What happened to BentRiderOnline?

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Melinda, what I know about computers you could put in a
> thimble. I am totally out of my element here. However, I
> am giving all those far more knowledgeable than I a
> novice's view point of how novices relate to computers.
> Most of us who are novices will remain so all our lives
> and we will refuse to learn much of anything about
> computers other than how to turn them on and how to turn
> them off.

Oh, I have spent 6-7 years helping my senior citizen
neighbor (who is approaching 80) learn to become computer-
literate, plus I am the volunteer computer consultant for
my sister's father-in-law who has Lou Gehrig's disease
(and runs his computer from a control thing that he
operates with his good knee) and I am really sympathetic
as to the difficulties of learning about computers at that
age range, but you *did* ask for reasons, and I was only
providing them. I apologize if you meant that as a
rhetorical question.

And I think that if you got someone to set up Mozilla for
you, you would probably like it.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
derived from the labor of the ox.

"Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > Melinda, what I know about computers you could put in
> > a thimble. I am totally out of my element here.
> > However, I am giving all those far more knowledgeable
> > than I a novice's view point of how novices relate to
> > computers. Most of us who are novices will remain so
> > all our lives and
we
> > will refuse to learn much of anything about computers
> > other than how to
turn
> > them on and how to turn them off.
>
> Oh, I have spent 6-7 years helping my senior citizen
> neighbor (who is approaching 80) learn to become computer-
> literate, plus I am the volunteer computer consultant for
> my sister's father-in-law who has Lou Gehrig's disease
> (and runs his computer from a control thing that he
> operates with his good knee) and I am really sympathetic
> as to the difficulties of learning about computers at that
> age range, but you *did* ask for reasons, and I was only
> providing them. I apologize if you meant that as a
> rhetorical question.

Your 80 year old neighbor is only ever going to become
slightly computer literate and he will never compare to the
young whiz kids who seem to instinctively understand these
very strange computer machines. Most of the folks that I
know in my age group only want the computer for emails and
very little else. All my questions are basically rhetorical
questions (most especially any and all political comments)
but still it is very pleasant when someone actually
undertakes to give me an answer. Many thanks!

> And I think that if you got someone to set up Mozilla for
> you, you would probably like it.

Alas, I will never know unless and until my Windows XP
and my IE and my OE become inoperable due to
unsolvable problems.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> >> Why is anyone using Mozilla when everyone else in the
> >> world is using Microsoft IE?
>
> >Um, no viruses, faster browsing time, the pleasure of
> >knowing that you aren't following the Cult of Gates,
> >etc., etc., etc. -- not to mention that I always thought
> >MSIE stunk royally and looks like a dog.
>
> My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware" -
> i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the fact
> that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the fact
> that it effectively gives web sites root access to your
> machine, whatever your user privileges.

For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE and
OE were all one thing. I think that is how Microsoft wants
us to think about it. Unfortunately, for any competing
systems out there in computerland, what you first learn when
you get a new computer (especially if it is your first
computer) is what you are most likely going to stay with for
all eternity. The thought of changing any of the three items
above sends shivers up and down my spine.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:15:47 GMT, Melinda Meahan - remove
>>TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote in message
>><[email protected]>:

>>>Um, no viruses, faster browsing time, the pleasure of
>>>knowing that you aren't following the Cult of Gates,
>>>etc., etc., etc. -- not to mention that I always thought
>>>MSIE stunk royally and looks like a dog.
>>
>>My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware" -
>>i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the fact
>>that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the fact
>>that it effectively gives web sites root access to your
>>machine, whatever your user privileges.
>

> For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
> and OE were all one thing. I think that is how Microsoft
> wants us to think about it. Unfortunately, for any
> competing systems out there in computerland, what you
> first learn when you get a new computer (especially if
> it is your first computer) is what you are most likely
> going to stay with for all eternity. The thought of
> changing any of the three items above sends shivers up
> and down my spine.

Not as a slam against you, since I've known quite a few
who behave the same way, but this is something I've
always wondered about: why are some people afraid to
learn new things, to try something different? I can see
where you might want to stick with the "tried and true"
if trying something else was somehow life-threatening or
dangerous. But a different browser or email client? Or an
operating system that might use both mouse buttons
instead of just one? This reminds me of someone who
didn't want to buy any records in CD format, because she
had so many cassettes. I tried explaining to her that she
didn't need to get rid of any of her old stuff - unless
she wanted to. It's not like someone is going to force
you to replace anything. But it's just possible that, in
her case, she would find that the new stuff was actually
better, that there was a benefit to "learning" something
new. But she was afraid, and she still lives with tapes
that eventually stretch and break, sound quality that's
better than old 78's but far worse than what she could be
experiencing, etc. Does the old stuff work? Yeah, to one
degree or another. Will the new stuff work better? Maybe
- but if you're afraid to at least take a look, you'll
never know what good things you may be missing.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:15:47 GMT, Melinda Meahan -
> >>remove TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote in
> >>message <[email protected]>:

> >>My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware"
> >>- i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the
> >>fact that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the
> >>fact that it effectively gives web sites root access to
> >>your machine, whatever your user privileges.
> >

> > For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
> > and OE were all
one
> > thing. I think that is how Microsoft wants us to think
> > about it. Unfortunately, for any competing systems out
> > there in computerland, what
you
> > first learn when you get a new computer (especially if
> > it is your first computer) is what you are most likely
> > going to stay with for all
eternity.
> > The thought of changing any of the three items above
> > sends shivers up
and
> > down my spine.
> >

> Not as a slam against you, since I've known quite a few
> who behave the same way, but this is something I've
> always wondered about: why are some people afraid to
> learn new things, to try something different? I can see
> where you might want to stick with the "tried and true"
> if trying something else was somehow life-threatening
> or dangerous. But a different browser or email client?
> Or an operating system that might use both mouse
> buttons instead of just one? This reminds me of someone
> who didn't want to buy any records in CD format,
> because she had so many cassettes. I tried explaining
> to her that she didn't need to get rid of any of her
> old stuff - unless she wanted to. It's not like someone
> is going to force you to replace
anything.
> But it's just possible that, in her case, she would
> find that the new stuff was actually better, that there
> was a benefit to "learning" something new. But she was
> afraid, and she still lives with tapes that eventually
> stretch and break, sound quality that's better than old
> 78's but far worse than what she could be experiencing,
> etc. Does the old stuff work? Yeah, to one degree or
> another. Will the new stuff work better? Maybe - but if
> you're afraid to at least take a look, you'll never
> know what good things you may be missing.

Larry, your message above contains more wisdom than you
might suspect. The fact is that as we get older (most of us
anyway) become quite fearful of anything new. We know from a
lifetime of experience that the new is often not better and
can be infinitely worse. You apparently have retained your
youthful outlook on all of this and you are open to the new.
However, many of us aren't.

I am always about a decade behind what ever is new. I have
been fearful all of my life of the new. I am not an
entrepreneur which I understand is what makes this economy
go around. I have often said if every one was like me,
capitalism and democracy would be the most tremendous
failure ever known to mankind.

By the way, I am just now starting to get into CD's. I have
thousands of tape cassettes. Like I said, I tend to run at
least a decade behind everyone else.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:15:47 GMT, Melinda Meahan - remove
>> TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> <[email protected]>:

>> >Um, no viruses, faster browsing time, the pleasure of
>> >knowing that you aren't following the Cult of Gates,
>> >etc., etc., etc. -- not to mention that I always thought
>> >MSIE stunk royally and looks like a dog.
>>
>> My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware" -
>> i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the fact
>> that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the fact
>> that it effectively gives web sites root access to your
>> machine, whatever your user privileges.
>
> For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
> and OE were all one thing. I think that is how Microsoft
> wants us to think about
> it. Unfortunately, for any competing systems out there in
> computerland, what you first learn when you get a new
> computer (especially if it is your first computer) is
> what you are most likely going to stay with for all
> eternity. The thought of changing any of the three
> items above sends shivers up and down my spine.

Ed, install FireFox. it's a tiny little program, small
download. It is a separate program and you don't have to do
ANYTHING to IE to use it. You don't have to remove IE to use
it. You just have 2 browswers (that's what they are) to use
just like you could have Quicken AND Money on your computer.
TRY Firefox and if you hate it, close it and open IE. It
will put a shortcut on your desktop if you wish and that's
all their is to it. It will ask if you want to import (copy,
not steal) the favorites list from
IE. They call them bookmarks in FF, that's about the only
thing I had to learn to use it. It's VERY similar and I
think you'd be surprised how simple the switch is.
Occasionally I'll find something that doesn't work,
video or something, (I haven't downloaded any extras for
it yet), so I'll close it and open IE and use it for
that. After only a week I automatically pick it over
IF.Go to cnet.com and download this free program. Again,
this is NOT operating system stuff!! Simply a program
just like any other program that operates on top of
the op.sys.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Your 80 year old neighbor is only ever going to become
> slightly computer literate and he will never compare to
> the young whiz kids who seem to instinctively understand
> these very strange computer machines. Most of the folks
> that I know in my age group only want the computer for
> emails and very little else. All my questions are
> basically rhetorical questions (most

I dunno. He's learning more than I am, because he has a web
cam and uses it to talk over the internet with his children
(they're in their 60s and still older than me), and he knows
more about it than I do -- I just know more about the
regular computer stuff.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
derived from the labor of the ox.

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
>> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:15:47 GMT, Melinda Meahan - remove
>>>TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>><[email protected]>:

>>>My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware" -
>>>i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the fact
>>>that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the fact
>>>that it effectively gives web sites root access to your
>>>machine, whatever your user privileges.
>>

>> For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
>> and OE were all one thing. I think that is how Microsoft
>> wants us to think about
>> it. Unfortunately, for any competing systems out there in
>> computerland, what you first learn when you get a new
>> computer (especially if it is your first computer) is
>> what you are most likely going to stay with for all
>> eternity. The thought of changing any of the three
>> items above sends shivers up and down my spine.
>>

> Not as a slam against you, since I've known quite a few
> who behave the same way, but this is something I've
> always wondered about: why are some people afraid to
> learn new things, to try something different? I can see
> where you might want to stick with the "tried and true"
> if trying something else was somehow life-threatening
> or dangerous. But a different browser or email client?
> Or an operating system that might use both mouse
> buttons instead of just one? This reminds me of someone
> who didn't want to buy any records in CD format,
> because she had so many cassettes. I tried explaining
> to her that she didn't need to get rid of any of her
> old stuff - unless she wanted to. It's not like someone
> is going to force you to replace anything. But it's
> just possible that, in her case, she would find that
> the new stuff was actually better, that there was a
> benefit to "learning" something new. But she was
> afraid, and she still lives with tapes that eventually
> stretch and break, sound quality that's better than old
> 78's but far worse than what she could be experiencing,
> etc. Does the old stuff work? Yeah, to one degree or
> another. Will the new stuff work better? Maybe - but if
> you're afraid to at least take a look, you'll never
> know what good things you may be missing.

