Did You Ride Today?

102! That's hot!

Yeah, it was supposed to be 99 in one inland city, and 84 at the coast. It was 84 at the coast and we hated to leave because where we live inland, there was a hear warning. :eek:

Stopped at a little joint on the way home for a fresh burger and a salad. I know they had the air on lightly but we were both sitting there dripping on the tables and benches ha ha! Glad they had handy napkin dispensers. I went through about 12 napkins trying to cool down and soaking up the sweat.

We know the owner and he looked at us and asked, what the hell?". I had to explain the bike ride to him. :D

Capture1.JPG

I lived in Flagstaff and Tucson...but, it's a dry heat!

I couldn't get this site to even load yesterday.

I rode an easy 62 miles in 78 degree sunshine. Only 2000' of climbing, so a pretty flat course. The wind was easy at 8 to 10 MPH.My legs were without power. Fun ride around three lakes/reservoirs.

Hmm very strange. Site worked really well for a couple of days then the last couple I could not get to the site on my home computer or my cell phone. Had one of the those timeout error messages. Almost thought they closed the place down. o_O

Monday's workout didn't post up yesterday for some reason.

37 minutes on the trainer to shake the legs out from the weekend.

Nothing but hard rain all day and rain in the forecast for the next four days. Roads washed out. Driveways washed out. Local flooding. And that's just from today. Hopefully we get a few dry hours here and there to hit the roads, but I'm not counting on anything long for this week

U, Just to let you know...I watched YP Season 3 up through Episode 25 and the finish of the climb at the end of day 1 of the Inter High. Crunchyroll to the rescue.

Well that was pure hell. I think my gall bladder melted and my teeth started sweating.

DROWNED LIKE A RAT!

9 miles. Started out in 99.9% humidity and around 80 degrees. Not too hot, just really muggy. Hmmmm? Off to the SouthWest...that don't look so good. Awwww...fuggit! Let's ride!

North 2 miles...look over shoulder. Looking nasty.

West 3 miles or so into the stiff breeze I floored it to make the acute turn for the car.

2 miles and I can feel the wind picking up as I head SouthEast with as much low-pro power as my worthless legs can develop.

A neighbor and his wife are out on their front porch looking up at the ink-black sky coming at us and yelling something about rain. I scream back that I would get home dry maybe.

Another 1/2 mile up the road Noah started his flood. For the next 2 miles or so the wind blew me all over the road as the lightning crashed all around me and the sheets of pounding rain stung my eyes. Quickly the water was almost an inch deep on the road. Brakes? No need now as I went down a gear and climbed the last grade with thunder booming and the wind drowning out the sound of my breathing.

In less than 5 minutes exposure I was soaked. Shoes soaked, gloves soaked, helmet dripping, jersey and shorts almost as heavy as the days of wool.

The stupid thing was...Sunday all my clothes and gloves and heart rate strap got washed, the chain was spotless and the bike was detailed for a concours d'elegance!

Everything, and mean even the shoes went into the washer. I just got in from spending 1-1/2 hours re-detailing the bike and re-cleaning the chain. WD-40 on all steel bits followed by a 5-20 weight synthetic oil wipe-down. Despite my best attempted with several Terrycloth rags it will take several hours sitting in the sun before everything on the bike, saddle bag & contents, ride wallet & contents are really dry.

That was the fastest, deepest soaking I've had in a couple years, but thankfully it wasn't like that charity century ride a couple years ago in which another 99% humidity day was temporarily relieved by a downpour just as hard as this one, but one that lasted for 20 minutes of near blinding torrents of water.

I think I mentioned this week's forecast was a chance of rain every day...well...I fought the forecast and the forecast won!

Reactions: rm57
80? Damn and no shoe covers or underarmour? Seriously I felt ill after my ride today. It's just too hot for an old guy trying to ride these damn 20 percent climbs in this weather but I will probably be back out on Thursday. Still at 155 lbs but I suspect my IQ # is decreasing.

I just looked at windfinder.com. The wind was only 9 MPH when I started the ride and it ramped up to 28 MPH with gusts to 41 MPH when the rain hit. No wonder I was moving all over the road.

LOL, JH! It's only hit 90 degrees twice this summer...IIRC. It's been cool and decently wet up here this Spring and Summer.

When the rain hit, despite the humidity, I was moving fast enough only my head was sweating and not evaporating under the helmet. I had the jersey unzipped to below the HR strap and I was cool enough to put out a good max Watt output right up to when steering control became more important that flat out speed on the way back to the car.

Speaking of the car...I have those high zoot floor mats and I had to take 2 of them out of the car and drain the water out. Took leather cream to the seats real quick, hit the interior glass and tossed the bike towels that normally cover the rear seat and hump between the rear floor mats into the washer with the second load of ****.

I don't mind getting my skinny ass soaked, but the car, the bike, the contents of the ride wallet and seat bag? Meh...I hate the cleaning details!

You're down to 155? Good job! Climbing weight! you haz it!

I just noticed...Garmin Connect said I climbed 623' per the Edge 520 device with barometer and elevation correction (to waypoints, I assume?) turned off.

Well, the Garmin's air pressure sensor port must have been drowned as good as I was. There's no way in Hell I did more than 250' of vertical on that course.

With correction enabled Garmin said 525' and STRAVA put up a more realistic 343'...still a bit much in my experience on this route.

My Garmin drops signal so much I average 12 mph. BTW the TDF sucks now and so do the politically motivated judges and officals. @$&%=:€¥#$@# @holes. Follow the money! The tour needs an anal cleaning.

Tour sucks? No Nacer Boohoohani is still throwing punches and Kittel would have crushed Cav and Sagan as easily as he's humiliated Greipel and friends. It was a stupid move to boot Sagan. Crash was mostly on Cav's shoulders and the elbow, intentional or a balancing reaction, didn't do ****. The bike was out from under Cav by that point anyway. No saving it.

I saw a guy on CN forum ask if anyone wanted him to file a missing person report on Sonny Cobrelli. I raffed!

With the missing sprinters (Renshaw missed a time cut) and GC guys crashed out or not performing well at this point (Alberto and a tired Quintana) it's come down to Froome and Aru and maybe whatever the French came muster up.

And oddly, I'm actually enjoying watching it this year. Weird. Because it really isn't the best Tour ever or even one of the better ones.

I agree, the tour has been decent imo. SO much has happened that it makes it a bit interesting. I will say the sprinter stages are freaking boring so I am really happy the show some of the castles and add a little history to keep my mind occupied for a few minutes.

Really, I would be happy with 10 minute version of the sprinter stages! :D

The climbing stages were watered down this year also. A few more adjustments and I can compete.

What? Watered down? Like the SEVEN catagorized climbs and the nasty, rain slicked descent stage? That had 16,000' of climbing on it! When Sagan's bro and Renshaw don't make the time cut you know there's some serious vertical on the route. And really, the high mountain days are just starting.

Now...if Froome's elbows blow the likes of Aru, Alberto and Quintana off the mountains...well...at that point I'll switch back to the **** Channel.

84 degrees today and more humidity. The sky was threatening again this afternoon and despite the radar looking clear those clouds definitely could open up. Luckily for me, it blew over.

The wind was about the same as yesterday, 9 to 11 MPH. And the 15% chance of rain was...uh...exactly the same as yesterday. Scary!

I set off in spotless gear on a spotless bike with a spotless chain from the spotless interior of the car!

Yesterday I put up some decent numbers trying to limit my exposure time to that lightning and falling limbs and all the other death & destruction going on in that 15-minute mayhem. Started out this afternoon with legs that felt a little dead. After the first little climb they came around and I rode well over the next 1200' or so of stiff little hills.

It was a quiet ride with almost no traffic and I had a blast!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Nice little local cruise today. High of 95 and average of 89. Actually felt cool with the breeze and compared to last Saturday's ride! :p

Easy 14 miler with 1.014 ft of gain. Just spinning up the legs hoping to get in a mountain road on Saturday (GMR).

071217A.jpg

I'd rather shave my balls then shave my legs! Just don't ask for pictures! :D

071217B.jpg
071217C.JPG

Bob I do not see any of the classic killer summit finishes as in the past like Tourmalet or Ventoux. I didn't say they were easy but it seems they have been made it more convenient for the less aggressive competitors sucking some of the thrill out of the race for me.