2008 Tour de France Stage 16 - Tuesday, July 22: Cuneo - Jausiers, 157 km



serpico7 said:
Again, I have to wonder if you're watching the same race the rest of us are watching.
:D I agree. Driving the pace in front of the group = saving his energies. Who would have guessed? :rolleyes:
 
Glad to see Andy taking the white jersey. He's been awesome the last couple of stages.
 
whiteboytrash said:
....and before you start they are not strong enough to sacrifice Sastre or Shleck. They have to make that decision tonight.
They should have made Sastre attack early on the last climb, left it to the others to chase. When/if it came back send Frank off. All this using Voigt to drive the pace - doesn't Bjarne know that they are not US Postal and Voigt is not a juiced Hincapie?

BTW watching the Bonette brought back some memories. **** scary memories. The climb is amazing, the descent even more frightening. :eek:
 
1. SCHLECK Frank
2. KOHL Bernhard 00' 07"
3. EVANS Cadel 00' 08"
4. SASTRE Carlos 00' 49"
5. MENCHOV Denis 01' 13"
6. VANDEVELDE Christian 03' 15"
7. KIRCHEN Kim 03' 23"
8. VALVERDE Alejandro 04' 11"
9. SANCHEZ Samuel 04' 38"
10. VALJAVEC Tadej 05' 23"

Menchov is still in the hunt. If that was his jour sans then it could be a lot worse.

Tomorrow will be carnage; it looks horrible. Top 5 still in with a shout.

Evans' team is pants, Menchov's not a great deal better, and tomorrow's stage is the kind of one where that will really count.

Popo riding for himself, will be spent, hasn't got it this year anyway. I think Bro is absolutely right, but at least Evans had the decency to win the P-N stage.
 
Must have found his bike :D

35.
RSA.jpg
AUGUSTYN John-Lee
BARLOWORLD 4h 36' 54" + 05' 27"
 
Rolfrae said:
BTW watching the Bonette brought back some memories. **** scary memories. The climb is amazing, the descent even more frightening. :eek:

I tell you what, Augustyn is just lucky where he went off wasn't a cliff section! Can you imagine a rider going off the road and then the camera following his 1000ft death plunge aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh (organizers probably wouldn't do that to the riders would they :p ).
 
Drongo said:
1. SCHLECK Frank
2. KOHL Bernhard 00' 07"
3. EVANS Cadel 00' 08"
4. SASTRE Carlos 00' 49"
5. MENCHOV Denis 01' 13"
6. VANDEVELDE Christian 03' 15"
7. KIRCHEN Kim 03' 23"
8. VALVERDE Alejandro 04' 11"
9. SANCHEZ Samuel 04' 38"
10. VALJAVEC Tadej 05' 23"

Menchov is still in the hunt. If that was his jour sans then it could be a lot worse.

Tomorrow will be carnage; it looks horrible. Top 5 still in with a shout.

Evans' team is pants, Menchov's not a great deal better, and tomorrow's stage is the kind of one where that will really count.

Popo riding for himself, will be spent, hasn't got it this year anyway. I think Bro is absolutely right, but at least Evans had the decency to win the P-N stage.

Agree with you - Top 5 are all still in contention.

Tomorrows stage could be the dealbreaker as regards any of the top 5.

That's why I think CSC does have an advantage - apart from two riders in the top 5.
Their team is really strong with Andy Schleck, Jens Voigt and Arversen working as domestiques.
(Sorenson hasn't featured as much as Schleck, Voigt and Arvesen).
No other top 5 rider has that depth of strength, in their respective team.
Even Canc was impressive with his turn on the front while climbing in the Prato Nevoso stage.
 
b1_ said:
I tell you what, Augustyn is just lucky where he went off wasn't a cliff section! Can you imagine a rider going off the road and then the camera following his 1000ft death plunge aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh (organizers probably wouldn't do that to the riders would they :p ).
If it was a cliff, they would have some barriers on the side. Of course, the rider could go over the barrier.
 
b1_ said:
I tell you what, Augustyn is just lucky where he went off wasn't a cliff section! Can you imagine a rider going off the road and then the camera following his 1000ft death plunge aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh (organizers probably wouldn't do that to the riders would they :p ).

Organizers wouldn't do it, but some schmuck with a cell phone would put it on YouTube within the hour.
 
Klodifan said:
boring stage actually.

well, back to work.

have a great day, peeps.


Actually it is a great stage, it's just that the riders were a bit boring.
 
Cobblestones said:
Organizers wouldn't do it, but some schmuck with a cell phone would put it on YouTube within the hour.

Hehe, yes, but I meant the organizers wouldn't have the race pass by any cliff drops off.

Tomorrow's the big one. CSC are going to have to throw everything bar the kitchen sink at Cadel. Actually Voigt could probably lug a kitchen sink with him as well. Gonna be carnage. No one is out of this. Anything could happen as has been shown in many previous Tours. I'd expect major attacks on at least two of the climbs tomorrow. CSC just have options, and they're gonna have to use them.

Looking forward to it.
 
Rolfrae said:
They should have made Sastre attack early on the last climb, left it to the others to chase. When/if it came back send Frank off. All this using Voigt to drive the pace - doesn't Bjarne know that they are not US Postal and Voigt is not a juiced Hincapie?
That's what i was thinking. Surely just driving along at a hard, even pace is going to much better suit Cadel than people jumping away every so often? Plus they may well have used-up some of their team in doing so?
 
Can anyone tell me why Silence Lotto are being such a lazy ******* selfish "team"? Popo took the biscuit today.
 
It wasn't up to CSC to gain time today, Schleck can gain the time needed tommorow to counter his loss to Evans come the TT. The contenders had the opportunity to gain time, but with a strong CSC, they risked unsuceeding and wasting energy they need for alpe d'huez. Evans is going to lose time tommorow either way, his job is to limit time, if he attacked today he risks completely blowing-up tommorow.
 
Ullefan said:
It wasn't up to CSC to gain time today, Schleck can gain the time needed tommorow to counter his loss to Evans come the TT. The contenders had the opportunity to gain time, but with a strong CSC, they risked unsuceeding and wasting energy they need for alpe d'huez. Evans is going to lose time tommorow either way, his job is to limit time, if he attacked today he risks completely blowing-up tommorow.
By doing a lot of work today, and yet not attacking, CSC is taking a big risk. What if everyone is tired, and blows up tomorrow? Given the pace set by CSC, I wouldn't imagine Evans to have attacked today anyway.
 
TheDarkLord said:
By doing a lot of work today, and yet not attacking, CSC is taking a big risk. What if everyone is tired, and blows up tomorrow? Given the pace set by CSC, I wouldn't imagine Evans to have attacked today anyway.
CSC are going to blow the race apart tommorow, no doubt about it. Impressed by brother Andy, didn't look tired at any point on the climb. Not sure about Frank, but if he's going to win this race, its tommorow.
 
Ullefan said:
CSC are going to blow the race apart tommorow, no doubt about it. Impressed by brother Andy, didn't look tired at any point on the climb. Not sure about Frank, but if he's going to win this race, its tommorow.
Andy said it on Luxembourg TV this evening: "Frank didn't feel too well on La bonnette, so I had to slow down a bit."

Poooh, shame young Schleck forgot to eat/drink properly in Hautacam. He might have exploded the favourites group today and win the Tour.
 
adamastor said:
Andy said it on Luxembourg TV this evening: "Frank didn't feel too well on La bonnette, so I had to slow down a bit."

Poooh, shame young Schleck forgot to eat/drink properly in Hautacam. He might have exploded the favourites group today and win the Tour.
Must have been the transfussion he got on the rest day.
 

Similar threads