USADA charge Armstrong with doping

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Having retired Lance is now officially banned from competition. An announcement weeks before the Tour? No... Say it isn't so... ROTFLMAO. Apparently only now does the USADA believe that samples from the 09 and 10 Tours were consistent with doping - the results of which were posted online in, well, 2009 and 2010 respectively. Expect a result of this in time for the next Olympic Games in Rio... As a side note this also effectively puts the kybosh of Lances' triathlon comeback.

Haha who'd have thought!! And with Bruyneel reportedly not even making it off the plane before being taken in for questioning when he flew in for ToC...!

The acceptance of drug-taking in the Tour de France was so complete by 1930 that the rule book, distributed by Henri Desgrange, reminded riders that drugs would not be provided by the organisers.

After they strip Eddie and Anquetil, I'll worry about Lance and Jan. And Vino. And Kash. And Valv/Piti. And all the rest.

And this guy, too.

the results of which were posted online in, well, 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Lance also 'live' posted his pre-tour (2009?) training blood data...before it was pulled from the Livestrong website. Screenshots were saved and are still on the intarwebz for viewing. IIRC, the results were suspicious.

The 'I've got to take a shower' story was a hoot!

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Can we spell "Witch hunt" everyone?
w-i-t-c-h-hyphen-h-u-n-t. witch-hunt.

perhaps we should burn him before he turns us all into newts.

Can we spell "Witch hunt" everyone?

Ain't that the truth?!

Why yes...yes we can!

R-O-GE-R C-L-E-M-E-N-S

We get it...we get it. They all doped. They doped in 1905. They doped in 1995. And they'll dope in 2095. Thank God we have a nanny state to look out for us all.

The NFL dopes. MLB dopes. The NBA IS dopes. Golfers dope. Chess playes and match target shooters dope (beta blockers, wtc.).

Life ain't fair.

Queue the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.

I heard some agencies were going after him back in February so this is and has been an on going investigation. Still doubt that Americans will pay much attention to it as compared to the way Europeans do to the likes of Ullrich or Contador.

" Rumor is that Lance is not out of the woods yet. CAS is on the hunt". Posted 2/17/12

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Still doubt that Americans will pay much attention to it as compared to the way Europeans do to the likes of Ullrich or Contador.
I work at DowJones, now owned by Rupert Murdock. One of our sister companies is a NY tabloid rag - The NY Post. Today's headline was a sad state of affairs, essentially calling LA a "drug peddlar". I felt a little despondant that whatever Lance is guilty of, it's not this. Sadly many Americans not that familiar with cycling will be delivered the essence of our sport in these contrived, sensationalist headlines.

...headline was a sad state of affairs, essentially calling LA a "drug peddlar".

A simple typo.

They meant to say, "Drugged Pedaler".

You are correct. Not one American in 100,000 will give a ****.

...and not a single damn was given that day.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

...headline was a sad state of affairs, essentially calling LA a "drug peddlar".

A simple typo.

They meant to say, "Drugged Pedaler".
Correctomundo, and the misread was mine. it was indeed "Drug Pedaler". Those "journalists", such fart smellers (another typo?).

Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn, and cauldron bubble...

We get it...we get it. They all doped. They doped in 1905. They doped in 1995. And they'll dope in 2095. Thank God we have a nanny state to look out for us all.

The NFL dopes. MLB dopes. The NBA IS dopes. Golfers dope. Chess playes and match target shooters dope (beta blockers, wtc.).
and this is the reason i have such little hope for american society--this blase "everybody cheats" mentality in sports, business or politics. when i grew up, we never wanted under any circumstance to be branded a "cheat." perhaps it was the community i grew up in, perhaps it was because my father taught not only how to golf, but the adherence to the rules of golf, perhaps i'm just a hand-wringing, teeth-gnasher, but just because hein verbruggen, pat macquaid, juan antonio samaranch and phil liggett turned a blind eye to the problem is no excuse to let a cheat slip the noose. and let's not play the everybody-did-it card. ullrich, basso, contador, hamilton, landis and just about every other "dirty" rider "clean living" lance bested were found out and punished. so it's no witch-hunt. it is inexorably grinding justice--justice to every doper found out and punished and, more importantly, those riders who actually refused to sink to armstrong's level to succeed (christophe bassons to name one) and who were denied their rightful palmares.

save me the sob story for poor little lance. it isn't like nike is going to throw him out of his austin mansion. he's made his millions off every poor slob who actually believed his story in the face of all his tue's, stories about vindictive ex-employees, and federal agent "javert" going overboard.

Reactions: qdc15
Originally Posted by slovakguy .
and this is the reason i have such little hope for american society--this blase "everybody cheats" mentality in sports, business or politics. when i grew up, we never wanted under any circumstance to be branded a "cheat."
Because of all those cheating American cyclists who dominated the European cyling scene prior to Greg Lemond? Who's "we"? The French? The Italians? The Belgians? It's a legitimate question and not meant to be provocative. Although Campy is representative of American society, he doesn't represent it (no offense CB).

