Did You Ride Today?

The fun part is this is our fourth ride together and the third time he's hurled his breakfast.

You might want to advise him to eat lighter. Eat earlier. Or just do the coffee. At least until he gets used to doing the efforts with a little food in his stomach.

Maybe introduce him to gels, Bloks, energy bars and get him conditioned to eating on the bike instead of before the sufferfest.

I don't see an edit button

It's currently set to go away 15 minutes after the post is published...and 5 minutes before I realize I've made two spelling errors that need corrected.

Like "loos" that should be "loose" in reply [HASHTAG]#1270[/HASHTAG]. Duh...

You might want to advise him to eat lighter. Eat earlier. Or just do the coffee. At least until he gets used to doing the efforts with a little food in his stomach.

Maybe introduce him to gels, Bloks, energy bars and get him conditioned to eating on the bike instead of before the sufferfest.

He said he ate light and that was 4 hours before we rode. I gave him a bunch of gels stingers, and bloks, but found out he's been drinking Gatorade. He didn't have a clear bottle so I thought he had water, and he did complain he's stomach felt upset. So he's going to go out with water next time. I could never drink Gatorade when racing it gave me a bad acid reflux.

I did the grocery run AFTER the 101-mile ride in the heat. Yeah, that sucked worse than all the hills on the Century, combined.

You're correct. It does not get easier, but I'm chucking out solo Century rides in hilly terrain with ease. I'm going to try and get 7,000' of climbing on one and see how that feels. I'm not sure I would want to tackle that Gran Fondo with its 10,500' of vertical!

Impressive, not sure I can go the long mileage without stopping to refuel which requires a shot of insulin. I am good for 50 or so without any issues.
I don't mind the grocery store as long as I don't have to go to WalMart. My version of hell with all the inhabitants of hell present.

I don't mind the grocery store as long as I don't have to go to WalMart. My version of hell with all the inhabitants of hell present.

Just where we ended up...

"People of Walmart" could be filmed in the three local Wallyworld's in the area. The food is good, the selection is great, the prices are way lower than the area chain and independent grocery stores, but the sights, the sounds and the smells...

I did stop quickly 2 times on that last long run. Once to water the flowers and once to call the wife and let here know the Metric was turning into a full Century.

It's going to be hot again today. I hope the old muscles are recovered and ready. Sweat session tonight! I mounted a new rear tire yesterday and got drenched in the garage after getting that post ride shower. Had to jump in again before bed. I think this afternoon is going to be a repeat of that routine...no stink on me!

22 miles with 900' of climbing. Worked on keeping the revs up and low position into the wind. I still have reasonable flexibility for all life's thrown at me, but I do have to keep working at it.

I had a longer ride planned, but the sky was threatening thunder storms so I stayed a little closer to home base. It was 89 degrees and humid as all get out, but no flies on me!

found out he's been drinking Gatorade.

Hell, I would puke, too. I always drank that as a recovery drink after the ride if there was nothing else available (way too late to do any good). I stick almost exclusively to H2O or flat Coke (diet or Zero).

22 miles with 900' of climbing. Worked on keeping the revs up and low position into the wind. I still have reasonable flexibility for all life's thrown at me, but I do have to keep working at it.

I had a longer ride planned, but the sky was threatening thunder storms so I stayed a little closer to home base. It was 89 degrees and humid as all get out, but no flies on me!

Hell, I would puke, too. I always drank that as a recovery drink after the ride if there was nothing else available (way too late to do any good). I stick almost exclusively to H2O or flat Coke (diet or Zero).

Yes, Coke is good for you. Might as well drink the contents of your tractor battery. I did my usual evening ride , short with a lot of climbing.

Took the TT bike out for a fun 15 miles, temp 87 degrees wind a tough wind 15-17 with 25+ gusts. So I decide to choose a tailwind to start, and save the real fun once I was warmed up. Just didn't have the pop in the legs I needed and the legs were jelly with 1 1/2 miles still to go. Soft peddled the remainder and will fight another day.

You bet that wind was tough! 10 to 15 MPH and gusting. 2 legs were in our faces!

The Boy Wonder and I went out and he went out HARD! I'm usually pretty good with a short warm up or even zero warmup, but this was race pace plus speeds from the gate. I jumped through the gears like it was a crit start and we were off and flying.

He dragged me over the first sequence of rollers to the afternoon's first big climb and then twisted the knife! My heart rate averaged 155 for the ride and I hit 180 to 183 repeatedly on the longer climbs. We hammered each other on the flat stretches and I had two PR's on STRAVA...one was a segment we split the pull on and the other was when I was off the back and chasing hard.

Hell, everything was hard this afternoon. I told him I was in the red for at least half of the 36 miles we did together. There was only 1700' on my Garmin, but it felt like more. I was sprint-climbing the short ones out of the saddle and rolling big gears over on the longer, shallower hills...I used every trick in the book to try to stay in contact. Recovery, when it came, was very short lived.

The first two legs were into the wind and we both used a lot of energy holding the speed up to the turn that got the wind at our backs. I was hoping for a coupe miles of recovery, but The Boy had other plans. The hammer stayed down from the turn to the parking lot! The only break my heart and lungs got was the few stop signs we had to wait at for a car or two to clear the intersection.

I managed to stay on his wheel right to the final town sign. No way could I come around him...he looked left...he looked right...all I could do was kick the big gear for a few more strokes and follow him across the line.

Did you ever feel like a mouse the big cat was just toying with?

That's what I felt like for most of the sufferfest. Still, it felt great just to be alive and going THAT fast.

Speed thrills!

Reactions: rm57
Did my 18.2 mile route at 5:30, payed attention my cadence with the garmin. I think I've figured out how to get out of my speed plateau! I used 1-2 lower gearing the I usually do and upped the rpm's the entire ride. I was going very fast to start, but...pouring rain and headwinds slowed me some. I finished the ride without the punishment they usually take from pushing big gears and had one of my faster times as well! 19.1 mph in wet windy conditions, If I can improve my cadence some more, I think I may be able to hit 20 mph in the near future.

I know my average speed and distance was right do to time and knowing the routes exact distance, but the Garmin underestimated my elevation gain by 300 ft? Also, my heart rate was up there(161 bpm/max 176), I guess a higher cadence does that.

It's currently set to go away 15 minutes after the post is published...and 5 minutes before I realize I've made two spelling errors that need corrected.

Like "loos" that should be "loose" in reply [HASHTAG]#1270[/HASHTAG]. Duh...
Hahaha, that's funny.

But, seriously, why does it go away after 15 minutes? I'm curious because I'm studying web dev at the moment and I can't figure out why would that be.

but the Garmin underestimated my elevation gain by 300 ft? Also, my heart rate was up there(161 bpm/max 176), I guess a higher cadence does that.

AFAIC all GPS trackers 'guesstimate' elevation. Of any three Garmin 510's and 520's on a ride they will all disagree with each other. On a 5000' ride over 70 miles the differences can be in the 20%+ range. Accuracy and repeatability seem to be lacking. I have no clue 'why' this happens, but I think part of it is induced by the inaccurate temperature sensor used to correct the barometer.

Read all of the material published by Brian Toone, ultra-marathon cyclist, RAAM competitor and state USCF.USAC road champion. He rides with three or four Garmin's and an iNewton. He claims the mounting position, device attitude (leading edge up as opposed to horizontal, etc.) affects elevation readings.

Also, study the writings and reviews of DC Rainmaker. His insights are invaluable when it comes to GPS devices and power meters.

Lastly, compare your Garmin readings to point-by-point elevation data from MapMyRide, Ride With GPS, etc. When creating your route mate click on every intersection and every cross road to utilize known GPS way points. This will get you in the ball park.

I bought my first GPS device, a pretty nice Cateye Stealth 50, thinking the GPS data would be an accurate number that correlated almost identically to the data from my friends' devices. Wrong! The resolution, repeatability and absolute accuracy of the cycling GPS computers is not all that great. It does give us a decent comparative or relative attribute to train with.

But, seriously, why does it go away after 15 minutes?

No clue 'why'.

All forums set their edit frame to different schemes. Some allow indefinite edits. Some allow no edits. Some have a time limit.

No biggee AFAIC. It is frustrating to want to correct an inaccurate statement, incorrect data or spelling/grammatical errors discovered long after the edit frame has expired. I just tack on an addendum reply as a correction or ignore my screw up. Most folks know what was intended and to Hell with them if they want to make a big deal out of a typo.

Took the Kestrel out for a 25 mile ride after work with a cool 72 degrees. It's been a fun early season with the wind, today at 12-15 with 25+ mph gusts. Compared to yesterday the legs were in the mood to play for the whole ride.

17 miles, 475' of climbing. 83 degrees and overcast with rain moving in overnight. The wind was a steady 10 MPH. Just a fun ride to ease up after yesterday's slugfest. The neighbor was having a new water well drilled...$12,000 and 218' deep.

Just to put another nail in the Campy/Campag/Campa ********...I ordered a new EPS chain catcher. Campy calls their version the "CSD" for Chain Security Device. Anyway, it arrived this afternoon in the typical Campagnolo sealed box. It is marked not with the usual 'Campagnolo' letting, but with 'CAMPY'. Someone tell the Engrish dumbass he's still a dumbass. Just kidding.

Took to the woods today after work and rolled out 15.36 miles of black fly chaser fun. Found a little climb that I played on for most of the ride. Weather wise it was a nice 80 degrees so it was great to be out.

Looking forward to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday because it's 3 days of racing at the second oldest race in the country the Longsjo Classic. I've got some friends racing in it so I'll take some video of the races, as I eat Hot Dogs and have a beer or two watching them.

I did 250 ish and 17000 feet. Missouri thru oz arms is steep. Hot. Lightning has me holed up. Meeting lots of wonderful people out in America. I'm about 3000 miles ridden. A couple days slower due to some issues like I'm old. Haha.

I did 250 ish and 17000 feet. Missouri thru oz arms is steep. Hot. Lightning has me holed up. Meeting lots of wonderful people out in America. I'm about 3000 miles ridden. A couple days slower due to some issues like I'm old. Haha.

Glad to see your having fun and hope you give us a longer report on your adventure once done.

Today was a quick 50 miler getting the legs loose for a full day on the bike tomorrow. Will be riding down and back to the second oldest race in the US The Longsjo Classic. Hoping to get some good footage like I did for Fridays race. This is a three day race involving three cities, all being crit races. The course for Friday was a .66 mile technical course which should have been run in the opposite direction than it was run. Racers entered the quick left, right, right short sections after the one decent on the course. Every race had crashes at the first hard right after the hard left, with most categories with several crashes. Going the opposite direction would have still kept it technical but reduced the speed threw these hard turns. That what happens when a non-racer designs a course, and not to have a flagger in the area caused several very close calls. This race is on it's 55th edition and stuff like that shouldn't be happening. Tomorrows course is the grand daddy and has been the only part of the race that hasn't changed all these years, so should be smoother.

I've decided I like very early am rides, although it's been in the lower 50's at sunrise, which is colder that I like. Gloves are needed if the suns not out. Set the alarm at 4:30a so I could get my ride in and then get to the office by 9am and have time for with wife in afternoon. I drove about 15 miles and was on road at 5:30am for sunrise. Exploring new back roads on a 35 mile loop(3,000 ft elev) i mapped out, with about 5 miles of dirt farm roads thrown in. Saw 3 baby fawns with their momma and chased by a group of 3 dogs, who shocked me out of my solitude. I dismounted and talked them down. Although feisty they seemed like good ole boys intent on protecting their property boundary and they stood down while I shouted at them and walked away. I've been waiting for that. Not sure If i should spray up or not. I hate extra gear and "stuff". I got 4x 35 mi early am rides in this week and I think I am going to try to stick to that program. Last year I did 1800 mi and I'm a little behind, but those 35 mi rides don't seem to be wearing on me as much this year and I hope to step it up a couple notches. As my wife says, you're all about the numbers!

Just carried my bike into the Sauna and set it for 140F , not wait it only seemed like that. I took off about 10:30 yesterday and 9:30 today. I pity da fool who has to ride late in the day. It is hot and sticky now. Last weekend was much nicer.