Did You Ride Today?

Woke up Saturday morning with the intent of doing a ride. But I had no intentions of riding with the group I used to since they seemed to think it was funny to put me out in the lead and then take a turn off in another direction. They would have ended up at the same point in the end but I think that the third time was the charm and I won't ride with them anymore.

But I decided that there was a 25 mile ride that was interesting since it had a little climbing and it was short enough that the cold wouldn't completely freeze me. While 45 degrees isn't all that cold over most of the country, in San Francisco we sure as hell could use some more of that phony global warming.

In any case it is all city riding up to the base of Cull Canyon which dead ends at the entrance to a nudist colony. So after starting up the Canyon you have to always be aware of the nudists are in a hurry to get their cloths off. I assume that they have a warm building. But one time in disbelief of the rumor of a nudist colony I rode in there until I reached a sign that said, "No Clothing Beyond This Point". (Shiver)

Not only were there a lot of traffic heading in, but they were mostly large "manly" pickups. Now there is farming, a winery and horse ranches on the way in, the trucks in those areas are normally 1/2 tonners and often 4 passenger. Not the huge 3/4 tonners with no hitches on them. And often clean as a whistle snow tires, reverse rims and jacked up body.

I hit the top 13.6 miles from my home. I rested only about a minute. When you first start doing Cull Canyon you get the idea that it is uphill both ways mostly because a large part of it is rollers mostly up going into the canyon and then when coming out and you are tired the ups seem to get to you. But I'm well past that stage and the way out seemed all downhill and I was riding mostly around 25 on the way out.

During Obama most of the horse disappeared and those that hadn't all looked like walking skeletons. Now there are a lot of horses again like there were during the Reagan years and they all look fat, sassy and healthy. There are a couple of horse crossings that I always slow down for because not every horseman looks in both directions while trotting across the road.

Finally getting home it was sure good to get out of that cold wind. Though after Cull Canyon it was fighting traffic all the way that didn't want to give you your right-of-way. Either they would pull out in front of you so that you had to slam on your breaks or when you came to a complete stop at a stop sign to allow other traffic right-of-way they would wave you through which is EXTREMELY dangerous since other traffic then may not take their turns. I still have injuries because of that.

Got home with almost 27 miles and almost 1100 feet of climbing. For the year I still have a tad less than 300 miles and less than 7200 feet of climbing which in a normal year I could do in four rides. So it ain't my imagination that it has been cold and rainy.

I figured that I'd add a photo from yesterday as I stopped along the bay in Alameda. You can see the San Francisco span of the Oakland/San Francisco Bay Bridge that was built in 1936. That was 8 years before I was born but even as a little kid when we would go to San Francisco to visit aunts and uncles, we would take the car ferry because it was cheaper than the bridge toll. Hell if you bike it is still cheaper to take the ferry than to drive across a bridge that is going to be $7 toll.
Colnago3.JPG

I'd love to say I did - the weather here in Denver is warming fast! Bought a new bike, shop should be getting me in today for a bike fit. Unfortunately I gave my old helmet away, and the new one just cleared customs in SF. Oh well, its helping me ramp up the excitement level! This will be my first Di2 equipped bike, I had a 2011 Litespeed Archon C3 since '12....new bike is a Specialized Roubaix Comp.....and I foresee one long, fun Spring/Summer/Fall season! Also a new member here...miss the old Bicycling forums...that said, they all have pros/cons. I just try to stay off the radar somewhat so the trolls play with someone else :)

Not too many trolls around anymore. Nice and warm here now also but too many wet days. Saturday was good but Sunday too wet for my standards.

Reactions: zipp2001 and steve
Third ride this week. Need to build more base miles if I am ever going to get close to where I was a couple of years ago

Not too many trolls around anymore. Nice and warm here now also but too many wet days. Saturday was good but Sunday too wet for my standards.

All it seems to do is rain, 21 days of rain in April and May isn't any better so far.

Decided to roll out from work and head to the bike shop and a quick 23 mile ride. Got to wear the new cycling shoes I picked up last week. Didn't notice they were there so that's a good thing, and I really like the retention system.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCH6pCPnQjw

Well, last week a 46 miler with a couple of buds, 18.2 average speed. I was tired after the ride but happy as it has been my longest ride in some time. Rode my old 1998 Cannondale CAD3. Still love this bike.
DSCN1669.JPG
DSCN1677.JPG

This Saturday was a solo 50 mile ride. windy so I was happy with the 16.2 average speed when my Garmin battery died at 41 miles, basturd! Wearing my Fat ******* jersey ha ha! Of course the Garmin died while doing the final 10 mile stretch with the tailwind so it should have been better, that sucks! :D
DSCN1692.JPG

I got this jersey online for $24. Had a $5 giftcard so I got a second and gave it to my fat ******* buddy. :p Looks like a pretty legit team now!

DSCN1627.JPG

Today, Sunday, finally got Gina back on the bike after almost 3 months off. A year off before that. 2 sons on dialysis, one had a major stroke last year, the other passed away back in May. My Dad last August. Over the last year, lost 10 family members so it's been a rough year. Not to mention the several years before that with Gina's sons. But hey, we keep trying!

So today was a good thing doing a short but sweet 26 miler.

Anxiously awaiting the start of the ride.

DSCN1694.JPG

Doesn't she look excited to be on the bike again?

DSCN1697.JPG

Drunk ******* jersey. It's for laughs, I consume the equivalent of maybe one beer every 15 years. Just never liked alcohol or acquired a taste. I just wear the jersey ha ha!

DSCN1698.JPG

It made it to around 60 degrees late yesterday so I took advantage of the rare dry weather and got it a short ride. The water table is so high water is still running across the road in some areas. It is back to rain today. Really sick of the wet.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Man, what a bunch of BS! I have to schedule rides accordingly. Today another funeral and I planned to be the driver for a few family members taking them as the forecast said 70% chance of rain today. So I sit out the ride and make other plans. I'd much rather ride than see dead people.

But today, the 70% chance looks more like 5%. Now I missed a ride because the weatherman sucks! :D

Hope for 60 tomorrow with a 3% chance. Of course it will probably rain cats and dogs! :mad:

Man, what a bunch of BS! I have to schedule rides accordingly. Today another funeral and I planned to be the driver for a few family members taking them as the forecast said 70% chance of rain today. So I sit out the ride and make other plans. I'd much rather ride than see dead people.

But today, the 70% chance looks more like 5%. Now I missed a ride because the weatherman sucks! :D

Hope for 60 tomorrow with a 3% chance. Of course it will probably rain cats and dogs! :mad:

I think that a person that dies without consideration of others is a very selfish act.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Wanted to ride my bike so out at 9:00 PM it is! Busy schedule caring for Mom so I have to find something that works for me being able to slip away. May be more night rides. So tonight I went and rode around the neighborhood where we used to live. Lot less traffic. As I have said many times, the biggest threat for me is not vehicular traffic, but other cyclist.

17.5 Miles at 16.8 average speed. Sure felt good getting out though.

No, I am not anti cyclist, I am anti STUPID. Riding in the bike lane, coming around a turn, another cyclist, nice road bike, coming around the blind turn with a cheesy blinking red light as a headlight. Good thing I have lights! Beautiful bike lanes on both sides of the road, WTH!

Wore my spiders hoping it would keep stupid people away from me. didn't help! :D

DSCN1708.JPG

Cockpit

DSCN1715.JPG

Lights, one straight ahead, the other down on the road.

DSCN1722.JPG

After the ride posing session. :p

DSCN1727.JPG

Action shot

DSCN1730.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001
Yes! 13 mile climb with 3,133 ft gain. 26 roundtrip, most of the climbing on the way out. But who in the heck put uphills on the downhill? :mad:

But a nice day. The weather sure changes quick up there. 10 miles up sunny and 70 degrees. One mile later, dark and 61 degrees. I was just hoping I would not get any rain so I'm good.

00GMR1.JPG
DSCN1731.JPG
DSCN1738.JPG
DSCN1744.JPG

Fat *******! Wait a second, that's me ha ha!

DSCN1751.JPG
DSCN1752.JPG
DSCN1755.JPG

I put this one up after the glove thread. Too much talk about pretty gloves. Ya don't got to be pretty or soft to ride a bike, just ride ha ha!

DSCN1761.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001