of MS Internet
>>Explorer, but even MSIE just sits there with the status
>>Opening page
>>http://www.bentrideronline.com/Vol5.4/cover.htm
>>
>>I'll figure it out.
>>

> I don't think the problem is on your end. Last night I got
> two empty frames and the ubiquitous message "Waiting on
> 127.0.0.1" This was on Firefox and IE. Today at work All
> is dandy.
>
> BTW the link to the forums (on another server)
> http://p206.ezboard.com/bbentrideronline worked fine on
> every browser I tried. I think the problem is on the BROL
> host server. The reverence to the localhost (127.0.0.1) is
> suspicious.

Yes, the reference to 127.0.0.1 is suspicious. I had been
experiencing the same problems accessing BROL since
installing Mozilla 1.7 last week. I had been using 1.6 with
no problems before. By using an older PC with Windows 98, I
was able to get to BROL. I then looked at the page source
for both the top and main frames. They include lines like:
<script language='javascript'
src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pa&r=14272'></script>

If you turn off Javascript in Mozilla, BROL loads fine. It
just doesn't look as "pretty" as it used to.

You can turn off Javascript by going to
Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Scripts & Plugins and unchecking
the "Enable JavaScript For: Navigator" checkbox.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... [...]
>
>> It's a fun ride - and I recommend the Tour of the
>> Scioto River Valley to everyone - it's not really that
>> tough, just a few rollers along the southern third. And
>> the murals on the floodwalls in Portsmouth make it all
>> worthwhile. But don't stop with just that article -
>> read the rest of them. Maybe I'll see you - and lots of
>> other readers/posters on Bike Florida, GITAP, TRIRI,
>> the Florida Bicycle Safari, etc.!
>

> Varney is doing nothing but easy rides. He needs to go
> West and do some more difficult rides. I recommend BRAN
> (Nebraska) or CANDISC (North Dakota) and he would soon
> find out what he is made of.

I was just talking to someone who rode BRAN this year.
She said the almost incessant wind just about drove her
crazy. And as for CANDISC, a friend of mine rode that
last year. He said it was fun, but not particularly
tough. If you want something tough, try the century route
of the Old Kentucky Home Tour. It's just 2-day weekend
ride, but the century on Saturday has three of the
toughest hills I've ever encountered, right at the 92-
mile mark. I'm serious when I say that you almost feel
like the front wheel is going to come off the ground!

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]... [...]
> >
> >> It's a fun ride - and I recommend the Tour of the
> >> Scioto River Valley to everyone - it's not really
> >> that tough, just a few rollers along the southern
> >> third. And the murals on the floodwalls in Portsmouth
> >> make it all worthwhile. But don't stop with just that
> >> article - read the rest of them. Maybe I'll see you -
> >> and lots of other readers/posters on Bike Florida,
> >> GITAP, TRIRI, the Florida Bicycle Safari, etc.!
> >

> > Varney is doing nothing but easy rides. He needs to go
> > West and do some
more
> > difficult rides. I recommend BRAN (Nebraska) or CANDISC
> > (North Dakota)
and
> > he would soon find out what he is made of.
> >

> I was just talking to someone who rode BRAN this year.
> She said the almost incessant wind just about drove her
> crazy. And as for CANDISC, a friend of mine rode that
> last year. He said it was fun, but not particularly
> tough. If you want something tough, try the century
> route of the Old Kentucky Home Tour. It's just 2-day
> weekend ride, but the century on Saturday has three of
> the toughest hills I've ever encountered, right at the
> 92-mile mark. I'm serious when I say that you almost
> feel like the front wheel is going to come off the
> ground!

Larry, I never do centuries. I hate them with a passion! The
main Wisconsin ride which I have often done (GRABAAWR)
averages about 70 miles per day. That is more than enough.
However, I do note that many Eastern rides will average far
less than that. I heartily approve of such rides as just
piling up miles is brainless and counter productive to
enjoyment. When I am doing a week long group tour I like to
have a bit of time to myself and not have to spend all day
just pedaling. The GOBA (Ohio) has got it right as far as I
am concerned. The Bike Florida has also got it right.

BRAN is a devil of a ride, CANDISC is not so bad, but the
daily mileage can be a bit much some years. The main problem
with these rides as far as I am concerned are the eternal
winds which detract greatly from the enjoyment. I much
prefer Eastern rides because they are not so difficult and
you are not constantly battling the wind.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:pJudnYrc_rKYKXDdRVn-
> [email protected]:
[...]
> > Good Grief! I have got an anti-virus program (QuickHeal)
> > which updates automatically every day, I have got
> > ZoneAlarm (a firewall) and I have
> got
> > SpyBot for adware and spyware. I also download all the
> > Microsoft
> updates
> > religiously. What else do I need? If IE is taken down, I
> > suspect
> Mozilla
> > won't be far behind.
> >

> You haven't been reading!! The new worms and viruses are
> MUCH more elaborate than the old types that attacked one
> known vulnerability. The new ones are seeming to use
> multiple attacks on multiple openings. Much harder to
> detect and treat. They are also more virulent and
> dangerous. What you have for protection is what EVERYONE
> has. It's not enough. ANd will be even less sufficient
> from here forward. There is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> difference in the user base of IE to anything else.
> Nothing else gets even 1% of the attention of the hackers,
> not to mention MS ineptitude in fixing the PROBLEM as a
> whole instead of sticking one finger in one hole each
> time. Ask someone that knows this stuff (I don't) and
> they'll tell you that IE is
> BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, as in unbelievably bad. As
> in, shouldn't be on the market bad............. It has
> always been bad, but now it's dangerously bad for you
> personal information! The new programs allowed them to
> access bank records and other institutional sources. They
> could gain access to your credit cards, account numbers,
> etc WITHOUT YOU EVER USING THEM on the web. One also that
> corrupted hard drives, making them unusable! Not a kill it
> and you're ok thing anymore! There is a VERY LARGE
> difference between today and a year ago when it comes to
> internet problems. Keep IE and you'll find out.
> Eventually.

MLB, you do not understand my psychology. First off, if
my hard drive goes and I lose all my music (over 40 GB
worth) I will have to kill myself. There is no other
possible solution.

However, my back up plan is to say screw all this computer
****! The Internet is nothing but chaos and if Microsoft
can't get a handle on it, then I sure as hell am not going
to get a handle on it. I have lived 99% of my life without
computers and I can easily go back to living without a
computer. I will only take so much aggravation and then I
will be gone. It will be ... "got along before I met you,
will get along without you now!"

But what are you recommending that I do to avoid all the
problems that you foresee for the immediate future?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Randy Rhine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> > world is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates
> > problems that I don't get on IE. I
would
> > be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like
> > about IE. It
seems
> > fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up
> > too many web
sites.
> > What am I missing?
> >
> I like the way Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox has a personal
> toolbar on top for organizing bookmarks. I also like the
> tabbed-browsing feature. And I like that most viruses are
> targetted towards IE so not using it (or Outlook) makes me
> a little bit safer. And I think the file scheme that
> Netscape uses is cleaner and more straight foward than IE,
> which makes it easier to backup, and move to other
> computers. And I've been usng it for years so...why
> switch. It used to be that with the prior version of
> Netscape, every so often I would run across a web site
> that didn't work and would have to bring up IE to see it.
> Haven't had that problem since upgrading to Netscape 7
> about 8 months ago.

Randy, I am only concerned about viruses taking down my
computer. All the bells and whistles that you may get with
other browsers do not matter to me. I have tried Netscape
in the past and was not overly impressed. But I do worry
about viruses, worms, hackers, etc. I wonder if Firefox
might not be worth a try? I dread the thought of a new OS
such as Linux.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:46:00 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

>Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the world
>is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates problems that
>I don't get on IE. I would be interested in hearing what it
>is that you don't like about IE. It seems fast but is
>sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too many web
>sites. What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that there are other computer
operating systems besides Windows and Macintosh.

"Bob Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:46:00 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> >Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> >world is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates
> >problems that I don't get on IE. I
would
> >be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like
> >about IE. It
seems
> >fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up too
> >many web sites. What am I missing?
> >
> You are missing the fact that there are other computer
> operating systems besides Windows and Macintosh.

The only other one I am aware of is Linux. But is this not
jumping from the frying pan into the fire?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

have the problem at home but not at work. I have accessed
the site from Both windows browsers (IE and Mozilla Firefox)
and Mac Browsers (Safari, Firefox) On Wednesday, I could not
get either frame to load at home. On Thursday, everything
worked at work but at home the top frame is still hanging.

The Message "waiting on 127.0.0.1" was suspicious. It refers
to the 'LocalHost" but the local host can be a local address
for the client or the server.

Looking at the code for the top frame, I found this
inclusion:

<script language='javascript'
src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pa&r=28703'></script>

I think this is the reason for this problem that occurs for
some but not others. At home, I block almost all but the
well known ports to keep out hackers.

If you or your ISP are blocking port 1026, your page
will not load

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

> get along without you now!"
>
> But what are you recommending that I do to avoid all the
> problems that you foresee for the immediate future?