TAPES! Don't get me started.... Had extensive audio cassette
AND video tape libraries. Both are now mostly history,
either broken or so noisy as to be useless. Most are flaking
so much I'm afraid they'll mess up my players. Now I burn
cd's and dvd's.. hope laser rot is a history thing.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
>>>wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
>>>and OE were all
>
> one
>
>>>thing. I think that is how Microsoft wants us to think
>>>about it. Unfortunately, for any competing systems out
>>>there in computerland, what
>
> you
>
>>>first learn when you get a new computer (especially if it
>>>is your first computer) is what you are most likely going
>>>to stay with for all
>
> eternity.
>
>>>The thought of changing any of the three items above
>>>sends shivers up
>
> and
>
>>>down my spine.
>>>

>> Not as a slam against you, since I've known quite a few
>> who behave the same way, but this is something I've
>> always wondered about: why are some people afraid to
>> learn new things, to try something different? I can see
>> where you might want to stick with the "tried and true"
>> if trying something else was somehow life-threatening
>> or dangerous. But a different browser or email client?
>> Or an operating system that might use both mouse
>> buttons instead of just one? This reminds me of someone
>> who didn't want to buy any records in CD format,
>> because she had so many cassettes. I tried explaining
>> to her that she didn't need to get rid of any of her
>> old stuff - unless she wanted to. It's not like someone
>> is going to force you to replace
>
> anything.
>
>> But it's just possible that, in her case, she would
>> find that the new stuff was actually better, that there
>> was a benefit to "learning" something new. But she was
>> afraid, and she still lives with tapes that eventually
>> stretch and break, sound quality that's better than old
>> 78's but far worse than what she could be experiencing,
>> etc. Does the old stuff work? Yeah, to one degree or
>> another. Will the new stuff work better? Maybe - but if
>> you're afraid to at least take a look, you'll never
>> know what good things you may be missing.
>

> Larry, your message above contains more wisdom than you
> might suspect.

You just now noticing that? Sheesh! But as you say,
you're always a deccade behind! ;) An easy way to check
out Linux, though, without changing a thing on your
computer, is to get hold of something called Mandrake
Move. Either download it, get it off of a recent DVD from
Linux Format, a British magazine, however you can. It's a
'distribution' of Linux that boots and runs from a CD -
it'll go out and examine your hardware and, in most
cases, you'll be set to run a nice selection of programs.
It won't run as fast as Linux actually installed on your
computer - it takes longer to load a program from the CD,
as you might guess - but you might be surprised at how
little you need to learn (or re-learn), and how there is
nothing to fear, but fear itself. (Obviously spoken by
someone who has never been chased by a pack of dogs while
riding a recumbent trike!)

The
> fact is that as we get older (most of us anyway) become
> quite fearful of anything new. We know from a lifetime of
> experience that the new is often not better and can be
> infinitely worse. You apparently have retained your
> youthful outlook on all of this and you are open to the
> new. However, many of us aren't.
>
> I am always about a decade behind what ever is new. I have
> been fearful all of my life of the new. I am not an
> entrepreneur which I understand is what makes this economy
> go around. I have often said if every one was like me,
> capitalism and democracy would be the most tremendous
> failure ever known to mankind.
>
> By the way, I am just now starting to get into CD's. I
> have thousands of tape cassettes. Like I said, I tend to
> run at least a decade behind everyone else.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:TJidnf7wqJ3O4GzdRVn-
> [email protected]:
[...]
> > For the longest period of time I thought Windows and IE
> > and OE were all one thing. I think that is how Microsoft
> > wants us to think about
> > it. Unfortunately, for any competing systems out there
> > in computerland, what you first learn when you get a
> > new computer (especially if it is your first
> > computer) is what you are most likely going to stay
> > with for all eternity. The thought of changing any
> > of the three items above sends shivers up and down
> > my spine.
> >

> Ed, install FireFox. it's a tiny little program, small
> download. It is a separate program and you don't have to
> do ANYTHING to IE to use it. You don't have to remove IE
> to use it. You just have 2 browswers (that's what they
> are) to use just like you could have Quicken AND Money on
> your computer. TRY Firefox and if you hate it, close it
> and open IE. It will put a shortcut on your desktop if you
> wish and that's all their is to it. It will ask if you
> want to import (copy, not steal) the favorites list from
> IE. They call them bookmarks in FF, that's about the only
> thing I had to learn to use it. It's VERY similar and
> I think you'd be surprised how simple the switch is.
> Occasionally I'll find something that doesn't work,
> video or something, (I haven't downloaded any extras
> for it yet), so I'll close it and open IE and use it
> for that. After only a week I automatically pick it
> over
> IE.Go to cnet.com and download this free program. Again,
> this is NOT operating system stuff!! Simply a program
> just like any other program that operates on top of the
> op.sys.

OK, thanks MLB. I will do as you suggest. God only knows how
many truly horrible crappy programs I have downloaded to my
computer which causes it to freeze, and then I go back to a
restore point which saves the day. Thank God for those
restore points or I would be permanently out of business
with respect to my computer (which I paid more than $700.
for at Wal-Mart).

--
Regards

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > Your 80 year old neighbor is only ever going to become
> > slightly computer literate and he will never compare to
> > the young whiz kids who seem to instinctively understand
> > these very strange computer machines. Most of
the
> > folks that I know in my age group only want the computer
> > for emails and
very
> > little else. All my questions are basically rhetorical
> > questions (most
>
> I dunno. He's learning more than I am, because he has a
> web cam and uses it to talk over the internet with his
> children (they're in their 60s and still older than me),
> and he knows more about it than I do -- I just know more
> about the regular computer stuff.

He wants the computer for essentially email - to keep in
contact with his children and grandchildren. I do not like
Instant Messaging. It is too much like the telephone which I
have always hated all of my life - and web cams are entirely
out of the question. I am an old fashion letter writer and
so email suits me best. Usenet also works for me.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Larry, your message above contains more wisdom than you
> > might suspect.
>
> You just now noticing that? Sheesh! But as you say,
> you're always a deccade behind! ;) An easy way to check
> out Linux, though, without changing a thing on your
> computer, is to get hold of something called Mandrake
> Move. Either download it, get it off of a recent DVD
> from Linux Format, a British magazine, however you can.
> It's a 'distribution' of Linux that boots and runs from
> a CD - it'll go out and examine your hardware and, in
> most cases, you'll be set to run a nice selection of
> programs. It won't run as fast as Linux actually
> installed on your computer - it takes longer to load a
> program from the CD, as you might guess - but you might
> be surprised at how little you need to learn (or re-
> learn), and how there is nothing to fear, but fear
> itself. (Obviously spoken by someone who has never been
> chased by a pack of dogs while riding a recumbent
> trike!)

Larry, I am not prepared just yet to go to a different
operating system. You are quite a bit more sophisticated
than I am on this subject. I need to stay where I am at with
Windows XP for the time being. There are still things I am
learning about it. But I will save your suggestions for when
I may need them in the future. Many thanks!

---
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Intermittent Exploder is a piece of ****. I just upgraded
my system and decided to try XP pro. XP is sloooooow. IE
is slower.

I was unable to get to an URL w/ Netscrap 7.1 or
Oprah 7. I went to the M$ site and DL'd ALL the
patches and installed them. Then I tried IE.....
instant virus download, it set off all my AV
alarms! So I ran the anti-virus proggie and removed
said virus.

I removed OE by deleting the directory. Next I'll
crawl thru the registry and remove all references to
these virus baits.

This is why anyone with an IQ higher than slime mold
uses --> anything but IE/OE (Outhouse Excess).

XPlite will REMOVE IE/OE for you. 30usd.

BTW w/ my new system I think I am going back to
W98se for games, etc. Oh, and 98Lite is free!!
Removes IE/OE. Makes W98se fly!!
http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html

I have 7 systems here, 3 run Solaris (work systems),
1 W95, 1 Mandrake7, 1 W98se (wife's), and my current
system has W98se, Wxp, and Mandrake10, on 3
different disk drives. Want a diff OS, plug in that
drive. I am also going to load the new Linux 64 bit
OS on my 'AMD 64 3000+' upgrade. Of course, I have
prolly 50 disk drives laying about, some tape
drives, 4 CDs, 1 DVD writer, UPS, etc, etc.

Windows is really only good for games...

Unfortunately, being on medical leave I am
'forbidden' to use 'unix' OS's. Especially Solaris,
blehhhh. We have systems using Solaris that have run
for YEARS w/ little or no problems. No m$ OS can
match it. The longest running one I have personally
seen was up/online over 5+years. It went off in a
grid wide power failure. Auto-booted when power was
restored, and last I heard was still working fine.

I think Netscrap was my 1st browser back in 1984, I
have also used 'HotJava' ... gack. The browser I
like best is Opera.

At my workplace the prez sent out a memo when XP was
released, anyone caught hooking it (XP) to our
networks would be 'immediately' terminated.

Doofus sobs:

"bil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:KslIc.2781$f9.177@fed1read02... [...]
> BTW w/ my new system I think I am going back to W98se for
> games, etc. Oh, and 98Lite is free!! Removes IE/OE. Makes
> W98se fly!! http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html
>
> I have 7 systems here, 3 run Solaris (work systems), 1
> W95, 1 Mandrake7, 1 W98se (wife's), and my current system
> has W98se, Wxp, and Mandrake10, on 3 different disk
> drives. Want a diff OS, plug in that drive. I am also
> going to load the new Linux 64 bit OS on my 'AMD 64
> 3000+' upgrade. Of course, I have prolly 50 disk drives
> laying about, some tape drives, 4 CDs, 1 DVD writer, UPS,
> etc, etc.

Doesn't the above just about say it all. Bil is one in ten
thousand. No one else would ever even think of going to all
this trouble just to avoid Microsoft, although he is making
all sorts of compromises there too. The bottom line is that
no one can avoid Microsoft. Since that is the case, why not
make the best of it without going to the ends of the earth
in order to avoid it. If Bil only knew how uninterested most
of us are in our computers he would never post such
foolishness as he has here on ARBR.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

IE can be uninstalled. 98Lite will do it. XPlite will
do it. With W98 it can even be done manually, if you
are a masochist.... After using 98lite I crawl the
registry deleting any references to IE/OE. Usually 4-5,
I think. Easy.

Yeah, giving root access to anyone on my machines
but me is a death warrant. Hit'm again, his eyes
twitched....

I see Solaris is available for x86, again. Free
binaries, for one system only: URL has a length of
84 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which has a length of 23 characters:

http://tinyurl.com/yrgx

enter name, address, e-mail. then select developer.

Oops, you need to register at the site 1st. Still
free, but a bit of a hassle.

URL has a length of 193 characters and resulted in
the following TinyURL which has a length of 24
characters:

http://tinyurl.com/2y7lw

Exclaimer: I did work for Sun Microsystems Inc. as
a LabManager/SysAdmin/Technician until a box of
steel mounting brackets fell on me crushing 2 disks
at C3-4-5.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> My principle objection to IE is that it is "throatware" -
> i.e. it is rammed down your throat. I don't like the fact
> that you can't uninstall it, and I don't like the fact
> that it effectively gives web sites root access to your
> machine, whatever your user privileges.
>
> Guy

We are the masses of the computer literate. We will bury
YOU!

Must be difficult for you being a retarded
genius....

Do still have fond memories of the old orphanage?
Any pix of you being beaten/sodomized by the nuns?

Doofus trolled:
> Good Grief! Who are these people who are running more than
> one operating system? I am surprised you are not also
> running a Mac (Apple) OS as well, although I guess you
> need a separate computer for that.

To bad for you, dull and stupid person.

I am interested in just about everything. Bonsai
trees(95), guns, computers, cars, bikes(10), etc,
etc. I have taken apart and put back together almost
every piece of equipment I have ever had. And after
I prune and repot some of my trees one would think I
rebuilt them too. ;-)

I don't compromise, I improvise.

If I wanted to only play games on my 5 systems,
PS1/2, SNES, N64, Gamecube, I would never touch an
m$ product. But I have to share.

I only got W95 initially bcuz the guy I had build
the system was in trouble w/ m$ and had to charge
ALL of his customers for it, whether they wanted it
or not. I figure since m$ has never produced a
working OS, they owe me. BTW: I was a contractor
working 80+ hr weeks so no time to build a system,
but OH!, that overtime....

Anyone can avoid m$, use Linux.

Doofus retched:

> Bil is one in six billion. No one else would ever even
> think of going to all this trouble just to avoid
> Microsoft, although he is making all sorts of compromises
> there too. The bottom line is that no one can avoid
> Microsoft. Since that is the case, why not make the best
> of it without going to the ends of the earth in order to
> avoid it. If Bil only knew how uninterested most of us
> are in our computers he would never post such foolishness
> as he has here on ARBR.

Doofus begged:

> MLB, you do not understand my psychology. First off, if my
> hard drive goes and I lose all my music (over 40 GB worth)
> I will have to kill myself. There is no other possible
> solution.

So you are a thief, as well as a psycho-troll.

> However, my back up plan is to say screw all this computer
> ****! The Internet is nothing but chaos and if Microsoft
> can't get a handle on it, then I sure as hell am not going
> to get a handle on it. I have lived 99% of my life without
> computers and I can easily go back to living without a
> computer. I will only take so much aggravation and then I
> will be gone. It will be ... "got along before I met you,
> will get along without you now!"

Good idea, the only one you have ever had!!

Microsoft has created millions of MCSE's who will
starve if they "fix" their products.

M y C omputer S ux E h?

> But what are you recommending that I do to avoid all the
> problems that you foresee for the immediate future?

Do you still have the box your system came in?
Return to Vendor. Never darken our lives again.
Thank You!

Edward Dolan wrote:

> He wants the computer for essentially email - to keep in
> contact with his children and grandchildren.

That and playing computer games.

> are entirely out of the question. I am an old fashion
> letter writer and so email suits me best. Usenet also
> works for me.

His handwriting is lousy (did I also say that I am usually
his personal secretary also when he has business letters to
write? LOL -- and before you think that he's taking
advantage of me, he's my automotive consultant and personal
chauffeur when I need a ride to or from the mechanic's or to
and from the airport, etc., so it all balances out) and he
hates writing because nobody can read it (sometimes he can't
even read it himself LOL), so email is great for him. But
Usenet is too much for him.

Different strokes, ya know...

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, But much benefit is
derived from the labor of the ox.

"Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > He wants the computer for essentially email - to keep in
> > contact with
his
> > children and grandchildren.
>
> That and playing computer games.
>
> > are entirely out of the question. I am an old fashion
> > letter writer and
so
> > email suits me best. Usenet also works for me.
>
> His handwriting is lousy (did I also say that I am usually
> his personal secretary also when he has business letters
> to write? LOL -- and before you think that he's taking
> advantage of me, he's my automotive consultant and
> personal chauffeur when I need a ride to or from the
> mechanic's or to and from the airport, etc., so it all
> balances out) and he hates writing because nobody can read
> it (sometimes he can't even read it himself LOL), so email
> is great for him. But Usenet is too much for him.
>
> Different strokes, ya know...

Melinda, I once had a great Aunt who used to write me
regularly when I was in the Navy and at college. Her
handwriting was something to behold. I use to spend hours
trying to decipher what it was she was saying to me. After
many years of this I actually got quite good at it. Then,
occasionally I would show these letters to others and they
were always amazed that anyone could possibly read them. It
basically looked like nothing but chicken scratches to them.
Ah well, those kind of days are gone forever now. It is like
something out of a Charles Dickens' novel.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota