Why America is so great!!!!!!!

Carrera said:
"
(6) First woman in space - Valentina Tereshkova (Russia)
Why would loading a uterus -as opposed to a penis - into a pressurized tube and launching it out of the atmosphere be an accomplishment?

Was there some inherent technological challenge that needed to be overcome based upon the biological differences of the sexes?

Who cares?

I think it may have been the "Tsar" that was employed in the desert test. The Tsar device was the biggest explosion ever conducted (it was probably detonated in Kazakhstan but I don't really remember so well the details.)

As I recall, they deposited small farms and buildings close to the area to be tested but, alarmingly, didn't notify all the residents in adjacent areas. Residential zones were, thus, contaminated by radiation.

There is a terrific website that shows what a nuclear zone looks like. I don't recall the address. It's been created by a Russian lady who rides to Chernobyl on her motorbike with a camera. You can see a totally deserted, radioactive area - frozen in time with old soviet slogans on buildings. Once you get so far to Chernobyl you need permission to carry on into the radioactive zone.

Weisse Luft said:
Hydrogen is a fusion bomb. And the US was first in deliverables.

The Soviet Union exploded its first thermonuclear device on August 12, 1953. This created concern within the U.S. government and military, because, unlike "Mike," the Soviet device was a deliverable weapon, which the U.S. did not yet have (however the 1953 Soviet bomb was arguably not a "true" hydrogen bomb in that it was not a multi-stage weapon). By 1954, though, the United States had detonated the "Shrimp" device during the Castle Bravo test, marking the first deployable hydrogen bomb. The device yielded almost twice as much power as was expected, and contaminated island natives and a Japanese fishing boat with deadly nuclear fallout. The Soviet Union detonated its first "true" hydrogen bomb in 1955.

iknowtest said:
Why would loading a uterus -as opposed to a penis - into a pressurized tube and launching it out of the atmosphere be an accomplishment?

Was there some inherent technological challenge that needed to be overcome based upon the biological differences of the sexes?

Who cares?
I somehow think that no-one really cares, they simply like arguing with you...

Glorified_G said:
The US is a great country.....among many others. You're right to believe that many people..many countries envy alot of what Americans have.

I THINK what many people may have a problem with is the arrogance of SOME Americans which gives a bad image to Americans as a whole.

Every country has pros and cons and then everyone has opinions what those pros and cons mean. What's great to you may not be all that great in somebody else's opinion.

Americans are definitely lucky to live in the country they do, but I think there are many other countries who's people should be and could be very proud of themselves.

I can't say the US would be the first place i would think about moving to, but I definitely wouldn't say it's the last....if I ever wanted to move out of this wonderful country of mine ;)

There's my two cents....keep your stick on the ice!

Congratulations, this is probably the most intelligent thing I read in this thread, I totally agree with you.

Why this fight about who is the best ? each country is good in something, otherwise there would not be international commerce (have you heard of absolute and comparative advantage ?)

I think, that it is good that the Americans are proud of their country, but sometimes they are perhaps too proud, that is the only thing we europeans don't like about americans, they often go boasting about the major superiority of their country.

Please, Americans, accept that allthough you are a great country, you still have problems in your country, nobody is perfect, you still have problems of rascism, povrety, bad quality health service for a big part of the populations, and others.

I think that the threat turned out to be a slagging match because of "the arrogance of SOME Americans" posting on it...

Personally, I've lived in many countries around the world and agree wholeheartedly with the 'pros and cons' theory. I've never been to the perfect country (though Sweden comes the closest in my own mind) but have been to some great ones.

For the purpose of this thread however, I'd consider 'The Greatness' of a country should be measured not in terms of what they have themselves but what they give to others.

A measurement of a (wo)mans greatness would be on a similar basis; hence Nelson Mandela (or Jesus - not that I'm religious) would rank very highly but the worlds greatest business men would rank not so highly.

Ah! A different thread. Water moderated, water cooled nuclear reactors in the US virtually eliminate Chernobyl events. You see, the Soviets used graphite moderated reactors. When the coolant is lost, the fission continues until the graphite vaporizes, then the carbon vapor is released in a pyrophoric radioactive cloud of fire.

When a water moderated reactor loses coolant, the neutron flux increases but since these neutrons are moving at velocities too high for nuclear capture, the neutrons pass through the fissile material with no further reaction. Core temperatures spike, ruining the fuel rod assemblies but preserving the integrity of the system. Control rods can then be shoved back into the core even if it has melted since the fuel rod assemblies are quite soft. Once the control rods are in, neutron flux decreases and all reaction stops.

What happened at Three Mile Island was such an event. Hydrogen was generated from the spike in core temperature and residual water. Control rods were then inserted and the reaction stopped. No graphite burned and the robust design of the containment prevented release of anything other than hydrogen, of wich a small amount was tritium which has a half life of 12.5 years.

iknowtest said:
Its a sign of change in social attitudes...a positive one at that.

A great leap forward.

You may find the following website interesting, although it's a bit eerie. It's run by a girl called Elena who rides her motorbike around the Chernobyl area, taking pics of the ghost town and adding to her website.

You can go here to access the website:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

If you're into physics, the following may be of interest:

"In the first days after explosion, some places around the reactor were emitting 3,000-30,000 roentgens per hour."

"1,000 microroentgens equal one milliroentgen and 1,000 milliroentgens equal 1 roentgen. So one roentgen is 100,000 times the average radiation of a typical city. A dose of 500 roentgens within 5 hours is fatal to humans. Interestingly, it takes about 2 1/2 times that dosage to kill a chicken and over 100 times that to kill a cockroach."

The link below shows her pics of places frozen in a Soviet time warp. The Yeltsin and Putin years never had any influence on Chernobyl and it became a desert town before communism finally disappeared.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter15.html

Weisse Luft said:
Ah! A different thread. Water moderated, water cooled nuclear reactors in the US virtually eliminate Chernobyl events. You see, the Soviets used graphite moderated reactors. When the coolant is lost, the fission continues until the graphite vaporizes, then the carbon vapor is released in a pyrophoric radioactive cloud of fire.

When a water moderated reactor loses coolant, the neutron flux increases but since these neutrons are moving at velocities too high for nuclear capture, the neutrons pass through the fissile material with no further reaction. Core temperatures spike, ruining the fuel rod assemblies but preserving the integrity of the system. Control rods can then be shoved back into the core even if it has melted since the fuel rod assemblies are quite soft. Once the control rods are in, neutron flux decreases and all reaction stops.

What happened at Three Mile Island was such an event. Hydrogen was generated from the spike in core temperature and residual water. Control rods were then inserted and the reaction stopped. No graphite burned and the robust design of the containment prevented release of anything other than hydrogen, of wich a small amount was tritium which has a half life of 12.5 years.

why america is great?
because you can read all those jokes about stupid rednecks :D