Draft letter to Injury prevention

Dr Curious wrote:

> Whereas using "slowly" or "more slowly", as in the above
> example, it can imply simply driving slower than the speed
> the car is capable of. Which isn't necessarily what was
> intended.

Not unless you are being obtuse. It is clear that it means
more slowly than you were driving and not more slowly than
the maximum possible nor more slowly than the speed of light
nor more slowly than a charging elephant.

Perhaps you should take your curiosity to a text on english
grammar and usage.

Tony

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:43:35 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >How about a more balanced conclusion that still brings
> >out the point that since helmets wont protect from most
> >serious head injuries (since they
arent
> >designed to do this at road traffic accident speeds),
> >reducing the cause
of
> >accidents is a far more effective way of reducing head
> >injuries?
>

> The idea of the final paragraph is to bring home the point
> that the drivers of the vehicles which most of the danger
> on the roads (even those kamikaze kids will likely not die
> unless their path intersects with a motor vehicle) are not
> some nebulous "them", but are the far less nebulous "us".
> Do we sit there crying into our beer because driving
> causes danger, or do we do something about it by reducing
> the danger we ourselves pose, and setting an example?
>
> Guy

To say 'driving causes danger' is meaningless. So does
cycling (even if there were no cars, cycling would be
more dangerous than walking). Are you proposing to ban
driving? If not, then want we need is safer driving *and*
safer cycling, without some paranoid fantasy that all
drivers are bad.

Like it or not, roads are for cars as well as bikes, so the
kamikaze kids (who by the way are also a danger to you and I
and little old ladies when they cycle like that on the
pavements) have to do their bit as well. Why should my
driving be *unreasonably* restricted because the parents and
schools dont teach safe cycling, or perhaps more importantly
dont monitor it afterwards. I stick to the speed limit on
that road (in fact its almost impossible not to) so the
issue isnt speed unless you propose everyone do 5mph, its
the lunatic kids. In other areas, its the lunatic drivers,
hence my point about both drivers and cyclists needing to
drive more carefully..that encompasses speed but much more.

Certainly we should reduce the danger we pose, but the
danger can only be reduced to a certain level. Simply
equating danger with speed is facile, re your comments
about needing to slow down when you dont know the people
you are talking about and how fast and in what way they
drive. They may be like that old guy in the US (seen on
video a year or so ago) who ploughed into a crowded
pedestianised area and kept on going. He was driving quite
slowly (so apparently satisfied your criteria to drive
slower) unfortunately he didnt stop or take action to move
out of the way of the people.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:00:08 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]>:

>To say 'driving causes danger' is meaningless. So does
>cycling (even if there were no cars, cycling would be more
>dangerous than walking).

Motor traffic results in 10% of hospitalisations (i.e. other
things are dangerous too), but 50% of fatalities (i.e. the
other things are much less dangerous than motor traffic).
Seems clear enough to me.

>Are you proposing to ban driving? If not, then want we need
>is safer driving *and* safer cycling, without some paranoid
>fantasy that all drivers are bad.

The point I'm making, and I thnk it is pretty clear, is that
focusing on injury mitigaiton for a small subset of injuries
of a small subset of victims is a poor way of reducing
injury, when a reduction at source would impact on all
injuries of a much wider set of victims. Offroad cycling
seems not to be extraordinarily dangerous, barely on the
radar as a source of risk; the serious accidents mostly seem
to happen on road, and almost all of the fatal ones involve
motor traffic. The number of people killed and injured by
cyclists is tiny, even though a lot of cyclists use
pedestrian facilities which are not designed for them. In
the Netherlands cyclists are appallingly undisciplined and
the same remains true. The danger arrives with the first
motor vehicle.

Of course we make compromises, like restricting pedestrians
to footways and requiring traffic to act in a more or less
homogeneous way. Stunt riding on the road is selfish. It
also involves no higher risk than doing the same thing on a
hard play area /unless there is a motor vehicle around/.
The compromises are almost all made for the benefit of
motorised traffic. Restricting pedestrians to footways,
blaming them for thier own misfortune if they are off the
footway, requiring them to defer to motor traffic before
venturing off the footway to get to the other side of the
road - that is not for their benefit. It's to allow the
drivers to proceed at more than walking pace without
killing too many people.

>Like it or not, roads are for cars as well as bikes, so the
>kamikaze kids (who by the way are also a danger to you and
>I and little old ladies when they cycle like that on the
>pavements) have to do their bit as well.

Of course - they're kids, behaving like kids. Look at the
fatality rate of young male drivers and motorcyclists! It's
hardly a surprise to find risk-taking behaviour exhibited by
young males.

You want me to dilute and possibly lose the point I'm trying
to make in order to draw in a minority case which I haven't
even observed. No, thanks. Most of the dead cyclists are
adults, and most of them are not to blame for their own
downfall. It is safe to say that fewer cycliusts would be
killed and injured if driver behaviour was modified, and if
cyclists helped the drivers modify their behaviour by riding
according to the principles we know and love. Both these
points I make. Suggesting that childrens' injuries could be
reduced if children stopped behaving like children adds
nothing to that argument.

>Why should my driving be *unreasonably* restricted because
>the parents and schools dont teach safe cycling, or perhaps
>more importantly dont monitor it afterwards.

Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is
*unreasonable?*

Ahat's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an area
where kids play at a speed higher than will allow you to
cope with kids playing?

>I stick to the speed limit on that road (in fact its almost
>impossible not to) so the issue isnt speed unless you
>propose everyone do 5mph, its the lunatic kids. In other
>areas, its the lunatic drivers, hence my point about both
>drivers and cyclists needing to drive more carefully..that
>encompasses speed but much more. Certainly we should reduce
>the danger we pose, but the danger can only be reduced to a
>certain level.

That is the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced
to a certain level, with the implication that the level is
not much lower than the current level. But the vast majority
of illegal acts by drivers are never challenged or punished.
Most acts of careless driving go unpunished, so we are
incensed when the only ones which do get punished are those
which end in death - and are still treated as the technical
offence rather than as a violent crime.

>Simply equating danger with speed is facile, re your
>comments about needing to slow down when you dont know the
>people you are talking about and how fast and in what way
>they drive. They may be like that old guy in the US (seen
>on video a year or so ago) who ploughed into a crowded
>pedestianised area and kept on going. He was driving quite
>slowly (so apparently satisfied your criteria to drive
>slower) unfortunately he didnt stop or take action to move
>out of the way of the people.

You are reading far, far too much into one sentence. The
comment is: if you really care about children's safety, slow
down and drive more carefully. That is a very short
sentence. If you wnt me to expand it into a treatise on the
relationship between speed, fataality,careless driving,
child behaviour - well, you're not going to get it.

Your example fails because the sentence also contains "and
drive more carefully".

But what you are actually trying to say, unless I'm much
mistaken, is that "speed doesn't kill". And that's not going
in either. Excessive speed (mitigated by "slow down") is
responsible for a third of crashes and is a necessary
subsidiary cause of many more. The probability of fatality
rises with the fourth power of speed. There is no possible
doubt that, all other things being equal, if everybody drove
slower there would be fewer deaths on the roads.

All of which is very interesting but tangential to the
point, which is that safety is not a matter of making the
victims wear protective equipment, it's a matter of
everybody working to minimise danger, particularly those who
are bringing the most danger in the first place.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On 19/6/04 9:00 pm, in article [email protected],
"Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote:

> roads are for cars as well as bikes,

No no no..

Roads are for people. Garages are for cars. Bike racks are
for bikes. Roads are for people.

Everyone has RIGHT to use the road. We are permitted to take
certain dangerous objects with us under license (firearms,
motor vehicles, radioactive waste etc) but other things we
have a right to take (parcels, baby buggies) as long as we
obey the rules laid down ostensibly for the common good (as
the cynics would say for the benefit of the motorist).

..d

Tony Raven wrote:
> Dr Curious wrote:
>>
>> Fair enough. "Slower" here, is presumably a substitute
>> for something on the lines of "at a speed which is slower
>> than you normally do".
>>
>> As a matter of interest is "drive at a slower speed"
>> correct?
>
> Yes because slower is an adjective and it is being used
> correctly to modify the noun speed

nah. speed is higher or lower. the thing that is moving is
faster or slower

pk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Updated draft at <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web-
> /public.nsf/Documents/ip>

You've still got a first person construction that could
easily be removed (My recent analysis of...). If you wanted
to heap more embarassment on their heads then a ref to
cheat and fake, plus their error/my letter, could perhaps
be included.

James
--
If I have seen further than others, it is by treading on the
toes of giants. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> >Why should my driving be *unreasonably* restricted
> >because the parents and schools dont teach safe cycling,
> >or perhaps more importantly dont monitor
it
> >afterwards.
>
> Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is
> *unreasonable?*

Where do I say 'any level'? **You** dont make it at all
clear what level or how that would be
identified/measured/monitored. You want everyone to go
slower, OK, how much slower? Until they have stopped?
Saying 'everyone must go slower' is meaningless. So,
everyone drives 0.001 mph slower, does that now meet what
you propose?

> What's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an
> area where kids play at a speed higher than will allow you
> to cope with kids playing?

I think its unreasonable for kids to play in a busy main
road, same as its unreasonable for them to play on a
building site.

> >I stick to the speed limit on that road (in fact its
> >almost impossible not to) so the issue isnt speed unless
> >you propose everyone do 5mph, its the lunatic kids. In
> >other areas, its the lunatic drivers,
hence
> >my point about both drivers and cyclists needing to drive
> >more carefully..that encompasses speed but much more.
> >Certainly we should reduce the danger we pose, but the
> >danger can only be reduced to a certain level.
>
> That is the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced
> to a certain level, with the implication that the level is
> not much lower than the current level.

You read more into it than I wrote. Though its a fact that
the danger can only be reduced to a certain level unles you
propose a car free society..in which case, there are dozens
of other far more dangerous activities which should be
banned first.

> But the vast majority of illegal acts by drivers are
> never challenged or punished. Most acts of careless
> driving go unpunished, so we are incensed when the only
> ones which do get punished are those which end in death -
> and are still treated as the technical offence rather
> than as a violent crime.

Agreed, I would be wholly in favour of much more draconian
penalties, esp on dangerous driving rather than just
speeding (because its easy to measure) though I'd have no
complaint about the latter as well.

> >Simply equating danger with speed is facile, re your
> >comments about needing to slow down when you dont know
> >the people
you
> >are talking about and how fast and in what way they
> >drive. They may be like that old guy in the US (seen on
> >video a year or so ago) who ploughed into
> >crowded pedestianised area and kept on going. He was
> >driving quite slowly (so apparently satisfied your
> >criteria to drive slower) unfortunately he didnt stop or
> >take action to move out of the way of the people.
>
> You are reading far, far too much into one sentence.
> The comment is: if you really care about children's
> safety, slow down and drive more carefully. That is a
> very short sentence. If you wnt me to expand it into a
> treatise on the relationship between speed,
> fataality,careless driving, child behaviour - well,
> you're not going to get it.

OK, I do that already. But you have said that I should still
'slow down and drive more carefully'..when you dont and
cannot know how carefully I currently drive? If your
proposal is simply that everyone drives slower and slower
then you are essentially proposing banning cars which isnt
going to make your reasoned argument against helmets
sound...reasonable.

> Your example fails because the sentence also contains "and
> drive more carefully".

same again as speed..how can I drive more carefully when I
am driving as carefully as I can ?

> But what you are actually trying to say, unless I'm much
> mistaken, is that "speed doesn't kill". And that's not
> going in either. Excessive speed (mitigated by "slow
> down") is responsible for a third of crashes and is a
> necessary subsidiary cause of many more. The probability
> of fatality rises with the fourth power of speed. There
> is no possible doubt that, all other things being equal,
> if everybody drove slower there would be fewer deaths on
> the roads.
>
> All of which is very interesting but tangential to the
> point, which is that safety is not a matter of making the
> victims wear protective equipment, it's a matter of
> everybody working to minimise danger, particularly those
> who are bringing the most danger in the first place.
>
> Guy

My complaint was that you tarred all the readers of whatever
that paper was with the same brush, without knowing how they
drove already.

tw

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:23:57 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]>:

>> Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is
>> *unreasonable?*

>Where do I say 'any level'? **You** dont make it at all
>clear what level or how that would be
>identified/measured/monitored. You want everyone to go
>slower, OK, how much slower? Until they have stopped?
>Saying 'everyone must go slower' is meaningless. So,
>everyone drives 0.001 mph slower, does that now meet what
>you propose?

You started by assuming that whatever restriction is placed
on driving will necessarily be unreasonable. Why? There is a
lot of history here, you know. The motoring organisations
have opposed every road safety measure, effective or not,
which has affected their members. That includes drink-drive
legislation, speed limits, points on licenses, even the
driving test. But they seem quite happy to support
compulsory helmet use, even though it is known not to work.
So their libertarian views apparently apply only to a small
subset of liberties. And as mentioned lower down, the crash
rate would undoubtedly reduce if people slowed down and
drove more carefully.

>> What's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an
>> area where kids play at a speed higher than will allow
>> you to cope with kids playing?

>I think its unreasonable for kids to play in a busy main
>road, same as its unreasonable for them to play on a
>building site.

So you say. The fact that I have never seen any kids playing
ont he busy main roads around here suggests that this is an
isolated problem where you are, or at the very least a
problem of very small magnitude compared with careless
driving. I spend between one and two hours on the bike most
days, and in that time I see almost no careless cycling and
a very great deal of aggressive, impatient and downright
dangerous driving. Speeding is one of the more obvious
manifestations of this.

>> the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced to a
>> certain level, with the implication that the level is not
>> much lower than the current level.

>You read more into it than I wrote. Though its a fact that
>the danger can only be reduced to a certain level unles you
>propose a car free society..in which case, there are dozens
>of other far more dangerous activities which should be
>banned first.

Really? Half of all child injury deaths are due to motor
traffic. No other cause comes close. In any case, put it in
context: my comment is about the dangers of cycling, and my
point is that it is not cycling which is dangerous, mut
motor traffic. Any measure which seeks to reduce the danger
of cycling by regulating the behaviour of cyclists is pretty
pointless because most of the injuries are not cyclists.

>> But the vast majority of illegal acts by drivers are
>> never challenged or punished. Most acts of careless
>> driving go unpunished, so we are incensed when the only
>> ones which do get punished are those which end in death
>> - and are still treated as the technical offence rather
>> than as a violent crime.

>Agreed, I would be wholly in favour of much more draconian
>penalties, esp on dangerous driving rather than just
>speeding (because its easy to measure) though I'd have no
>complaint about the latter as well.

The letter is about cycling and the real source of danger to
cyclists, which are well documented. You are complaining
about one sentence, right at the very end, which says
effectively that child injuries will be reduced if people
slow down and drive more carefully. That is just about as
uncontroversial as you get! The only people who dissent from
that view are the ABD and Psmith!

Why are you so upset about the idea that drivers should slow
down and drive more carefully?

>> You are reading far, far too much into one sentence.
>> The comment is: if you really care about children's
>> safety, slow down and drive more carefully. That is a
>> very short sentence. If you wnt me to expand it into a
>> treatise on the relationship between speed,
>> fataality,careless driving, child behaviour - well,
>> you're not going to get it.

>OK, I do that already. But you have said that I should
>still 'slow down and drive more carefully'..when you dont
>and cannot know how carefully I currently drive? If your
>proposal is simply that everyone drives slower and slower
>then you are essentially proposing banning cars which isnt
>going to make your reasoned argument against helmets
>sound...reasonable.

You are taking it far, far too personally. If you are
genuinely confident that your speed and driving style are
appropriate for all conditions, you will surely read that
and think, "yes, I have done that,and I am confident that it
has made the roads fractionally safer." What I am keen to
avoid is the usual motorist evasion of thinking that
dangerous drivers are some other drivers, because the
evidence is that this is precisely what people think. Most
drivers overestimate their own skill. Surveys show that they
rate their own skills much more highly than the average of
other drivers. So I don't want to leave them the get-out of
thinking "if only all those other, less skilled drivers
would take more care".

>> Your example fails because the sentence also contains
>> "and drive more carefully".

>same again as speed..how can I drive more carefully when I
>am driving as carefully as I can ?

Fine, but most people are not. And even you may well feel
some nagging doubt, otherwise I can't imagine why you would
get so upset about it.

>My complaint was that you tarred all the readers of
>whatever that paper was with the same brush, without
>knowing how they drove already.

Because it is impossible to go out and survey the entire
readership and then say all those of you who scored less
than 8/10 in this evaluation, slow down and drive mroe
carefully, all the rest carry on as you were. Most (probably
all) drivers could do better, myself included. It is a
challenge to all of us.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Just zis Guy, you know? posted:

> - the risk of head injury in offroad cycling is an order
> of magnitude lower than in road cycling;

Heheheh, and yet I prefer to wear a helmet off-road, and to
not wear one on-road .. while also suggesting my kids do the
same .. ;)

Perception of danger is a strange thing, I guess.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:57:26 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>> Dr Curious wrote:
>>>
>>> Fair enough. "Slower" here, is presumably a substitute
>>> for something on the lines of "at a speed which is
>>> slower than you normally do".
>>>
>>> As a matter of interest is "drive at a slower speed"
>>> correct?
>>
>> Yes because slower is an adjective and it is being used
>> correctly to modify the noun speed
>

>nah. speed is higher or lower. the thing that is moving is
>faster or slower

Correct.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

<[email protected]>:

>> - the risk of head injury in offroad cycling is an order
>> of magnitude lower than in road cycling;

>Heheheh, and yet I prefer to wear a helmet off-road, and to
>not wear one on-road .. while also suggesting my kids do
>the same .. ;)

It's another example of the range of activities encompassed.
Off road riding includes everything from a trundle round the
park to extreme downhill inna MBUK stylee.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> - fundamentally, most of those campaigning for helmets are
> not cyclists and have little understanding of the vast
> range of different activities and scales of risk which
> that term encompasses - it is as if all outdoor activity
> from afternoon walks in the park to free-climbing were
> considered under a single umbrella.

Very marginal nit pick, and probably not worth correcting.
"Free climbing" is not, as many people assume, climbing
without ropes, but includes climbing with ropes but placing
one's own protection. It's actually pretty safe, for the
most part, as practised by climbers. Pop in "cave diving" or
"extreme skiing" if you want a better chance of death or
injury (respectively)...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382