People with rude remarks to recument riders

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I am sure all of you get this **** when your riding. The DF riders saying "Stand up and peddle".
Maybe a response from a bent ride should be "Can't it just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers
should clue the rest of them in, they have worn out "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with no
comment's what is wrong with people, it's a bicycle not a UFO.

I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle", he passed me and further
down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask if I had a tire pump. I responded yes but it only
works on recumbents.:) The guy was to stupid to comment on that.

I should just ignore all of them and enjoy my ride.

Comments ?

<Rising to the bait...>

Perhaps it would have been even better to stop and kindly offer what assistance you could. You would
have shown by your actions that regardless of what you choose to ride, you're also a better person.
The high ground can be a precarious place to stand, but it's almost always the best place to
stand... I may be showing my age, but I truly believe that if you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the problem.

<Spitting out the hook and swimming away...

Mike wrote:
> I am sure all of you get this **** when your riding. The DF riders saying "Stand up and peddle".
> Maybe a response from a bent ride should be "Can't it just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers
> should clue the rest of them in, they have worn out "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with
> no comment's what is wrong with people, it's a bicycle not a UFO.
>
> I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle", he passed me and further
> down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask if I had a tire pump. I responded yes but it
> only works on recumbents.:) The guy was to stupid to comment on that.
>
> I should just ignore all of them and enjoy my ride.
>
> Comments ?

I take those as good natured ribbing. I've been riding with the local club and am having fun. When
they say "What do you do about hills?" I say "I pedal, but standing up is NOT ALLOWED!" with a big
smile. I have found many of them are genuinely interested and nice.

I tell them about the history of bents, the speeds that are possible, etc. When they shake their
hands from wrist discomfort, I tell them I have a solution for that problem, but I keep it real
friendly like.

Last week a guy was complaining about the poor draft he was getting from me (in a good natured way),
so I said "Sorry about that, next time I'll ride a less efficient bike for you" :)

I think they are starting to respect me, but I did get whipped tonight in my first club time trial.
Those guys are hardcore.

Mike wrote:
> I am sure all of you get this **** when your riding. The DF riders saying "Stand up and peddle".
> Maybe a response from a bent ride should be "Can't it just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers
> should clue the rest of them in, they have worn out "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with
>
> I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle", he passed me and further
> down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask if I had a tire pump. I responded yes but it
>
>
> Comments ?
>
>
To paraphrase the line from that movie... "Riding a recumbent means you never have to stand."

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IMcDa.1120221$S_4.1153328@rwcrnsc53...
> Maybe a response from a bent ride should be "Can't
it
> just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers should clue the rest of them in, they have worn out
> "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with no
comment's
> what is wrong with people, it's a bicycle not a UFO.
>
> I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle",
he
> passed me and further down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask if
I
> had a tire pump. I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) The
guy
> was to stupid to comment on that.
>
>
> Comments ?

Wierd, I've never had anyone say that to me

Hi, Mike, you probably have the perfect solution to your problem right here when you say,

>>> "I should just ignore all of them and enjoy my ride.

Comments ? <<<

It'll probably relieve a lot of your stress.

Lewis.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<IMcDa.1120221$S_4.1153328@rwcrnsc53>...
>
>
>
> Comments ?

I get along pretty well with my DF bretheren. Frankly, some recumbent riders have thin skins...as do
some DF riders. My reaction to the few comments I have gotten' depends on my mood and the attitude
of deliverer. Last year on a century I was riding with a group of DFs. An organized pace line of 4
passed us and the lead rider said "Get a real bike"! I said to the group I was with "I'm gonna catch
em"! So I cranked it up. However, I stayed behind them and forced them to up their pace. The began
to be more concerned about me passing them than maintaining an time intervaled pace line. Finally
after about 8/10 miles of this I passed them them "rubber banded them" for 5 or so miles. At a
convience store about 10 miles from the end of this century, I stopped and got a gatoraid. I watched
as the passed. I got moving again...Their pace was down..well way down and part of the original
group I was with was just behin them. One said "I thought you were gonna catch them"? I said "I did
and I hurt them"...At this point of most centuries, the 90 mile mark with 104 left I was still
maitaining a fair pace. Eventually I saw the four again, they were laying on the grass sucking
liquid. I waved as I passed. As it turned out my truck was parked facing the end of the ride. I got
to to it put my bike to bed, got a cold one outta the cooler and stretched out on the hood. I
toasted the four again with my brewski as they passed. It was a hot day the first of many. The truth
is that I have a metabolism the works best in the heat. In the cooler times I have to overdress to
get up a lather. Sometimes this doesn't work either. I was riding a STRADA with the stock seat at
full recline. I also had about 2.5K of riding in most of it fast paced longish rides. This year with
all the rain and cooler than normal weather here I have....wait a minute...621 miles on the AERO,
say about 75 on the bikeE. Actually, I get so many positive remarks about my bikes that unless I'm
in a pissy mood I shed off the occaisional snide or snub. The world is full of morons and I resemble
that at times. The number of riders here is I'd say about 25% of what it normally
is. On Saturdays this time of the year large groups of tourers usually come here to ride the flat
nice roads and enjoy the seafood. Smaller groups of competitive and team riders are scarce also.
Visits to my shop by out of town riders is way down. Anyone interested in a nice Bacchetta stock
or custom? I would even consider possibly delivering it in the Mid Atlantic for the cost of UPS
ground. I actually did this last year...all the way to NY. Well I visited my sister too.
--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:anfDa.858957$Zo.196736@sccrnsc03...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IMcDa.1120221$S_4.1153328@rwcrnsc53...
> > I am sure all of you get this **** when your riding. The DF riders
saying
> > "Stand up and peddle". Maybe a response from a bent ride should be
"Can't
> it
> > just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers should clue the rest of them
in,
> > they have worn out "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with no
> comment's
> > what is wrong with people, it's a bicycle not a UFO.
> >
> > I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle",
> he
> > passed me and further down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask
if
> I
> > had a tire pump. I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) The
> guy
> > was to stupid to comment on that.
> >
> > I should just ignore all of them and enjoy my ride.
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> Wierd, I've never had anyone say that to me

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<IMcDa.1120221$S_4.1153328@rwcrnsc53>...
>
My stock answer is, "Why stand when you can sit?" Or, if I'm on my lowracer, I continue the thought
with, "...and why sit when you can lie down?" Then make a big show of snuggling down into the seat
with a large, contented sigh.

I wasn't there, but I don't think most riders have any animosity toward 'bent riders (but a
little friendly ribbing of a fellow cyclist is always fair play.) Don't sweat the comments, just
play along.

"I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) "

Hopefully one day when you are broke down on the side of the road needing something you don't have
or have forgotten that day, some one will be generous and stop and help. By acting as you did you
just confirmed that recumbent riders are a**holes to that rider .

This is sad because the vast majority of us can take a jab and jab back in fun. We also would be
happy to help someone in need.

Tom A

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IMcDa.1120221$S_4.1153328@rwcrnsc53...
> Maybe a response from a bent ride should be "Can't
it
> just too comfortable":) Some other DF'ers should clue the rest of them in, they have worn out
> "stand up and peddle". Why can't I ride with no
comment's
> what is wrong with people, it's a bicycle not a UFO.
>
> I did get sweet revenge on a DF rider who yelled "Stand up and peddle",
he
> passed me and further down the road got a flat. He had the nerve to ask if
I
> had a tire pump. I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) The
guy
> was to stupid to comment on that.
>
>
> Comments ?

Mike, I have responded that if stand up I loose the remote control for the TV and stereo, and I hate
when that happens.

Jim

Tom A wrote:
> "I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) "
>
> Hopefully one day when you are broke down on the side of the road needing something you don't have
> or have forgotten that day, some one will be generous and stop and help. By acting as you did you
> just confirmed that recumbent riders are a**holes to that rider .
>
> This is sad because the vast majority of us can take a jab and jab back in fun. We also would be
> happy to help someone in need.

I think it would have been best all around if he had made that joke AND stopped to help. Folks,
Karma is for real. Believe it!

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for legitimate replies.

"Tom A" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "I responded yes but it only works on recumbents.:) "

> This is sad because the vast majority of us can take a jab and jab back in fun.

Some people like taking jabs at each other, some don't. My friends don't jab me, and that is in part
why I call them friend. You can choose who you associate with, why be around people who use thinly
veiled 'humor' to try to hurt? Where I come from we call that ridicule or abuse. We have fun without
it being at another's expense.

happy trails, rorschandt

I had a guy say that "get a real bike" line. I just looked him right in the eye and said... "You're
not a very nice person, are you..." That left him speechless and ashamed. My experience is that the
general public gets a kick out of the bent, and they ask sincere questions about it. Most serious
roadies I encounter ignore me and the bike - with a few exceptions.

-Geoff Saber R64

Mike wrote:
>
>
>
> Comments ?

"Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <Rising to the bait...>
>
> Perhaps it would have been even better to stop and kindly offer what assistance you could. You
> would have shown by your actions that regardless of what you choose to ride, you're also a better
> person. The high ground can be a precarious place to stand, but it's almost always the best place
> to stand... I may be showing my age, but I truly believe that if you're not part of the solution,
> you're part of the problem.
>
> <Spitting out the hook and swimming away...>

I agree. I find that most remarks about my bents are in good humor and not malicious. I find that
those DF riders that are genuinely being disrespectful are basically a**holes anyway and would still
be a**holes, no matter what you are riding. One has to be careful not to misinterpret or overreact
to remarks made in a jesting manner, even though they may not seem to be at the time. Just jest back
with them and if they really can't take it, then screw 'em, just ignore them and let it go. Of
course, it doesn't hurt that if this happens, you can just pull away and drop them.

Harry Jiles

"Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I get along pretty well with my DF bretheren. Frankly, some recumbent riders have thin skins...as
> do some DF riders.

As do I. I find that personality really isn't connected to the kind of bike one rides.

> Last year on a century I was riding with a group of DFs. An organized pace line of 4
> passed us and the lead rider said "Get a real bike"! I said to the group I was with "I'm
> gonna catch em"! So I cranked it up. However, I stayed behind them and forced them to up
> their pace. The began to be more concerned about me passing them than maintaining an time
> intervaled pace line. Finally after about 8/10 miles of this I passed them them "rubber
> banded them" for 5 or so miles. At a convience store about 10 miles from the end of this
> century, I stopped and got a gatoraid. I watched as the passed. I got moving again...Their
> pace was down..well way down and

This is also my favorite tactic for a paceline of obvious snobs with overstuffed egos. I like to
ride up along the left side to the front of the paceline, on my Baron, ride along the side of the
lead rider, water bottle in one hand, and make some small talk about the weather(wind, heat, etc}.
Usually they do pick up the pace and after some time of hanging with them, I will announce that I
have to get going and pull away. I can watch them in my mirror as they go completely anaerobic as
they try to keep up and then drop off big time. If they were particularly, openly nasty, I will back
off, after a while, let them pull close, as I recover, and then turn it on and drop them again.

I don't have this happen often, but when it does, I find most of the previously rude, snobbish
riders will show much more respect to me, after the ride, although it is sometines grudgingly
painful for them. Obviously you have to be able to pull this off, for it to be effective, but I have
found that the truely strong, racer-type DF riders, which can best me, are almost always quietly
respectful, even if not openly and vocally friendly. I find the outspoken, openly nasty types are
almost always racer wanabees, who like to talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Harry Jiles

"Philbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <Rising to the bait...>
>
> Perhaps it would have been even better to stop and kindly offer what assistance you could. You
> would have shown by your actions that regardless of what you choose to ride, you're also a better
> person. The high ground can be a precarious place to stand, but it's almost always the best place
> to stand... I may be showing my age, but I truly believe that if you're not part of the solution,
> you're part of the problem.
>
> <Spitting out the hook and swimming away...>

Some recumbent riders can really have an attitude too. For example, one I was riding along when I
saw a couple on two Visions. So I stopped to chat. The guy of the two then said "We are not
cyclists, we are recumbent riders". The last time I checked, a recumbent was still a bicycle. Snobs
are everywhere! Thank God for those who aren't.

Normally my conversations with other cyclist during my commutes are good. My commutes serve pretty
much as my only type of physical workout anymore, and I tend to ride as fast as I safely can. I
usually ride faster than other bike commuters. I say hi to every other cyclist I pass and normally I
get a good response. Sometime I'm ignored, but I can only remember one person who gave me a real
negative response: This guy was riding a DF road bike and he didn't acknowledge my wave and hello as
I passed him. No big deal, but then I had to stop at the red light and he rode up next to me and
asked me "what' s the deal, why are you riding THAT THING"? I told him it [my V-Rex] was more
comfortable and fun to ride than my road bike. He said something like "I never saw anyone that could
ride a recumbent bike fast" (strange and stupid thing to say, I thought, since I just had passed
him). I told him my V-Rex was a pretty fast bike. He literally rolled his eyes, gave me a look of
disgust, and said something like "yeah right, ********." Anyway, when the light turned green he
jumped in front of me and cut me off, since it was a busy road and he was obviously a ***** I just
stayed behind him until he turned off.

The next day I saw him again, I decided to really show him how fast a recumbent bike could be and
gave it all I got. When I went passed him I was going 31 mph, he noticed me just before I passed and
stood up to try to match pace, but I didn't slow down much until he was just a tiny little dot in my
rear-view mirror. I was physically spent from this 2-mile sprint, but it was well worth it in my
mind. I still see him occasionally on my commutes and he still won't acknowledge my wave when I pass
him, but he has no interest in a rematch and doesn't attempt to match my pace.

Brian Tailwind/V-Rex

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (harryo) wrote:

>
> I agree. I find that most remarks about my bents are in good humor and not malicious.

Yes, I am always surprised by the comments on this forum about negative remarks from DF'ers. In the
four years I've been bent I've only heard one negative comment, and that was from a pedestrian who
looked at my Rotator Tiger and said, "Clown bike." Cyclists either ignore me or are friendly. I've
had a few joking remarks like, "lying down on the job, huh?", etc., but I take those as I think they
are meant, in good humor.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2

--
Bill Hole [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.