I Wonder, Besides English, Do You Speak Another Language?

mareblu said:
das ist es?
ich dachte, daß Sie mehr Material mit uns teilen können hier :confused: ;)
Der "Tschuss" war nur fur gestern. I komme hier am cycling forums fast jeden Tag. :)

Speak fluent English and Ukrainian.

Can speak French a little bit and I have the extreme basics in German, e.g I would like to get some bread and cheese and i am 17, im called johan etc and most importantly do you speak english!

Spanish i know even less, just about can manage - please, thankyou and the odd insult, burro the only one i am going to put down!:)

I'm an American, but I speak English fairly well (sometimes)! I also speak bike mechanic. Like English, but with more cursing! :D
Seriously, though, I have been to many other countries and I love experiencing other cultures. I took a year of Spanish in high school and have picked up a smattering of other languages here and there, but I just don't seem to have the "knack" for learning languages. I think some people pick uo languages fairly easily, while others struggle. My wife speaks fluent Spanish. My mom speaks some Bohemian, but my grandfather , who was seven when he came to the States, didn't permit it spoken in his house. From conversations with older people this was a very common thing. People were so proud to come here and assimilate into society that many people just stopped speaking their native tongue. I know it wasn't my culture at the time, so I have no idea what these people felt, but to me this is a very sad thing. My uncle and German aunt regret to this day not teaching their children German from a very early age, when it would have been so easy to raise bilingual kids.

Special ed said:
I'm an American, but I speak English fairly well (sometimes)! I also speak bike mechanic. Like English, but with more cursing! :D
Seriously, though, I have been to many other countries and I love experiencing other cultures. I took a year of Spanish in high school and have picked up a smattering of other languages here and there, but I just don't seem to have the "knack" for learning languages. I think some people pick uo languages fairly easily, while others struggle. My wife speaks fluent Spanish. My mom speaks some Bohemian, but my grandfather , who was seven when he came to the States, didn't permit it spoken in his house. From conversations with older people this was a very common thing. People were so proud to come here and assimilate into society that many people just stopped speaking their native tongue. I know it wasn't my culture at the time, so I have no idea what these people felt, but to me this is a very sad thing. My uncle and German aunt regret to this day not teaching their children German from a very early age, when it would have been so easy to raise bilingual kids.

it's never late to start practicing...and, learning! ;)

I speak geek as well as English, and am quite fluent in C++ and Java. Witness this little class structure:

#include "finecycle.h"

class Cyclist:public Human
{
virtual void Ride();
virtual void Rest();
};

class GTCyclist(): public Cyclist
{
virtual void Ride()
{
HangInPeloton();
ChaseBreakaway();
if (GetStrength() < 0)
{
Bonk();
}
ReachFinishLine();
VisitDopingControl(UrineSample);
if (UrineSample.IsPositive())
{
DenyDenyDeny();
BlameNationalism();
RetireOnFatBankAccount();
}
}
virtual void Rest()
{
VisitDopingDoctor();
if (DopingDoctor.GetName() == Fuentes)
{
CrapInShorts();
}
}
};

There, that wasn't so hard to understand.

See, this is where I get in trouble at work, because I live in Texas, everyone thinks you need to take Spanish in school. I can't seem to speak English correctly half the time, so I took Sign Language, and am fluent in that.

It's come in handy a lot, and not just the cursing!

I also speak a little Romanian and am learning Croatian. I'm great with European languages, but man, you give me the one on the border here, and I will ultimately curse someone out while trying to say "Let me have your arm, I'm drawing blood."

:)

GERARDO said:
Because this is an international forum, and because some of us dream of going to do road or MTB biking in another foreing country, I want to ask you if some of you speak more than one language.

My mother tongue is spanish, I write and speak english (I think so ;) ) and now I'm learning french and I think I'm doing pretty good. In the future I want to learn Italian..... or maybe German.

Well, let's hear your answers
My mother tongue is French and I am fluent with English. I can speak enough of the following languages to have a simple conversation: German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and a little bit of Turkish. I am presently learning the Mohawk language, a first nations language in North America.

Cheers,
Ronald

Ich scpreche sehr schlecht Deutsch. Du verdest einen kranchen schwester brauchen, sich in acht nehmen von die fliegend affen!