Kerry's flat tires

Art Harris

Guest
John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd

I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!

"Harris" Poll:

Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?

Would you think more of a candidate who fixed his own flats?

Which candidate do you think is a better bike mechanic?

How will the above affect who you vote for?

Art Harris

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:15:42 -0700, Art Harris wrote:

> Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?
>
> Would you think more of a candidate who fixed his own flats?

A good presidential candidate would avoid getting flats altogether by
using better tires and judgment. :p ;)

I bet he's running 20s at 120 psi on that Serotta--I'd be more likely to
vote for a guy running at least 25s considering his stature, with kevlar
belts. That would indicate someone who's sporty yet cautious.

That said, not carrying a spare wheel when you've got the dough and a
support cast is pretty silly.

Fixing the flat would indeed impress me, but only if he patched the tube,
not replaced it. Symbolism dontcha know.

:D

Art Harris wrote:

> John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
> Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>
> I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
> side of the road.

He fixed the first flat on the road, by himself. When he got the
second flat, he was out of spare tubes, so someone else on the ride
stepped in. ISTR that the rim tape needed replacing, which required
the trip to the LBS.

Futher trivia from the LBS trip: Kerry travels with a steel Serotta,
Campy Chorus, DuraAce pedals, Open Pro wheels.

[email protected] (Art Harris) writes:

> How will the above affect who you vote for?

Cyclists are great people 'n all, but I don't think
any of us belong in politics. I mean, just look at
some of the goings-on here in this ng <g>

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
> Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>
> See:
> http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd
>
> I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
> side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
> on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!
>
> "Harris" Poll:
>
> Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?

I can just see it now, a big black limo with a spare bike and wheels
strapped to the top.

> Would you think more of a candidate who fixed his own flats?

Only if there were no camera present.

> Which candidate do you think is a better bike mechanic?

Neither, they both are idiots

> How will the above affect who you vote for?

Not at all.

> Art Harris

He probably picked up some glass riding around the parking lot trying to
stay in front of the camera.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:43:49 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Art Harris wrote:
>
>> John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>> Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>>
>> I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
>> side of the road.

>He fixed the first flat on the road, by himself. When he got the
>second flat, he was out of spare tubes, so someone else on the ride
>stepped in. ISTR that the rim tape needed replacing, which required
>the trip to the LBS.

Reasonable. I carry 1 spare tube and a patch kit. When confronted with
a flat I will use the tube. If I get another flat, well, that's what
the patch kit is for.

Then I go home and fix the tube. But just the other day I had a leak
right by the value, where it attaches to the tube. That likely could
not have been fixed with a patch.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:46:45 -0500, "di" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>> Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>>
>> See:
>> http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd
>>
>> I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
>> side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
>> on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!
>>
>> "Harris" Poll:
>>
>> Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?

>I can just see it now, a big black limo with a spare bike and wheels
>strapped to the top.
>

>> Would you think more of a candidate who fixed his own flats?

>Only if there were no camera present.
>

>> Which candidate do you think is a better bike mechanic?

>Neither, they both are idiots
>

>> How will the above affect who you vote for?

>Not at all.
>

>> Art Harris

>He probably picked up some glass riding around the parking lot trying to
>stay in front of the camera.

I think you're wrong. Of course this is a photo opportunity. We have a
nation filled with stupid **** tube watching slobs. Not meaning to
insult the more active and intelligent slobs, such as myself. Nor the
actual thinking people who are not slobs.

Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
politics in order to make things better. I was listening to a bit of a
speech just given by Gore, and I was thinking that it's too bad that
he wasn't like this when he was running for President. But that was
the key. They all run safe. Keep to the middle. Don't anger anyone.
Get it out in a ten second soundbite. Don't speak too long because
your audience has the attention span of a low grade moron.

Don't examine multiple sides of an issue. We need steadfast
leadership, even if it is wrong.

The fact that people think there is no difference between these two
scares the hell out of me. The fact that anyone is voting for Bush
scares me even more.

On 21 Oct 2004 07:15:42 -0700, [email protected] (Art Harris) wrote:

>John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.

last time he was here he had flats too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2004 07:15:42 -0700, [email protected] (Art Harris) wrote:
>
>> John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>> Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.

> last time he was here he had flats too.

Finally, he's consistent with SOMETHING.

