Share your sprint workouts

2006 said:
Because I'am very interested in sprinting and kilo's, I have followed this thread from it's beginning.
If you followed this thread from its beginning then you realize that the OP was asking about roadie pack sprints, not track sprint races.

If you've got a good 200m PB and some ideas to share, then feel free to chime in with some sprint workouts. If you don't want to share, then I guess you'll be stuck listening to what the rest of us want to talk about.

If you must know !!!!!

My P.B. for 200m is 10.58 s
500m is 27.31s
1000m is 1.03.82 s.s.

And I totally appriciate that the Aussie's and Brit's are leading the way with thier respective programs. But they are being monitored regularly by very qualfied people. Do the regulars who post here have access to this? Or are they simply trying to copy what the top boy's are doing, but without the support.
I find that difficult.

2006 said:
If you must know !!!!!

500m is 27.31s
1000m is 1.03.82 s.s.

And I totally appriciate that the Aussie's and Brit's are leading the way with thier respective programs. But they are being monitored regularly by very qualfied people. Do the regulars who post here have access to this? Or are they simply trying to copy what the top boy's are doing, but without the support.
I find that difficult.
R u Kurt Harnets little brother

2006 said:
If you must know !!!!!

500m is 27.31s
1000m is 1.03.82 s.s.

I find that difficult.

Those are not bad times, but then again they would have only placed you 15th and 5th in the sprint qualifying and kilo at the most recent world cup meet.

As for whether the regular posters here know what they're talking about or not, I think you're foolish for assuming that just because somebody hasn't "been there, done that" that they don't understand the requirements of a sport, or the optimal training needed to meet it. Would you expect the same of, say, a cardiovascular surgeon scheduled to perform your bypass surgery?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

acoggan:

I'am not trying to be an antagonist here, but I do have a great deal of experience and have seen many trends and types of training.

Bill for example, sounds like a guy that I would really love to train with, we are close in age and from his posts he sounds very motivated, I like that.

But he has spent a great deal of time and money to find items to aid his training that he might have saved. ( No offence Bill, it's your $$ and please feel free to enjoy yourself).

I too over the years have purchased computers and gadgets, but slowly I'am feeling that nothing replaces hard work and simply getting down to business.

Now some of these items definitly provide positive feed back and this is what we all need in order to improve. I prefer to get the same from times and max. KPH's.

And back to my first question, and I'am only curious, What improvements have the regular posters here made recently for cycling times?

2006 said:
And back to my first question, and I'am only curious, What improvements have the regular posters here made recently for cycling times?

Well, after getting "technical" one year my wife lowered her 3 km pursuit time from 3:53.9 on a 250 m wood track to 3:49.7 on a 333.3 m concrete track, and in the process knocked this woman off the top of the podium at nationals:

http://www.erinmirabella.com/

rmur17 said:
could you show me where Dr. Coggan suggests L7 workouts power as a function of FT power? I honestly have not seen that.

rmur

Man, am I late to this party, or what? ;) I guess that shows how much interest I really have in sprint training!! :D

Anyway, not only have I not referenced level 7 training to functional threshold power, in describing the training levels (e.g., in the USAC coaching manual chapter) I've specifically said that it wasn't really appropriate to do so.

acoggan said:
Well, after getting "technical" one year my wife lowered her 3 km pursuit time from 3:53.9 on a 250 m wood track to 3:49.7 on a 333.3 m concrete track, and in the process knocked this woman off the top of the podium at nationals:

I hope I am not out of line here, but thumbs up on many ...many levels

2006 said:
While it might be interesting to know everyone's improvements just for the sake of curiosity, I don't see how that information could be put to any practical use. If everyone using advanced aids and training methods showed a decrease in performance, who's to say the decrease wouldn't have been greater with a more traditional training program? Similarly, if those not using the equipment improved, how can we know the improvement might not have been greater with a diferent training system?

For myself, I believe that I am training better than I ever have before; but given outside constraints, I'm fairly certain my performance this year will be lower than previous years.

Billsworld said:
Do you own one?? (Ergomo)
No I don't as I have my quota of PT on the road bike and SRM on the TT bike. The main feature I'd like would be ride and interval NP in addition to instantaneous and average power.

That being said, I don't do sub L4 rides while actively monitoring power. I check it at ride midpoints to see if my PE-meter is well calibrated that day. If the route isn't hilly then plain ole AP is good enough but I'll admit I have a harder time estimating on hilly routes where AP isn't as indicative of the true effort of the ride. Instantly accessible NP would be nice.

rmur

acoggan said:

Well sure, but does she have her own website? ;)

acoggan said:
3. Now name one Canadian track cyclist (other than Lori-Ann Munzer, who I understand has had to retire due to lack of CCF support) who has been successful on this stage during the same time period. (Answer: none)
Given the context of your post, I agree totally. I also beleive that some countries have better coaching tradition into some sports.

But you see, here in the province of Quebec, where 25% of Canada's population live, we don't even have a track. Kids can't get involve into this sport, coaches can't test their skills.

We have a lady in Quebec, she has never done any track work (we don't have one). She trains and race with no power meter, no hr monitor (Genevieve Jeanson) and she regulary does podiums on the world scene... Cause at least, we got roads. IOW, it is possible to do podiums in cycling, with the absence of technology, given that you have decent training facilities.

I am making my point against the body that govern cycling in our province, not against your statement.

acoggan said:
Thanks - but why would your comment be out of line?
Comenting on your personal life.....Looks like you have a great girl, both are sucesfull, and work and train together.All good stuff . Is she faster than you?:)

acoggan said:

That's one, so what other performance improvements (ie results in races) have people experienced using this technology.

I think this important because we need to know if these numbers actually mean anything. As you know I feel the TSS is nowhere near reflective of all that makes up cycling performance and basing your training on it will leave you short of the mark. Not only does it not take into account fatigue but what of motivation, hydration, glycogen levels etc???

FTR After getting motivational with a pursuiter she has dropped her 2km time from 3.12.2 to 2.49.8 on the same track. Next week we find out if it actually means anything at NZ Track Nationals.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
As you know I feel the TSS is nowhere near reflective of all that makes up cycling performance and basing your training on it will leave you short of the mark. Not only does it not take into account fatigue but what of motivation, hydration, glycogen levels etc???
Not to mention temperature, humidity, astrological data and mood. Must be no good if it doesn't account for all that.

RapDaddyo said:
Not to mention temperature, humidity, astrological data and mood. Must be no good if it doesn't account for all that.

Sorry did I burst someones bubble?

But just think of the fun you guys will have coming up something better that takes into account all the factors that affect a cyclist while training, racing, recovering and life outside of cycling. Heck they will probably give you a fancy title! Something like: coach :)

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
Sorry did I burst someones bubble?
Not a chance. I'm focused on exploiting power data in ways that have not been invented yet. As to things that have been invented such as power, NP, IF and TSS, I simply study them until I fully understand them (it takes me awhile with Andy's stuff), field test them on my bike and with my body, then employ them in my training and racing (assuming I see the benefit). But, some things have not been invented yet (even by Andy), and that is my focus. So, you can't burst my bubble because my bubble hasn't been invented yet.

Fergie,

With all due respect... how should I put this.

One got to look at TSS calculation for what it can do.

I don't think one single algorythm can encapsulate all the possible variables that affect training and racing.

All right. Let me put it this way. A rider tells you : I did a ride today. You probably wander : how long was your ride? He anwsers, well does it matter? Time doesn't take into account that I was tired from yesterday rides. So a 120min ride today, is different than a 120min ride after 2 days off. Therefore, why bothering about the riding time?

Of course riding time is important. Now you probably wander, how intense was this ride? Well coach, does it really matter? Intensity level is relative to... (BS).

TSS, when you learn to manipulate it, is better than getting the riding time, better than getting the intensity, because it puts the two in relation. That is just a extra piece of data. Just data.