Did You Ride Today?

I did today! Me and two friends put down a few KM's until it started snowing wtf is that non-sense.
So it was back to the garage for some rock and roll music, ketchup flavored potato chips and Amsterdam twice as mad tom IPA.
Bikes are clean, brains a little foggy.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
53 degrees and it rained all day so I hit the trainer. No. I do not have a poncho. Not a Mexican poncho or even a Sear's poncho.

You know you're in Ohio when you're alternating easy road days with hard trainer sessions. Boring as Hell, but kick ass workouts. 1 hour of mind-numbing, leg searing, lung burning pain with the tunes cranked to headache inducing level. A taxiing 747 emits less decibels than my Sennheiser's!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
did today! Me and two friends put down a few KM's until it started snowing wtf is that non-sense.
So it was back to the garage for some rock and roll music, ketchup flavored potato chips and Amsterdam twice as mad tom IPA.
Bikes are clean, brains a little foggy.

Muskoka Brewery? Dose Canadians...dey know how to brew beer, eh?!

When the weather sucks, it's always time to party!

I've only been doing short runs lately, the bike has been in the shop. I turn 30 this year and did a faster mile time than I could 10 years ago. I hit a pr, 6min:13sec for a mile and 1.9 miles in 12min 31sec. I got the bike back today and hopefully the weather and work schedule will cooperate.

Muskoka Brewery? Dose Canadians...dey know how to brew beer, eh?!

When the weather sucks, it's always time to party!

Someone knows his beer!
I went and re-read what I wrote and boy did I screw that up.
Today's garage check shows we enjoys a variety of beverages.
Most of which were either from the Amsterdam Brewery or the Muskoka brewery.

We know a few things about beer. The craft scene south of the border is simply awe inspiring though.
Except in Florida for some reason, can't find a decent Florida beer to save my life.

The craft scene south of the border is simply awe inspiring though.

Try Cleveland. The beer is pretty decent. The area South of Cleveland (Akron and Canton) offer some quality brews. The entire Ohio and Pennsylvania area have a long history of brewing, form smaller brands to micro so we come by it honestly.

My first 'real' racing bike was a used 1973 Peugeot PY-10 (don't let the online historians confuse you...they existed in 1973) I bought in Peterborough while at the Canadian Grand Prix F1 at Mosport. Later in life I imported Gardin bikes from Toronto/Mississauga. I drank some good brew up there when I was a young man.

I still have several Gardin road bikes and still use my Gardin track bike on the road and the rollers/fluid trainer.

002-5.jpg

Try Cleveland. The beer is pretty decent. The area South of Cleveland (Akron and Canton) offer some quality brews. The entire Ohio and Pennsylvania area have a long history of brewing, form smaller brands to micro so we come by it honestly.

My first 'real' racing bike was a used 1973 Peugeot PY-10 (don't let the online historians confuse you...they existed in 1973) I bought in Peterborough while at the Canadian Grand Prix F1 at Mosport. Later in life I imported Gardin bikes from Toronto/Mississauga. I drank some good brew up there when I was a young man.

I still have several Gardin road bikes and still use my Gardin track bike on the road and the rollers/fluid trainer.

002-5.jpg

Oh yes I remember you talking about you bike dealing days up here.
Would love to get my hands on a classic like that!

Are they are to find parts for now a days?

Joe Gardin Jr. committed suicide a number of years ago. His father died four or five years ago and the business has been closed for many years. They were up on North Bloor Street in Toronto IIRC and the factory in which the bikes were built was in Mississauga. Part for both the old Peugeots and Gardins have to be sourced from collectors and eBay sellers, primarily. NOS Campagnolo and French Simplex/Huret/Pivo/Atom/etc. parts are getting a bit difficult to find, but persistence usually turns up what a rebuilder or restorer needs.

Georgio Ferrari was Gardin's frame builder and I do not know what became of him after Gardin folded. Jaime was Joe Gardin sr.'s son-in-law and he managed the factory and import end of the business while Joe and Joe Jr. managed the retail store. I also lost contact with Jaime.

They were all pretty good folks. The Gardin's were caught up in some sort of faking scam in which Reynolds 531 and Columbus SL and SLX decals were applied to frames built with lesser grades of tubing. Once discovered, their reputation was lost and sales nose dived. I don't think the business ever fully recovered from that mess.

A much younger me (30 years ago!) racing one of the Gardins. This one is a Columbus SL frame built with Campagnolo Chorus, sew-ups and an Avocet computer. The seat was a Selle San Marco Concor Profile Cx, bars and stem were Cinelli, of course..

1990%20nelsonville%20bricks_zps85jkjkfu.jpg

Mr. B. would be proud of my long sleeves...those bricks were slippery.

Last edited:
I had that model in Cromor (bottom pic), SL and an SLX/TSX mix. I mostly raced the SL.

I also had a black Aelle tube Gardin.

It is difficult keeping then straight...the white and blue Gardin in this pic is actually an SL built in Italy by Battaglin and decaled and sold as a Gardin. The OEM fork, which was damaged in a argument over the right of way with a Newfoundland the size of a calf...the dog won that one!...was an SL aero blade set and I had the replacement fork built with track blades. The seat stays are SL aero profile.

066.jpg

Nte the Italian flag braze-on located at the rear right side of the top tube...backfilled with green and red paint. I used that one for some road and circuit races. Full Campy Record with Superleggera pedals, Cinelli and it reeks of red wine and pasta.

Reactions: zipp2001
If you add in what I've sold off, wrapped around cars, dogs and street furniture there might be a dozen or so more.
upload_2016-4-12_14-22-7.png

With a few more on film someplace...
upload_2016-4-12_14-22-47.png

I've got two identical of this model/paint..I think I have a pic on my hard drive with both of them together.
upload_2016-4-12_14-23-25.png

upload_2016-4-12_14-23-54.png

upload_2016-4-12_14-25-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-12_14-18-49.png
    upload_2016-4-12_14-18-49.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 9
  • upload_2016-4-12_14-19-22.png
    upload_2016-4-12_14-19-22.png
    768.7 KB · Views: 7
Still have to ride this one for the first time!
upload_2016-4-12_14-28-5.png

A few more at the other house and in the basement to get pics of. And there's my wife's rides...

I would have been all over that already! :D

The wife and cold weather do not mix. I need to screw the second set of Ultegra pedals on the back and see if The Boy Wonder can supply some much needed horsepower. I want him to ride the tandem class of the local TT with me. I know we can set a course record...'if' I can turn that thing around in the width of the road without crashing us!

Just a short 22-mile romp around a fairly hilly course. 1240' of climbing and my legs were feeling yesterday's trainer session.

It was a warmer 45 degrees and the wind was 9 to 13 MPH in bright sunshine. There was a lot of localized flooding after the last two rains. I wanted to do a flatter route to give my legs some recovery, but that way out of my starting location was blocked by a foot of water across the road...and the water was still slowly rising.

No biggee. I headed out spinning with a tail wind and the sun felt really good. I dropped the climbs a gear or two from my normal and just kept the effort under control all the way to the turn around. Then it was head winds and a little more work getting home. Even with the wind and climbs I kept things just a steady cruise. I did get into the 90% zone a couple of times on the two biggest return climbs, but those were just short outputs to get over the hills a little quicker.

The ditches were full of running water and I saw fields under water and streams way out of their beds. We really have not had all that much rain. Maybe that last inch or two of snow Saturday that melted off was all that was needed to assist the rain and flood the area?

Anyway, a nice rain in the sun!