Bill "SAG limos?" S.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:38:25 -0400, dgk wrote:

> The fact that anyone is voting for Bush scares me even
> more.

Why do you hate America so much?

;)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:03:24 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:38:25 -0400, dgk wrote:
>
>> The fact that anyone is voting for Bush scares me even
>> more.

>Why do you hate America so much?
>
>;)

:}

Terry Morse wrote:
> Art Harris wrote:
>

>>John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>>Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>>
>>I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
>>side of the road.

> He fixed the first flat on the road, by himself. When he got the
> second flat, he was out of spare tubes, so someone else on the ride
> stepped in. ISTR that the rim tape needed replacing, which required
> the trip to the LBS.
>
> Futher trivia from the LBS trip: Kerry travels with a steel Serotta,
> Campy Chorus, DuraAce pedals, Open Pro wheels.

That's a trick piece of kit for cruising the local
bike paths.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

di wrote:

> "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>John Kerry got two flat tires the other day, and stopped into a local
>>Portland, Oregon bike shop to have them repaired.
>>
>>See:
>>http://tinyurl.com/4s6vd
>>
>>I guess it wouldn't be very presidential to be fixing flats at the
>>side of the road. And I suppose he doesn't carry a spare tube and pump
>>on these short jaunts. At least he supports the LBS!
>>
>>"Harris" Poll:
>>
>>Should the Secret Service carry spare wheels for these situations?

> I can just see it now, a big black limo with a spare bike and wheels
> strapped to the top.

Motorized vehicles aren't allowed on bike paths,
at least not any I know of.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

> Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
> politics in order to make things better.

You're kidding of course? But if not, I've got some swampland in Arizona
for sale.

Kerry is a world class liar, and an opportunists that thinks of nothing but
himself. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body.

di wrote:
>>Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
>>politics in order to make things better.

> You're kidding of course? But if not, I've got some swampland in Arizona
> for sale.
>
> Kerry is a world class liar, and an opportunists that thinks of nothing but
> himself. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body.

Stereotypical description of a politician. What else would you expect
from someone who is running for President of the United States?

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:23:16 -0500, "di" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Kerry seems to be a pretty genuine person who is smart and got into
>> politics in order to make things better.

>You're kidding of course? But if not, I've got some swampland in Arizona
>for sale.
>
>Kerry is a world class liar, and an opportunists that thinks of nothing but
>himself. He doesn't have an honest bone in his body.

No I'm not kidding. What has he lied about? The SwiftBoat Liars For
Lies? They're debunked by many mainstream newspapers. They've hated
Kerry since he had the guts to come back from Vietnam and tell the
country that Vietnam was a lie. It took the war's main architect,
Robert McNamara, thirty years before he said the same thing.

I'm angry at him for voting to give Bush authority to go to war. He
didn't have to do it though. For his state it was safer politically to
vote against it. He voted for $87 billion as long as some of it was
paid for by revoking the taxbreaks on HIS CLASS. He voted against his
best interests. BUSH threatened to veto it so the Senate voted on
another version that has our children pay for it. Such family values.

You want a lying piece of ****, Vote Bush.

> Stereotypical description of a politician. What else would you expect
> from someone who is running for President of the United States?

I would like to "expect" more, but think you are 100% correct.
Unfortunately it's not only those that are running for President that fit
the description, but most politicians regardless what office they seek.
I've always thought we should have a law that requires a politician to
automatically spend a term in jail for every 2 terms in office. :<).
(joking of course, but an accurate view of my opinion of politicians)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:03:24 +0000, maxo wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:38:25 -0400, dgk wrote:
>
>> The fact that anyone is voting for Bush scares me even more.

> Why do you hate America so much?

Such is the state of political discourse in this country.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:25:55 +0000, maxo wrote:

> I bet he's running 20s at 120 psi on that Serotta--I'd be more likely to
> vote for a guy running at least 25s considering his stature, with kevlar
> belts.

I'd take that bet. I would doubt that he's using 20s. 23s, maybe,
although at his size 25s would be a lot more sane. Kevlar belts don't do
that much, though. Anything pointed will go right through the belt, since
it is fabric.

> Fixing the flat would indeed impress me, but only if he patched the
> tube, not replaced it. Symbolism dontcha know.

I try to never have to patch a tube on the road. I carry two, plus a
folding tire. Patching isn't always possible, especially when it's
raining.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong