2008 Tour De France Stage 15 - Sunday, July 20: Embrun - Prato Nevoso, 183km

Ricco if there isnt a long breakaway? I think he will be targetting this stage, trying to stay with the main contenders on the one after the rest day and then trying to go again on alpe d'huez.

Another uphill finish. Stage profile:

PROFIL.gif

I await Grater's prediction on which Columbia rider will be in a break, and which one will win the stage - probably Kirchen? :p

That is not a very steep final climb. It looks like it's about 7%.

I pick a rejuventated Valverde. Maybe Cunego goes for it.

A long way after the first climb to make an attack stick. I think we could see CSC lift the place on the first climb to try and blow as many Lotto riders away as possible. Maybe then try and push the pace after that with Sastre attacking on the climb followed by Frank Schleck? They may try and follow stage 10's example by putting Cancellara or O'Grady in an early break.

Anticyclone said:
A long way after the first climb to make an attack stick. I think we could see CSC lift the place on the first climb to try and blow as many Lotto riders away as possible. Maybe then try and push the pace after that with Sastre attacking on the climb followed by Frank Schleck? They may try and follow stage 10's example by putting Cancellara or O'Grady in an early break.
There is over 100 km between the cresting of Agnel and the start of the final climb. They may sure try to put as much pressure as possible on the weaker teams during the ascent of Agnel, but unless some GC rider pops, I'm not sure that they can keep up the tempo all the way to the start of the final climb. Tourmalet-Hautacam was much shorter, and so they could afford to blow up Cancellara and Voigt by maintaining a high speed.

Bro Deal said:
That is not a very steep final climb. It looks like its about 7%.

I pick a rejuventated Valverde. Maybe Cunego goes for it.
I just hope whoever has received fresh blood is not stupid enough to pull off a Vino act. That would sure set off the alarm bells.

TheDarkLord said:
There is over 100 km between the cresting of Agnel and the start of the final climb. They may sure try to put as much pressure as possible on the weaker teams during the ascent of Agnel, but unless some GC rider pops, I'm not sure that they can keep up the tempo all the way to the start of the final climb. Tourmalet-Hautacam was much shorter, and so they could afford to blow up Cancellara and Voigt by maintaining a high speed.
Yes, it is a long way although quite a few of those k's are downhill. I think they will keep the pace fairly high - some domestiques may make it back but they will have to work hard. As to the GC threats to them i think the rest of the first seven and perhaps eight are the ones they will be keeping a close eye on although they will want to take advantage of any easy chances to make time on the others. Then again they could just sit up and look to put in a big effort on one or more of the other stages. I think they will have some sort of plan as they need to make quite a few minutes on evans, menchov and vandevelde. One of their big advantages is having a stronger team and they will be lookign to make use of this IMO.

My bet is that Cunego and Valverde will gain 20-40 secs on the others by attacking on the final climb.

Anticyclone said:
They would be much better off by using their energy on stages 16 or 17. For example there's a 10K flat part before Alpe d'Huez and two mountains before that so there they could really damage Evans. Cadel is in a pretty tough spot where he can't be completely sure which one (Schleck or Sastre) to follow so CSC should take advantage of that.

RdBiker said:
They would be much better off by using their energy on stages 16 or 17. For example there's a 10K flat part before Alpe d'Huez and two mountains before that so there they could really damage Evans. Cadel is in a pretty tough spot where he can't be completely sure which one (Schleck or Sastre) to follow so CSC should take advantage of that.

Actually i think for at least This stage its easy, follow Schleck. If Sastre puts in a really good attack, Menchov/VandeVelde will start to chase it down because we are a point where these guys are thinking of their podium places. Then when those 2 chase, just follow their wheels.

TheDarkLord said:
I just hope whoever has received fresh blood is not stupid enough to pull off a Vino act. That would sure set off the alarm bells.
I wonder if some people will be afraid to win a stage now.

They only announced the new test after the rest day.

Anticyclone said:
Ricco if there isnt a long breakaway? I think he will be targetting this stage, trying to stay with the main contenders on the one after the rest day and then trying to go again on alpe d'huez.
A good example of why you shouldn't do your analysis on a stage TOO far ahead in the current climate. ;)

Cunego doesn't know if he'll go for it today. But you would think Cunego and Valverde will try something. If they try something, the main GC contenders won't bother chasing them flat chat as they aern't a threat.

If any Columbian rider is in a breakaway today, it is Siutsou. That final climb looks a bit similar to the one in the tour of Georgia in which he won earlier in the year.

Kirchen will ride defensively tonight so that tells me that a Columbian rider may try and get in the break - Siutsou would be the perfect candidate as Lovkvist will be shadowing Kirchen.

Tips today

1. Siutsou in a breakaway
2. Cunego attacking on the last climb
3. Valverde attacking on the last climb

Drongo said:
I wonder if some people will be afraid to win a stage now.

They only announced the new test after the rest day.
Could have an interesting finish if a pair of riders in the lead both want to come second... Maybe they stop just before the line and prod each other to go first...
confused.gif

Frank Schleck to take yellow today and hold through to the time trial, I can't see Evans holding onto it today as he rarely attacks.

With 1 second Evans has to attack otherwise the yellow jersey is history, none of the contenders are going to wait and roll over the line with Evans when they have a chance for the jersey.

ad9898 said:
Frank Schleck to take yellow today and hold through to the time trial
A posability, but he'll need 3 minutes on evans to hold it after the time trial

Scotttri said:
A posability, but he'll need 3 minutes on evans to hold it after the time trial

Agreed, thats why i said upto the time trial, Evans will have to have a bad day now to lose the tour.

Although his team were rubbish yesterday on that 4th cat at the end of the stage and CSC were taking it real easy.