Lemond : many more wins for Landis, Armstrong a "cheat"

Keith

Guest
"Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
otherwise been cheated out of a win."

When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
am not saying that. ..."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news

-----------
Looks like he just did though !

Keith wrote:
> "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>
> When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> am not saying that. ..."
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>
> -----------
> Looks like he just did though !

I like this part:
" I believe you can do the TdF without drugs, you get tired, and the
strongest win."

See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
of the time.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Keith wrote:
>> "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
>> asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
>> first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
>> we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
>> otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>>
>> When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
>> am not saying that. ..."
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>>
>> -----------
>> Looks like he just did though !

> I like this part:
> " I believe you can do the TdF without drugs, you get tired, and the
> strongest win."
>
> See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
> implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
> of the time.

He did. It was during a time trial.

--
Deutschland Snippy
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;

Deutschland Snippy wrote:
> > See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
> > implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
> > of the time.

> He did. It was during a time trial.

Nah. Sure, Ullrich stomped him by 1:36 in the "dehydration" ITT during
the 2003 Tour. However, LA still led the GC and he placed 2nd in the
stage. Hardly the same as Floyd's detonation on the La Toussuire
climb. Similarly, on the Joux Plane in the 2000 Tour when LA "bonked"
he placed 8th on the stage only about 2:00 down to the winner.

[email protected] wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>>"Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
>>asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
>>first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
>>we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
>>otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>>
>>When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
>>am not saying that. ..."
>>
>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>>
>>-----------
>> Looks like he just did though !

> I like this part:
> " I believe you can do the TdF without drugs, you get tired, and the
> strongest win."
>
> See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
> implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
> of the time.

All he had to do was have a team that deserted him after the first
climb of every mountain day. Looked like Savoldelli's [rbr sic] 'help'
in the Giro last year.

Thank God for Axel.

~bob

bob sullivan wrote:

> All he had to do was have a team that deserted him after the first
> climb of every mountain day. Looked like Savoldelli's [rbr sic] 'help'
> in the Giro last year.
>
> Thank God for Axel.
>
> ~bob

If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
effective help in the mountains. I doubt that he'll be allowed to go
off the front for 130 km in the TdF anymore (unless he's like 2 hours
down on GC...maybe not even then).

[email protected] wrote:
> Keith wrote:
> > "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> > asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> > first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> > we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> > otherwise been cheated out of a win."
> >
> > When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> > am not saying that. ..."
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
> >
> > -----------
> > Looks like he just did though !

Some people (not sure about Lemond) previously claimed that the higher
avg. TdF speeds were evidence of doping, but Lemond implies that this
last tour was clean and it had the 3rd fastest avg. speed.

> I like this part:
> " I believe you can do the TdF without drugs, you get tired, and the
> strongest win."
>
> See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
> implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
> of the time.

I've seen people claim that doping helps both endurance and recovery,
but there isn't any physiological reason to believe it would prevent
bonking if one didn't take the necessary nutrition.

"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>
> When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> am not saying that. ..."
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>
> -----------
> Looks like he just did though !

Lemond's opinions have as much evidence to support them as mine do -
none. That he thinks he knows more than he does and opens his mouth
about it does not give him much credibility as far as I am concerned.
He was a great champion in his day but that does not make him a great
person to comment on the sport, then or today. Listening to Lance
pontificate on OLN was equally uninteresting because it was equally
irrelevant to what was going on in _this_ year's Tour.

Every year is different, Landis <> Armstrong <> Lemond - that and 50
cents will get you on the subway. It was a great Tour from a fan
perspective if you forgot about the fact that the two leading contenders
for the GC didn't ride it. I forgot about Basso and the Kaiser for the
duration of the Tour and had a great time watching it.

Just my opinions, worth what you paid for them here on rbr. :)

-S-

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
> effective help in the mountains. I doubt that he'll be allowed to go
> off the front for 130 km in the TdF anymore (unless he's like 2 hours
> down on GC...maybe not even then).

How many Phonaks started and how many ended?

Keith wrote:
> "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>
> When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> am not saying that. ..."
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>
> -----------
> Looks like he just did though !

I saw that interview on ESPN2. The quote is taken out of context. He
was asked about, and talking about the riders who were disqualified
from the Tour this year. IOW, if they had been allowed to race, Floyd
may have been cheated out of a win.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:31:09 GMT, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
>asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
>first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
>we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
>otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>
>When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
>am not saying that. ..."
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>
>-----------
> Looks like he just did though !

Yeah, he did. And having said it he'd be better served to stand behind it.
Rather than talk trash out the side of his mouth.

Ron

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> bob sullivan wrote:
>
> If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
> effective help in the mountains.

There is no if. He extended for one more year and will ride for Ishares
next year. Same team, different title sponsor.

Hey, Lemond has always been a cry baby. He cried when not being allowed to
win ahead of BH in his last TDF.

Frank Drackman wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > bob sullivan wrote:
> >
> > If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
> > effective help in the mountains.

> There is no if. He extended for one more year and will ride for Ishares
> next year. Same team, different title sponsor.

That was premature reporting, he stated yesterday that his contract
situation should be cleared up in the next few weeks. It looks like he
is leaning towards staying with iShares/Phonak but he has not signed on
yet

http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/details/articles/10577.0.html

"Contract talks and options
Landis said he plans to return to the U.S. soon after riding the
traditional post-Tour criteriums in the Netherlands and expects to race
in Chicago in mid-August.

Landis is also currently engaged in contract negotiations for the
coming season and said he expects to have announcement regarding his
plans for next year within two weeks.

"That's still up in the air, but it should be settled within the next
week or two," he said. "I'm quite happy with my current situation and
the most likely scenario is that I stay where I am."

His former teammate, seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong, who is a
part owner of the Discovery Channel cycling team was quoted this week
as saying he would welcome Landis's return to the U.S. team, a
possibility Landis did not dismiss.

"I have spoken with them, over the past few months, even before the
Tour," Landis said. "There was never a formal offer one way or the
other. Whether I would or wouldn't, I don't have any kind of problem
with going back. I've been in communication with Lance. I saw him at
the race - on the Alpe d'Huez stage - and we've sent messages
back-and-forth in the meantime... but there haven't been any formal
contract talks.

"Right now I'm trying to sort things out with my current team," Landis
said. "I'm happy here and I think we have a formula that works. Again,
nothing against (Discovery) but I'm proud of the team I'm on.""

[email protected] wrote:
> bob sullivan wrote:
> >
> > All he had to do was have a team that deserted him after the first
> > climb of every mountain day. Looked like Savoldelli's [rbr sic] 'help'
> > in the Giro last year.
> >
> > Thank God for Axel.
> >
> > ~bob

> If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
> effective help in the mountains.

Phonak withdrew two (Botero and Cataluna) due their names being linked
to the Operation Puerto doping investigation. So, I'm not sure it is
correct to slam Phonak's planning. There is a gap between what the
team had and what they planned to have.

[email protected] wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>
>>"Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
>>asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
>>first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
>>we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
>>otherwise been cheated out of a win."
>>
>>When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
>>am not saying that. ..."
>>
>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
>>
>>-----------
>> Looks like he just did though !

> I like this part:
> " I believe you can do the TdF without drugs, you get tired, and the
> strongest win."
>
> See? All Lance would have had to do was have an 8 or 10 minute
> implosion like Floyd and Greg wouldn't be up his ass about doping all
> of the time.

I think WADA should hire all the people with the super sensitive and
advanced drug/doping detection schemes. Lemond sounds like he has too
much time on his hands anyway.

LastToKnow wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Keith wrote:
> > > "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> > > asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> > > first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> > > we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> > > otherwise been cheated out of a win."
> > >
> > > When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> > > am not saying that. ..."
> > >
> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
> > >
> > > -----------
> > > Looks like he just did though !

> Some people (not sure about Lemond) previously claimed that the higher
> avg. TdF speeds were evidence of doping, but Lemond implies that this
> last tour was clean and it had the 3rd fastest avg. speed.

What this Tour also had was 6 or 7 fewer mountains (about 16
categorized climbs on mt stages compared to about 26-28 in 2005 and
2003, respectively) and 2 fewer mountain top finishes than the other
two fast tours. And most of the early flat stages were about 40km/h
this year compared to about 45km/h in those other two years.

Fewer mountains enables higher speeds on mountain stages. Fewer
mountaintop finishes encourages aggresive riding in the mountains.

Warren G wrote:
> Keith wrote:
> > "Lemond has certainly not hidden his feelings on Armstrong, and when
> > asked who would win today between Landis, him and Armstrong, Lemond at
> > first chuckled... For me I am a strong anti-doping advocate. I think
> > we are seeing a true Tour de France winner, someone who might have
> > otherwise been cheated out of a win."
> >
> > When asked if he was saying Lance's wins were tainted, Lemond said, "I
> > am not saying that. ..."
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news
> >
> > -----------
> > Looks like he just did though !

> I saw that interview on ESPN2. The quote is taken out of context. He
> was asked about, and talking about the riders who were disqualified
> from the Tour this year. IOW, if they had been allowed to race, Floyd
> may have been cheated out of a win.

I thought Lemond was talking about this year also.

On 24 Jul 2006 19:42:30 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>bob sullivan wrote:
>>
>> All he had to do was have a team that deserted him after the first
>> climb of every mountain day. Looked like Savoldelli's [rbr sic] 'help'
>> in the Giro last year.
>>
>> Thank God for Axel.
>>
>> ~bob

>If Floyd stays with Phonak it would be nice if they could get hime some
>effective help in the mountains. I doubt that he'll be allowed to go
>off the front for 130 km in the TdF anymore (unless he's like 2 hours
>down on GC...maybe not even then).

Well if you saw the Morzine stage, they didn't "allow" him to do
anythin they were just helpless !

>> Some people (not sure about Lemond) previously claimed that the higher
>> avg. TdF speeds were evidence of doping, but Lemond implies that this
>> last tour was clean and it had the 3rd fastest avg. speed.

>What this Tour also had was 6 or 7 fewer mountains (about 16
>categorized climbs on mt stages compared to about 26-28 in 2005 and
>2003, respectively) and 2 fewer mountain top finishes than the other
>two fast tours. And most of the early flat stages were about 40km/h
>this year compared to about 45km/h in those other two years.
>
>Fewer mountains enables higher speeds on mountain stages. Fewer
>mountaintop finishes encourages aggresive riding in the mountains.

Thanks for looking that up, certainly explains a lot.