First off understand that it's not me warning you. I'm
passing on what I'm reading all over the web, and from
mainstream computer magazines.These guys get a ton of money
from MS so I doubt they are going to pull the plug early.
The recommendations are to go to Netscape or Mozilla
immediately and see what shakes out in the future. Nothing
needs to stop, just need to use a different program, which I
might add, has a TINY learning curve. Firefox is almost
indentical to IE in function. It's much smaller and
supposedly a little faster as well. MS is the 8000lb gorilla
here, but they most certainly aren't the only game in town!
It's also open source code, which means programmers
everywhere can improve it or make fixes, unlike MS which is
limited to their employees.

I have been running linux for the last couple of years,
recently switched back to windows for the ease of using a
"needed" problem, the question should be why is everyone
else using windows? I couldn't live with the hassle it takes
to keep it running online. Linux isnt' that hard to learn
and it takes much less work to keep it up,, howie

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nuidnRuNqZZD5nPdRVn-
[email protected]...

> "Bob Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ef-
> [email protected]...
> > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:46:00 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:
> >
> > >Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> > >world is using Microsoft IE? Even Netscape creates
> > >problems that I don't get on IE. I
> would
> > >be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like
> > >about IE. It
> seems
> > >fast but is sometimes a bit unstable when you pile up
> > >too many web
sites.
> > >What am I missing?
> > >
> > You are missing the fact that there are other computer
> > operating systems besides Windows and Macintosh.
>
> The only other one I am aware of is Linux. But is this not
> jumping from
the
> frying pan into the fire?
>
> --
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Hmmm...I wonder what kind of hassles you are having to keep
Windows "running online". While Win98 used to freeze up once
or twice a week, since I switched to Win2k a while back, I
haven't had any problems. Rock solid.

dada's mail wrote:
> I have been running linux for the last couple of years,
> recently switched back to windows for the ease of using a
> "needed" problem, the question should be why is everyone
> else using windows? I couldn't live with the hassle it
> takes to keep it running online. Linux isnt' that hard to
> learn and it takes much less work to keep it up,, howie
>
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nuidnRuNqZZD5nPdRVn-
> [email protected]...
>
>>"Bob Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ef-
>>[email protected]...

>>would

>>seems

> sites.

>>>You are missing the fact that there are other computer
>>>operating systems besides Windows and Macintosh.
>>
>>The only other one I am aware of is Linux. But is this not
>>jumping from
>
> the
>
>>frying pan into the fire?
>>
>>--
>>Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:08:54 -0700, Randy Rhine <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Hmmm...I wonder what kind of hassles you are having to keep
>Windows "running online". While Win98 used to freeze up
>once or twice a week, since I switched to Win2k a while
>back, I haven't had any problems. Rock solid.

I run a network of Windows machines. You want a list of the
problems? Windows is a giant job creation scheme for geeks.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:08:54 -0700, Randy Rhine
> <[email protected]> wrote in message <KMWdnR9d7MzFGnLdRVn-
> [email protected]>:
>
> >Hmmm...I wonder what kind of hassles you are having to
> >keep Windows "running online". While Win98 used to freeze
> >up once or twice a week, since I switched to Win2k a
> >while back, I haven't had any problems. Rock solid.
>
> I run a network of Windows machines. You want a list of
> the problems? Windows is a giant job creation scheme
> for geeks.
>
> Guy

I know a couple of geeks (these are invariably young kids
between the ages of 18 and 21) and they both will have
absolutely nothing to do with Mac. They also do not like
Linux and are in fact both Windows fanatics. They tell me it
is the only way to go and that the sooner these other
operating systems go away the better. I do note that Wal-
Mart is now selling computers that include the Linux OS.

The problem for me is that it has taken me a long time to
get used to Windows and I dread the thought of learning
another OS. I guess I will wait and stay with Windows until
things get quite a bit worse. It may be that Microsoft will
get a handle on all the problems with Windows (mainly
security issues it seems to me).

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"dada's mail" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been running linux for the last couple of years,
> recently switched back to windows for the ease of using a
> "needed" problem, the question should be why is everyone
> else using windows? I couldn't live with the hassle it
> takes to keep it running online. Linux isnt' that hard to
> learn and it takes much less work to keep it up,, howie

I have heard that refrain before about how someone switched
to Linux and then switched back to Windows because only
Windows could handle what it is they needed to do.

Basically, I can't be bothered with the technical aspects of
keeping up a computer. I am not interested in that any more
than I am interested in keeping up a TV or radio. They
either work or they don't work. I think the vast majority of
people fall into this category of person.

The geeks are different and enjoy playing around with
computers. I most surely do not want to get an operating
system where I have to play around with it in order to keep
it going. I am counting on Microsoft to solve all the
problems inherent with computers so that the rest of us (the
vast majority) do not have to become geeks in order to keep
the computer operational.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota