Draft letter to Injury prevention

Dr Curious wrote:

> Whereas using "slowly" or "more slowly", as in the above example, it
> can imply simply driving slower than the speed the car is capable of.
> Which isn't necessarily what was intended.

Not unless you are being obtuse. It is clear that it means more slowly than
you were driving and not more slowly than the maximum possible nor more slowly
than the speed of light nor more slowly than a charging elephant.

Perhaps you should take your curiosity to a text on english grammar and usage.

Tony

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:43:35 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >How about a more balanced conclusion that still brings out the point that
> >since helmets wont protect from most serious head injuries (since they

arent
> >designed to do this at road traffic accident speeds), reducing the cause

of
> >accidents is a far more effective way of reducing head injuries?

> The idea of the final paragraph is to bring home the point that the
> drivers of the vehicles which most of the danger on the roads (even
> those kamikaze kids will likely not die unless their path intersects
> with a motor vehicle) are not some nebulous "them", but are the far
> less nebulous "us". Do we sit there crying into our beer because
> driving causes danger, or do we do something about it by reducing the
> danger we ourselves pose, and setting an example?
>
> Guy

To say 'driving causes danger' is meaningless. So does cycling (even if
there were no cars, cycling would be more dangerous than walking). Are you
proposing to ban driving? If not, then want we need is safer driving *and*
safer cycling, without some paranoid fantasy that all drivers are bad.

Like it or not, roads are for cars as well as bikes, so the kamikaze kids
(who by the way are also a danger to you and I and little old ladies when
they cycle like that on the pavements) have to do their bit as well. Why
should my driving be *unreasonably* restricted because the parents and
schools dont teach safe cycling, or perhaps more importantly dont monitor it
afterwards. I stick to the speed limit on that road (in fact its almost
impossible not to) so the issue isnt speed unless you propose everyone do
5mph, its the lunatic kids. In other areas, its the lunatic drivers, hence
my point about both drivers and cyclists needing to drive more
carefully..that encompasses speed but much more.

Certainly we should reduce the danger we pose, but the danger can only be
reduced to a certain level. Simply equating danger with speed is facile, re
your comments about needing to slow down when you dont know the people you
are talking about and how fast and in what way they drive. They may be like
that old guy in the US (seen on video a year or so ago) who ploughed into a
crowded pedestianised area and kept on going. He was driving quite slowly
(so apparently satisfied your criteria to drive slower) unfortunately he
didnt stop or take action to move out of the way of the people.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:00:08 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]>:

>To say 'driving causes danger' is meaningless. So does cycling (even if
>there were no cars, cycling would be more dangerous than walking).

Motor traffic results in 10% of hospitalisations (i.e. other things
are dangerous too), but 50% of fatalities (i.e. the other things are
much less dangerous than motor traffic). Seems clear enough to me.

>Are you
>proposing to ban driving? If not, then want we need is safer driving *and*
>safer cycling, without some paranoid fantasy that all drivers are bad.

The point I'm making, and I thnk it is pretty clear, is that focusing
on injury mitigaiton for a small subset of injuries of a small subset
of victims is a poor way of reducing injury, when a reduction at
source would impact on all injuries of a much wider set of victims.
Offroad cycling seems not to be extraordinarily dangerous, barely on
the radar as a source of risk; the serious accidents mostly seem to
happen on road, and almost all of the fatal ones involve motor
traffic. The number of people killed and injured by cyclists is tiny,
even though a lot of cyclists use pedestrian facilities which are not
designed for them. In the Netherlands cyclists are appallingly
undisciplined and the same remains true. The danger arrives with the
first motor vehicle.

Of course we make compromises, like restricting pedestrians to
footways and requiring traffic to act in a more or less homogeneous
way. Stunt riding on the road is selfish. It also involves no higher
risk than doing the same thing on a hard play area /unless there is a
motor vehicle around/. The compromises are almost all made for the
benefit of motorised traffic. Restricting pedestrians to footways,
blaming them for thier own misfortune if they are off the footway,
requiring them to defer to motor traffic before venturing off the
footway to get to the other side of the road - that is not for their
benefit. It's to allow the drivers to proceed at more than walking
pace without killing too many people.

>Like it or not, roads are for cars as well as bikes, so the kamikaze kids
>(who by the way are also a danger to you and I and little old ladies when
>they cycle like that on the pavements) have to do their bit as well.

Of course - they're kids, behaving like kids. Look at the fatality
rate of young male drivers and motorcyclists! It's hardly a surprise
to find risk-taking behaviour exhibited by young males.

You want me to dilute and possibly lose the point I'm trying to make
in order to draw in a minority case which I haven't even observed.
No, thanks. Most of the dead cyclists are adults, and most of them
are not to blame for their own downfall. It is safe to say that fewer
cycliusts would be killed and injured if driver behaviour was
modified, and if cyclists helped the drivers modify their behaviour by
riding according to the principles we know and love. Both these
points I make. Suggesting that childrens' injuries could be reduced
if children stopped behaving like children adds nothing to that
argument.

>Why
>should my driving be *unreasonably* restricted because the parents and
>schools dont teach safe cycling, or perhaps more importantly dont monitor it
>afterwards.

Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is *unreasonable?*

Ahat's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an area where
kids play at a speed higher than will allow you to cope with kids
playing?

>I stick to the speed limit on that road (in fact its almost
>impossible not to) so the issue isnt speed unless you propose everyone do
>5mph, its the lunatic kids. In other areas, its the lunatic drivers, hence
>my point about both drivers and cyclists needing to drive more
>carefully..that encompasses speed but much more.
>Certainly we should reduce the danger we pose, but the danger can only be
>reduced to a certain level.

That is the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced to a
certain level, with the implication that the level is not much lower
than the current level. But the vast majority of illegal acts by
drivers are never challenged or punished. Most acts of careless
driving go unpunished, so we are incensed when the only ones which do
get punished are those which end in death - and are still treated as
the technical offence rather than as a violent crime.

>Simply equating danger with speed is facile, re
>your comments about needing to slow down when you dont know the people you
>are talking about and how fast and in what way they drive.
>They may be like
>that old guy in the US (seen on video a year or so ago) who ploughed into a
>crowded pedestianised area and kept on going. He was driving quite slowly
>(so apparently satisfied your criteria to drive slower) unfortunately he
>didnt stop or take action to move out of the way of the people.

You are reading far, far too much into one sentence. The comment is:
if you really care about children's safety, slow down and drive more
carefully. That is a very short sentence. If you wnt me to expand it
into a treatise on the relationship between speed, fataality,careless
driving, child behaviour - well, you're not going to get it.

Your example fails because the sentence also contains "and drive more
carefully".

But what you are actually trying to say, unless I'm much mistaken, is
that "speed doesn't kill". And that's not going in either. Excessive
speed (mitigated by "slow down") is responsible for a third of crashes
and is a necessary subsidiary cause of many more. The probability of
fatality rises with the fourth power of speed. There is no possible
doubt that, all other things being equal, if everybody drove slower
there would be fewer deaths on the roads.

All of which is very interesting but tangential to the point, which is
that safety is not a matter of making the victims wear protective
equipment, it's a matter of everybody working to minimise danger,
particularly those who are bringing the most danger in the first
place.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Tony Raven wrote:
> Dr Curious wrote:
>>
>> Fair enough. "Slower" here, is presumably a substitute for something
>> on the lines of "at a speed which is slower than you normally do".
>>
>> As a matter of interest is "drive at a slower speed" correct?

> Yes because slower is an adjective and it is being used correctly to
> modify the noun speed

nah. speed is higher or lower. the thing that is moving is faster or slower

pk

On 19/6/04 9:00 pm, in article [email protected],
"Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote:

> roads are for cars as well as bikes,

No no no..

Roads are for people. Garages are for cars. Bike racks are for bikes. Roads
are for people.

Everyone has RIGHT to use the road. We are permitted to take certain
dangerous objects with us under license (firearms, motor vehicles,
radioactive waste etc) but other things we have a right to take (parcels,
baby buggies) as long as we obey the rules laid down ostensibly for the
common good (as the cynics would say for the benefit of the motorist).

...d

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Updated draft at
> <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/ip>

You've still got a first person construction that could easily be
removed (My recent analysis of...). If you wanted to heap more
embarassment on their heads then a ref to cheat and fake, plus their
error/my letter, could perhaps be included.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

<snip>

> >Why
> >should my driving be *unreasonably* restricted because the parents and
> >schools dont teach safe cycling, or perhaps more importantly dont monitor

it
> >afterwards.

> Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is *unreasonable?*

Where do I say 'any level'? **You** dont make it at all clear what level or
how that would be identified/measured/monitored. You want everyone to go
slower, OK, how much slower? Until they have stopped? Saying 'everyone must
go slower' is meaningless. So, everyone drives 0.001 mph slower, does that
now meet what you propose?

> What's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an area where
> kids play at a speed higher than will allow you to cope with kids
> playing?

I think its unreasonable for kids to play in a busy main road, same as its
unreasonable for them to play on a building site.

> >I stick to the speed limit on that road (in fact its almost
> >impossible not to) so the issue isnt speed unless you propose everyone do
> >5mph, its the lunatic kids. In other areas, its the lunatic drivers,

hence
> >my point about both drivers and cyclists needing to drive more
> >carefully..that encompasses speed but much more.
> >Certainly we should reduce the danger we pose, but the danger can only be
> >reduced to a certain level.

> That is the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced to a
> certain level, with the implication that the level is not much lower
> than the current level.

You read more into it than I wrote. Though its a fact that the danger can
only be reduced to a certain level unles you propose a car free society..in
which case, there are dozens of other far more dangerous activities which
should be banned first.

> But the vast majority of illegal acts by
> drivers are never challenged or punished. Most acts of careless
> driving go unpunished, so we are incensed when the only ones which do
> get punished are those which end in death - and are still treated as
> the technical offence rather than as a violent crime.

Agreed, I would be wholly in favour of much more draconian penalties, esp on
dangerous driving rather than just speeding (because its easy to measure)
though I'd have no complaint about the latter as well.

> >Simply equating danger with speed is facile, re
> >your comments about needing to slow down when you dont know the people

you
> >are talking about and how fast and in what way they drive.
> >They may be like
> >that old guy in the US (seen on video a year or so ago) who ploughed into

> >crowded pedestianised area and kept on going. He was driving quite slowly
> >(so apparently satisfied your criteria to drive slower) unfortunately he
> >didnt stop or take action to move out of the way of the people.

> You are reading far, far too much into one sentence. The comment is:
> if you really care about children's safety, slow down and drive more
> carefully. That is a very short sentence. If you wnt me to expand it
> into a treatise on the relationship between speed, fataality,careless
> driving, child behaviour - well, you're not going to get it.

OK, I do that already. But you have said that I should still 'slow down and
drive more carefully'..when you dont and cannot know how carefully I
currently drive? If your proposal is simply that everyone drives slower and
slower then you are essentially proposing banning cars which isnt going to
make your reasoned argument against helmets sound...reasonable.

> Your example fails because the sentence also contains "and drive more
> carefully".

same again as speed..how can I drive more carefully when I am driving as
carefully as I can ?

> But what you are actually trying to say, unless I'm much mistaken, is
> that "speed doesn't kill". And that's not going in either. Excessive
> speed (mitigated by "slow down") is responsible for a third of crashes
> and is a necessary subsidiary cause of many more. The probability of
> fatality rises with the fourth power of speed. There is no possible
> doubt that, all other things being equal, if everybody drove slower
> there would be fewer deaths on the roads.
>
> All of which is very interesting but tangential to the point, which is
> that safety is not a matter of making the victims wear protective
> equipment, it's a matter of everybody working to minimise danger,
> particularly those who are bringing the most danger in the first
> place.
>
> Guy

My complaint was that you tarred all the readers of whatever that paper was
with the same brush, without knowing how they drove already.

tw

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:23:57 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]>:

>> Amazing, isn't, it how any restriction of driving is *unreasonable?*

>Where do I say 'any level'? **You** dont make it at all clear what level or
>how that would be identified/measured/monitored. You want everyone to go
>slower, OK, how much slower? Until they have stopped? Saying 'everyone must
>go slower' is meaningless. So, everyone drives 0.001 mph slower, does that
>now meet what you propose?

You started by assuming that whatever restriction is placed on driving
will necessarily be unreasonable. Why? There is a lot of history
here, you know. The motoring organisations have opposed every road
safety measure, effective or not, which has affected their members.
That includes drink-drive legislation, speed limits, points on
licenses, even the driving test. But they seem quite happy to support
compulsory helmet use, even though it is known not to work. So their
libertarian views apparently apply only to a small subset of
liberties. And as mentioned lower down, the crash rate would
undoubtedly reduce if people slowed down and drove more carefully.

>> What's *unreasonable* here? Wanting to drive around an area where
>> kids play at a speed higher than will allow you to cope with kids
>> playing?

>I think its unreasonable for kids to play in a busy main road, same as its
>unreasonable for them to play on a building site.

So you say. The fact that I have never seen any kids playing ont he
busy main roads around here suggests that this is an isolated problem
where you are, or at the very least a problem of very small magnitude
compared with careless driving. I spend between one and two hours on
the bike most days, and in that time I see almost no careless cycling
and a very great deal of aggressive, impatient and downright dangerous
driving. Speeding is one of the more obvious manifestations of this.

>> the appeaser's cry. The danger can only be reduced to a
>> certain level, with the implication that the level is not much lower
>> than the current level.

>You read more into it than I wrote. Though its a fact that the danger can
>only be reduced to a certain level unles you propose a car free society..in
>which case, there are dozens of other far more dangerous activities which
>should be banned first.

Really? Half of all child injury deaths are due to motor traffic. No
other cause comes close. In any case, put it in context: my comment
is about the dangers of cycling, and my point is that it is not
cycling which is dangerous, mut motor traffic. Any measure which
seeks to reduce the danger of cycling by regulating the behaviour of
cyclists is pretty pointless because most of the injuries are not
cyclists.

>> But the vast majority of illegal acts by
>> drivers are never challenged or punished. Most acts of careless
>> driving go unpunished, so we are incensed when the only ones which do
>> get punished are those which end in death - and are still treated as
>> the technical offence rather than as a violent crime.

>Agreed, I would be wholly in favour of much more draconian penalties, esp on
>dangerous driving rather than just speeding (because its easy to measure)
>though I'd have no complaint about the latter as well.

The letter is about cycling and the real source of danger to cyclists,
which are well documented. You are complaining about one sentence,
right at the very end, which says effectively that child injuries will
be reduced if people slow down and drive more carefully. That is just
about as uncontroversial as you get! The only people who dissent from
that view are the ABD and Psmith!

Why are you so upset about the idea that drivers should slow down and
drive more carefully?

>> You are reading far, far too much into one sentence. The comment is:
>> if you really care about children's safety, slow down and drive more
>> carefully. That is a very short sentence. If you wnt me to expand it
>> into a treatise on the relationship between speed, fataality,careless
>> driving, child behaviour - well, you're not going to get it.

>OK, I do that already. But you have said that I should still 'slow down and
>drive more carefully'..when you dont and cannot know how carefully I
>currently drive? If your proposal is simply that everyone drives slower and
>slower then you are essentially proposing banning cars which isnt going to
>make your reasoned argument against helmets sound...reasonable.

You are taking it far, far too personally. If you are genuinely
confident that your speed and driving style are appropriate for all
conditions, you will surely read that and think, "yes, I have done
that,and I am confident that it has made the roads fractionally
safer." What I am keen to avoid is the usual motorist evasion of
thinking that dangerous drivers are some other drivers, because the
evidence is that this is precisely what people think. Most drivers
overestimate their own skill. Surveys show that they rate their own
skills much more highly than the average of other drivers. So I don't
want to leave them the get-out of thinking "if only all those other,
less skilled drivers would take more care".

>> Your example fails because the sentence also contains "and drive more
>> carefully".

>same again as speed..how can I drive more carefully when I am driving as
>carefully as I can ?

Fine, but most people are not. And even you may well feel some
nagging doubt, otherwise I can't imagine why you would get so upset
about it.

>My complaint was that you tarred all the readers of whatever that paper was
>with the same brush, without knowing how they drove already.

Because it is impossible to go out and survey the entire readership
and then say all those of you who scored less than 8/10 in this
evaluation, slow down and drive mroe carefully, all the rest carry on
as you were. Most (probably all) drivers could do better, myself
included. It is a challenge to all of us.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:00:08 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

> To say 'driving causes danger' is meaningless. So does cycling (even if
> there were no cars, cycling would be more dangerous than walking).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you SURE about that?
In the context of this discussion, lets see some figures for that.

And as Guy quite rightly says:
'cycling' ranges from cycling around the local park, to road racing in
the Alps. Professional road racing IS dangerous.

'walking' ranges from walking around the local park to climbing mountains

Just zis Guy, you know? posted:

> - the risk of head injury in offroad cycling is an order of magnitude
> lower than in road cycling;

Heheheh, and yet I prefer to wear a helmet off-road, and to not wear one
on-road .. while also suggesting my kids do the same .. ;)

Perception of danger is a strange thing, I guess.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:57:26 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>> Dr Curious wrote:
>>>
>>> Fair enough. "Slower" here, is presumably a substitute for something
>>> on the lines of "at a speed which is slower than you normally do".
>>>
>>> As a matter of interest is "drive at a slower speed" correct?

>> Yes because slower is an adjective and it is being used correctly to
>> modify the noun speed

>nah. speed is higher or lower. the thing that is moving is faster or slower

Correct.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:42:07 +0100, "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]>:

>> - the risk of head injury in offroad cycling is an order of magnitude
>> lower than in road cycling;

>Heheheh, and yet I prefer to wear a helmet off-road, and to not wear one
>on-road .. while also suggesting my kids do the same .. ;)

It's another example of the range of activities encompassed. Off road
riding includes everything from a trundle round the park to extreme
downhill inna MBUK stylee.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> - fundamentally, most of those campaigning for helmets are not
> cyclists and have little understanding of the vast range of different
> activities and scales of risk which that term encompasses - it is as
> if all outdoor activity from afternoon walks in the park to
> free-climbing were considered under a single umbrella.

Very marginal nit pick, and probably not worth correcting. "Free
climbing" is not, as many people assume, climbing without ropes, but
includes climbing with ropes but placing one's own protection. It's
actually pretty safe, for the most part, as practised by climbers. Pop
in "cave diving" or "extreme skiing" if you want a better chance of
death or injury (respectively)...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK