2008 Tour De France Stage 15 - Sunday, July 20: Embrun - Prato Nevoso, 183km

Crankyfeet said:
I wouldn't like to bonk like that with the amount of distance left in the stage... he might be soloing it in from here and struggling to make the time allowance.
Silence Lotto is a weak team.

So are the Italian police/CONI going to be waiting for anyone at the border?...
biggrin.gif

Crankyfeet said:
I wouldn't like to bonk like that with the amount of distance left in the stage... he might be soloing it in from here and struggling to make the time allowance.
Inevitable in a HC climb IMO. There are others who are also slowly popping off the back of the peloton, and I'm sure that they can get together and ride as a group.

Edit: The front group of four have crested Agnel. They still have a nice 13 min lead.

Bro Deal said:
Oooh. Windy. I hate descending canyons in gusty wind.
And there have been a few close calls already. Maybe the combination of the wind and narrow road. There are no guard rails in most places. Hope nobody goes off the road.

There have been some abandons today. Other than Mark Cavendish, Mark Renshaw and Stijn Devolder have retired.

thoughtforfood said:
I wonder what happened to Devolder?
He seemed to be suffering and was dropped in the climb. I don't know if he is ill.

The weather has taken a turn for the worse, and it is now raining. Voeckler, who attacked near the top of the climb for mountain points seems to be going off on his own, with a few riders trying to follow him.

TheDarkLord said:
The weather has taken a turn for the worse, and it is now raining. Voeckler, who attacked near the top of the climb for mountain points seems to be going off on his own, with a few riders trying to follow him.
I think he does this every stage. The dude should save his strength so he can make one real attempt once a week.

The peloton is going slow ATM waiting for news on Pereiro presumably, and the gap has increased by almost 4 minutes to 15:15.

The Eurosport commentators said they are hearing that it could be a broken collar bone for Pereiro.

Given how the gap is now 16:15 with just 80 km to go, it looks like the peloton is content with letting the four escapees go and take the stage win.

He's been taken to hospital - Pereiro out!

Looks like he went over the guard rail and fell to the road below - nasty. Multiple fractures.