Contrary to popular non-American opinion, we don't hold the monopoly, and didn't start the trend.

Although I have extreme respect for Lance's athleticism, I don't really like the guy. And although not born in America myself, I do hold a quaint notion to the "innocent until proven guilty" maxim. Let's prove the ****er guilty or let's drop it.

"we"--the community of children, later teenagers, later young adults with whom i grew up and competed against (personally, born and bred united states citizen, not a european). simply trying to illustrate that we were fools even then for believing that hard work and following the rules would be a reward in itself. and we learned then that not all our wishes for athletic or financial success would be rewarded. we learned to accept defeat as a necessary part of competition. (and let's not side track on "good for you" medals for everybody. i'm against that silliness.)

never implied that america has a monopoly on cheats. never implied we started any trends for cheating. if anything, lance can be shown to have been associated with one well versed in that discipline- m. ferrari (very european). not saying we in the united states have a monopoly on the "persecution" whine. contador has acquitted himself quite well on that front.

as for the last point, i agree. let the usada case take its course. those who agree with armstrong are trying to short circuit the process with baseless accusations of over reaching authorities, or personal jealousies or whatever else armstrong and his followers whine about. whatever the outcome, if anyone is attempting to have this case tried in the press, it is armstrong's side.

in fine, i believe that lance is not being persecuted (basso, contador, ullrich, et. al who have had their day before the panel).
in fine, i believe that lance will not suffer immeasurably in his quality of life. he will still be rich and famous/infamous. he may, however, have to get a real job instead of dining out on the seven times winner meal ticket for the rest of his life.
in fine, i find it ironic that lance can be dismissive of those who take their jobs as seriously enough to have pursued an investigation of a seven times victor as he took to winning those seven titles. should they, perhaps, tank the effort to preserve his reputation?
in fine, if lance has nothing to hide, he has nothing to fear. it is just another of those baseless attacks he has suffered. he should be inured to it by now. if, however, the weight of the evidence is something to fear, then perhaps he should just find the courage to take his stripes.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

"we"--the community of children, later teenagers, later young adults with whom i grew up and competed against (personally, born and bred united states citizen, not a european). simply trying to illustrate that we were fools even then for believing that hard work and following the rules would be a reward in itself. and we learned then that not all our wishes for athletic or financial success would be rewarded. we learned to accept defeat as a necessary part of competition. (and let's not side track on "good for you" medals for everybody. i'm against that silliness.)
Being the occasionally cynical fellow I am I partially hold true to the " we all die alone" nonsense. And believe me when I would say "good for you", it would be completely absent of any facetiousness. I don't think there's anything foolish in your mindset. We all have to live with ourselves, and peace of mind is a big reward in my book.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Having retired Lance is now officially banned from competition. An announcement weeks before the Tour? No... Say it isn't so... ROTFLMAO.
Apparently only now does the USADA believe that samples from the 09 and 10 Tours were consistent with doping - the results of which were posted online in, well, 2009 and 2010 respectively. Expect a result of this in time for the next Olympic Games in Rio...
As a side note this also effectively puts the kybosh of Lances' triathlon comeback.
He has not been banned.

He can also compete in triathlons.

Currently he can not compete in triathlons run by one business as it does not allow those under investigation by the USADA (or some similar wording) to enter.

He has been banned, pending the outcome of the investigation, from the series of events run by the World Triathlon Corporation, which sanctions an international series of events, including the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii on Oct. 13. The WTC's rules dictate that an athlete under investigation for doping is ineligible. Armstrong can compete in USA Triathlon-sanctioned races, but he had been focusing on the WTC events

Although Campy is representative of American society, he doesn't represent it (no offense CB).

No offense taken.

The views expressed by CampyBob are soley his own, a do not necessarily represent the views of this forum, the State of Ohio, The United States of America, the World Community or that of the Universe (be it expanding or contracting).

Although Campy is representative of American society, he doesn't represent it (no offense CB).

No offense taken.

The views expressed by CampyBob are soley his own, a do not necessarily represent the views of this forum, the State of Ohio, The United States of America, the World Community or that of the Universe (be it expanding or contracting).

A lot of people think you are a Southern Redneck which it's itself is a misnomer since the term redneck came out of the northern regions. Ohio is definitely considered a northern state. Now I am a genuine Hillbilly although I hope not taken as an ignorant Hillbilly. That term also is obscure in origin.
Back to the subject, Ullrich is an example of someone that has been ravaged by the media, banned and just short of crucified but has managed to maintain his income using his name.
I suspect Lance will fare even better over the course of his life. Speaking of Jan I need to ask about his book and what is up with that.