Did You Ride Today?

Yes, for 54'Km, making the year to date 1013km. I go in for surgery on Wed to help with some of the problems I faced this year. My goal for 2019 is 1500km

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The thing about the time change is that it has cut down on the pressure trying to get home and ride before it gets dark. A bit more relaxing now knowing that it's going to be dark no matter what! :lol:
I need your help. I am new to cycling and started doing tri's.
I have my indoor bike and my partners. We share a kickr snap power meter.
Each one of our bikes has its own Garmin cadence/speed sensor.
Currently we have our own accounts with trainer road.
Also, we have our own Garmin 935 watches.

What we need is a way to connect it all and show output in trainer road.
Ideally we want to bike on Trainer road on the ipad and see the power, cadence and heart rate all displayed.
Previously, I was using a North Pole Engineering CABLE ANT+ sensor to connect all of the above, but not heart rate. Something to do with it could not handle all the connections.

Anyway, that is my goal, for her to be able to do this and me.
If ANYONE has advice, I am open if need be to purchasing some piece of supplemental equipment to allow this to happen.
Thank you for your time.

I need your help. I am new to cycling and started doing tri's.
I have my indoor bike and my partners. We share a kickr snap power meter.
Each one of our bikes has its own Garmin cadence/speed sensor.
Currently we have our own accounts with trainer road.
Also, we have our own Garmin 935 watches.

What we need is a way to connect it all and show output in trainer road.
Ideally we want to bike on Trainer road on the ipad and see the power, cadence and heart rate all displayed.
Previously, I was using a North Pole Engineering CABLE ANT+ sensor to connect all of the above, but not heart rate. Something to do with it could not handle all the connections.

Anyway, that is my goal, for her to be able to do this and me.
If ANYONE has advice, I am open if need be to purchasing some piece of supplemental equipment to allow this to happen.
Thank you for your time.

Sorry man, I don't know what most of that stuff is and I don't deal with trainers at all. Nothing high tech trainers or online friend stuff. I strictly ride outdoors and use strava at best.

OK today was a beotch but I really had fun! High wind warnings, 40-50 mph with gusts up to 65. Yes that was about it!

None of my buds were interested in riding today. Actually made it nice as I ended up doing my thang!

35 miles at a 13.7 MPH average speed (Cycling Tom would be happy to see that! :D) and at times pushing hard to hold it at 9 MPH! o_O

As you can see, I was just about alone out there! Entire 35 miles I saw maybe 10 cyclists. On a fair day, I see hundreds. :p

DSCN0543.JPG
Screenshot_2019-01-01-09-02-41.jpg

Reactions: zipp2001
The windy video! :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Due to all sorts of reasons I only got in half of my expected mileage this year - 4465 miles or 7185 km. The climbing too was dramatically less with only 165,040 ft or 50,304 meters.

I only count climbing as 5% or more grade so there was a lot of what flatlanders might call climbing that wasn't recorded. Surely those that were "climbing" on video games were not climbing at all. I finally found one of those things and there wasn't any feedback to the exercise machine and the power and climbing figures were a joke.

My brother had a heart attack and they cleaned out his main heart arteries since he wasn't strong enough to withstand a triple bypass. After the operation the doctor ordered exercise so I got him a Schwinn Recumbent programmable exercise machine and that should help him. But pretending that even that machine which does have feedback and can show heart rate and power output honestly could produce pro-level riders is stupid.

Have a happy new years filled with riding and having a great time.

Solo ride tonight around the hood. 11.6 miles at 16.0 average speed. Gina thought it was too cold to ride but I felt rather warm, slacker! :p

DSCN0559.JPG

Solo ride tonight around the hood. 11.6 miles at 16.0 average speed. Gina thought it was too cold to ride but I felt rather warm, slacker! :p

View attachment 3410
I had written a new string. It disappeared so I must have made some sort of insulting remark in it. I did say that you ought to be riding with a cape and a large red S on your jersey. Conditions around here have been too nasty for me to ride in. There have been a couple of days in the last month that you could have forced yourself to ride in low 40 degree weather but I can't see the point in that. Riding is supposed to be fun and not something to dread.

I had written a new string. It disappeared so I must have made some sort of insulting remark in it. I did say that you ought to be riding with a cape and a large red S on your jersey. Conditions around here have been too nasty for me to ride in. There have been a couple of days in the last month that you could have forced yourself to ride in low 40 degree weather but I can't see the point in that. Riding is supposed to be fun and not something to dread.

Ha ha ha I have fun! Fortunately we don't have too much bad weather out here. But if we did, I think I would ride anyway looking for adventure. I have a buddy who laughs and says he can never just get in a good ole ride with me, always has to be in adverse weather. 50 mph winds, rain, snow, or cold night rides.

We rode up Glendora Mtn Rd at night, 39 degrees. The 8 mile 2300 ft climb warmed me up but was freezing on the DH.

Then once we did the same ride on a day with rain in the forecast looking for rain. Actually found snow. Light snow but it was snow. I had small snowflakes on my glasses but they melt before one can snap a pic so it's not all that bad. The worst was some hard hail that same ride on the DH. OUCH! Freezing cold and painful. :D

112410C.jpg
021911a.jpg

A little image from the video once the hail started. Within seconds it was covered with ice. But I have fun!

000hail.JPG

Last edited:
I can't crack down on Gina too much, she is a trooper. She will ride in 100+ temps (did a century in heat) and will ride when there is a chance of rain and cold. She actually prefers the cold. I will get her out tonight.

This was a day we knew it would more than likely rain and it did.

That's her in the red. She actually was wearing the blue but the other gal (hidden behind Gina) didn't bring a jacket so she gave her the blue one, Gina took my red jacket and I went without. :D

013016O.jpg

As promised! 11.7 miles around the hood at 15.0 cruising speed. Felt a bit chilly tonight, not too bad but the grass was looking a bit frosty. :D

DSCN0563.JPG

20.88 miles at and average speed of 13.6. For about 20 minutes I was riding into a 10 mph wind. Just using my average speed this calculates out to 200 watts. Not bad for a 74 year old that hasn't ridden in a month and it was colder than hell and I was overheating with a lot of thermal clothing on.

40 miles at 15.6 average speed. Good fun ride with Gina today on the singles. Slow average but a good headwind and the chilly breeze and dense air made a good little workout. Worried about Gina as she has not ridden much, we did 35, got back to the start but I was able to talk her into another 2.5 to make an even 40/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/yiE7WQySC8Q
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

011319A.JPG

35 miles at 16.3 average speed. I stayed at the front the entire ride to set a pace for Gina cause my ride partners suck! :D

011919D.JPG

Started out with a group, they said for me to take the lead after awhile so I was riding along at their normal miserable slow pace. I didn't see anyone behind me so I stopped to wait. Then I saw them taking a different route. Some joke. They go to the same place but that irritated me enough that I decided to go in the opposite direction. That meant going down 15 miles of gravel on my street bike. Because of the rain they had dumped new gravel most of the way. I was running my tubeless tires so I didn't have to worry about flats but holy cow was that heavy going. I finally got to the end of that trail and I took a turn up through the Industrial area. As I got back away from the traffic noise I could hear that the front derailleur had also been dragging so not only did I have the gravel but the dragging derailleur. Trimming that and my legs shouted THANK YOU.

Threading my way through all of the industrial areas, what California has done to it's industry is pitiful. Every other building is "space available" as companies are pulling out of California a mile a minute because of taxes and regulations that help no one. The cost of living is so high that it was demonstrated as I hit the main street and found a coffee shop - a bear claw and small cup of coffee cost over $5. Most of the places are like that now.

From that coffee shop I took back streets because of heavy and very rude traffic. I was really feeling tired as I arrived home with only 26 miles.

Started out with a group, they said for me to take the lead after awhile so I was riding along at their normal miserable slow pace............................................................................................................. coffee shop - a bear claw and small cup of coffee cost over $5. Most of the places are like that now.

I hate the miserable slow pace and chit chat. I've had a few temporary ride partners start pointing out birds and talking recipes, financial investments etc. Drives me crazy. I hate chatting while riding. I like to ride, get to where I am going, then we can chat. Just ride with some effort. When they chat and try to slow us down to a miserable pace, I lift the pace so that they don't have the breath to talk. :D

If you are talking a bear claw and a coffee, that is a freaking bargain! Around here, the coffee alone is $5. :mad:

HOLY COW! 35 yesterday then went to Mom's to move some heavy furniture. Super heavy couch, brother and I carried it about 40 yards. He almost passed out and he is not a small guy either. Thank goodness he popped before me cause I was close to saying uncle ha ha! Not a good thing to move furniture after a 35 miler.

But Sunday I woke up and decided to do a local 12 miles or so. Averaged 16.1 speed but my legs were really tight after the first 6. Gina opted to stay in bed after an evening of helping us move Mom's furniture. :D

20190120_123909.jpg
20190120_124305.jpg

This is crazy! My 14 year old grandson is 3 inches taller than I am already. How much more will he grow? I am 6'1 and he is 6'4 at 14 years old. :eek:

20190119_201800.jpg